Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest GNRS! Who's going?? Other car related tips is welcome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Me and my friend Ludde is coming over from Sweden for a two week vaccation and will go to that show and we will also go and see some other cool cars and stuff. Could be cool to meet some Hambers if possible. If u got any cool car related tips feel free to share? Going to LA and SF but has no real travelplan. We will properbly take one day at a time. We will stay in Glendora for the first 3 nights tough.

2. I got to go for the first time last year. We went to the Petersen Museum. That was amazing, if you go take the vault tour too. I thought it was well worth it.
    Also check out the NHRA Museum. It is right there on the Fairplex grounds, very cool.

6-bangertim likes this.
  3. Was on both Petersen and NHRA museum last time. But thats 17 years ago. So will properbly go again

4. Visit the Nethercutt museum, in Sylmar. Really worth a visit. Not hot rod oriented, but a truly great automotive museum.

5. If you have the time Hearst Castle is also worth seeing.

The37Kid and Special Ed like this.
  6. Thanx. Will check it up

The37Kid likes this.
  7. Never been there before so might check it up

8. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

I'll be there Saturday helping to park all th drive-ins!!!!

9. Cool. Dont know yet witch day we will go there tough

10. I'll be there with my brother and two Danes whom both have Rods...we're doing nethercutt on Thursday, bobs big boy Friday night for sure...I'll Be wearing my "Skiderik" shirt sat at GNRS

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. We arrive on Thursday and going to Glendora where we will stay for 3 nights. Bobs big boy om Friday sounds like a good thing to do

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Norrland,
    If you are planning on going to the Peterson again, you might want to drive south (near the beach to El Segundo) to the Automobile Driving Museum. Then farther southeast to Long Beach (about 30 min.) all freeway... to the newest auto museum at Price Transfer. (near the old Lions Dragstrip location) check out the web for photos of each. They are small, but very nice. Price Transfer has one of the largest Willys collections around and they have a rebuilding cars section at the warehouse. Possible lunch in a 50's diner at Price Transfer. Call ahead for hours and availability. A new look at cars in So Cal.
    Have fun,
    Jnaki
    Freeways in all of So Cal start getting crowded around 3:00 pm until 7:00 pm, so plan ahead.
    I have no connection to either museum other than they have some of my films.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My pops roadster will be in the suede palace. IMG_1130.JPG

Deuce-Deano likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Admission is FREE, call ahead and take the guided tour of the Mail Salon and music box collection, you'll thank me later. Bob

hotroddon likes this.
  15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

16. toml24

toml24

Upon your arrival in Southern California there are a number of places to visit. They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 250 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me, it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Might tasty.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

17. Heading down with friends from Northern Ca on Friday-Sunday.
    No car entered this year, Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    ---Dean

18. Its the first time ever to GNRS. Think i heard about it in 1984 the first time and i think it was then i decided to add it to the so called Bucketlist

The37Kid likes this.
  19. Safe Travels -- your in for a hell of a fun time. I'm looking forward to just going this year. Had the roadster in the AMBR comp last year and attended from Wednesday thru Sunday. Got to reconnect with a bunch of friends that I hadn't seen for some time. Forgot what I had been missing.

20. Had som crazy plans to take my friends 41 Lincoln coupe with trailer and have it shown there but we had to cool our wild planes a little. But maybe next year. Its a cool looking car and trailer

21. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I will be there. Looks like some great cars showing up this year.

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Local to Pomona is San Dimas:

Early Ford Store is a must

Bonita Antiques, lots of Tiki stuff (real not repo) Sam is a good man

San Dimas Hardware, old style hardware store that still sell black iron skillets

23. I'd say hit some Tiki joints out there... Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach is good... Tiki Ti in LA...

24. Thanx for all tips. Will try to see as much as possible.

25. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

This will be my first trip, plan on going to Peterson on Thursday then drive to Pomona

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Is the NHRA museum basically on the fairgrounds? And does anyone know the parking situation there, I imagine it's expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. I'll be there with a few buddies again this year. Does anybody know of any open houses going on during the GNRS? Is the Early Ford Store? Old Crow? Vintage Hammer? So-Cal Speed Shop?

APACHE FS likes this.
  28. toml24

toml24

APACHE FS likes this.
  29. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Working out trying to get in shape for the grueling 45 minute drive to the Fairplex !

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I dont know about the other places,but there was a mention in daddio211's model T thread,that the So-Cal Speedshop will have an open house at that weekend.

Norrland likes this.