Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Studebaker People

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Sitting back of my shop for sale
    Very solid 350/350 some assembly required does run

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

It puzzles me why people have become so insistent that low mileage and "one owner" cars are more valuable simply because of their mileage or the fact that they had only one owner. Those concepts used to be a short-hand, used mostly by used car salesmen, to indicate the car's great condition, without discussing real concepts, like compression tests and, well . . . the car's ACTUAL condition.

But when a single owner allowed the car to fall into terrible disrepair, does the fact that the car only had one owner have any meaning? If the "low mileage" car was dismantled, rodents roamed the interior, and the engine allowed to rust inside from disuse and poor storage, is there any meaning left to the idea that it's a "low mileage" car? There are times when the shorthand marketing terms for a creampuff, cherry used car become meaningless and aren't worth mentioning.

I recently saw an ad for a car here on the HAMB, where the seller was proud of the idea that the car had only one owner (before the current seller bought it). He seemed to think that the fact of a single owner was somehow meaningful, despite the fact that the single owner had used the car up, crashed it several times, parked it in a field, and let the elements and the local kids destroy it for forty years. That's about as ludicrous as mentioning the low mileage on a car that is dismantled, abandoned mid-project and in need of work in every way. At some point, the mileage simply makes no difference anymore, and isn't worth mentioning.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Nothing to see here... :)
    The engine needs a freshening, however.

4. In my case, the "low mileage" was a totally rust free, dent free, unabused, complete, stored inside car...

s55mercury66, czuch and Texas Webb like this.
  5. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Are you schizophrenic? :p

loudbang likes this.
  6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I don't have one, allways wanted one.
    I do have a case of Studebaker script oil filters though.
    Lovin estate sales. The guy bought out "Lots".

7. 327Eric

327Eric

One owner, even if negleted is much more appealing the truth. All my cars have been whores, saved from neglectful, Abusive owners. None ran. Most had a rod knock, and died between 86 and 98k miles. At last count the 55 had parts from 27 different cars, including the hood off of Cole Cutlers 53 bonneville car

loudbang likes this.
  8. dos zetas

dos zetas

Love them, had 1 (54 Champ), none right now...

9. I must confess, though it's a bit older than most. I bought it when I was a sophomore, that was a long time ago (I've been on S.S. for a while now). There has been others along with it over the years.
    The Wizzard
    32 Studebaker.jpg

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Having a Studebaker "car" is one thing...
    Having a car (ANY car) that is Stude powered...now there is a masochist.
    I've done a LOT of grinding/bench testing to learn what the Studebaker cylinder head can produce. Had some adjustable cam drives made, some roller cams made, know a guy that modifies Chrysler manifolds to fit the Stude engine.

Like a machine shop owner friend once told me...ANYONE...can make a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler run well, takes a masochist to make horse power with a Stude engine..!

Mike

vtx1800 and loudbang like this.
  11. I'm another one.
    20160410_113312.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Surfcityrocker and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. Bengt Forsberg

Bengt Forsberg
    from Sweden

Here is some pics from my build of a 55 Studebaker Champion. The chassie is scratchbuild with a Jag rear and Mustang II frontend and Wilwood brakes. IMG_2745-S.jpg IMG_2748-S.jpg IMG_2799-S.jpg IMG_2924-S.jpg IMG_3109-S.jpg The engine is Ford 351W and BorgWarner T5 gearbox and I hope to do a testdriving this summer.

13. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Been there, done that. Last attempt was Studebakers last stand 401 AMC motor.

68 amx.jpg

14. jroberts

jroberts

Yep there are a bunch of us here. Glad to have you here with us. One of mine is the '61 Champ in my avitar is powered by a Studebaker R1 V8. Has a T85 three speed w/overdrive. My other Studebaker is a '65 Cruiser that my uncle bought new. It is now under a rebuild getting ready to drive to South Bend for the 2017 Studebaker International Meet. Since the '65 came with a Canadian GM 283 from the factory, we have rebuilt it with a few modifications. Though a 4-door I wanted it to handle so I have added an oversized front sway bar, a rear sway bar, quick steering arms and lowered a couple of inches. It came with a Dana 44 with Twin Traction and that remains.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  15. Denny Foust

Denny Foust

Like so many others here, I, too, have a weakness for Studebakers. I have a '39 Coupe Express now going through final body work 350/700-R4/Ford 9", a 1941 Commander Sedan Coupe 350/350/Camaro rear, a barn find '41 President 4-dr Sedan with 31,000 original miles (For Sale), and '54 Studebaker Champion with a 350/700-R4,Ford 9" combination.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested in a rust-free '41 President 4-dr Sedan with NO rust-out.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. dan@larescorp

dan@larescorp

You can put my name on that list.

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-19_5-58-7.png upload_2017-3-19_5-58-18.png
    (Pm me if you would like the rest of this long article on the Golden Hawk)
    Hello,

Ever since I saw one on the street as a little kid, I was fascinated by this weird looking finned car. The Studebaker Golden Hawk (March 1957 edition of Hot Rod Mag) made me want to read all about it. The odd thing was that I never liked reading about tech articles, as they just kept going on and on. Short attention span plus wanting to see those great photos and features drew me back month after month…not those drone humming articles about valve lash, adjusting, installing, gear ratio mix, etc. This kid just liked seeing all of those cool looking hot rods and customs.

But, for some unknown reason, the first page of the tech article on this Studebaker Hawk kept me interested for days. It was the only Studebaker with a McCulloch supercharger stock from the factory. But it had a funny name, “Jet stream”supercharger. No, I could not finish the whole article in one sitting. I remember it took me several days of stopping, going to another photo feature car, coming back to read a little more, etc. Finally after many days, I was able to finish this super long article. (6 full pages and four 1/3rd columns inbetween more fascinating advertisements for Honest Charley and a myriad of cool ads for parts.) 16 sec and 82 mph for the ¼ was fine for us. Faster than my dad’s big, Buick Roadmaster at 18 and 79 mph. I was impressed with the Hawk’s cool fins and the sporty look. I could imagine this car lowered or on a rake with Moon Discs or mag wheels.

I must have been influenced by this article for more than just information. Later on in 1961, I liked the writings of the author, Racer Brown. He was a journalist that started a camshaft company that was popular in the 60’s. We installed one of his first Racer Brown Cam and solid lifters sets in our 1958 Impala 348/280 hp motor. Of course, I was given the weekly responsibility of adjusting all of the solid lifters to make sure they did not make any noise. It was as quiet as if we still had our hydraulic cam in there. So, it must have made more than 280 stock horsepower. It certainly felt more powerful. No more A/Stock class for this car.

Jnaki

But, I ask my self, what happened to that kid that read the “tech” article? Maybe after that article, the rest of the tech articles got too boring or something. If memory serves me correctly, those tech pages were/are the fastest skimmed parts of any magazine. In looking back, that Studebaker with the cool motor, images of the car cruising in our home town with Moon Discs…wow…That is how memories still linger.

This Studebaker body style did make a cool Bonneville racer for many, always decked out with all sorts of streamlining and those ever present, Moon Discs. Street version? It certainly would draw a ton of looks on any street, lowered with Moon Discs.

Our continued likes for the Studebakers showed up in 1959-60 with the supercharged sedans of Junior Thompson and Al Hirshfield. These two were always at the top of the Supercharged Gas Coupes And Sedans classes all over the So Cal dragstrips.
    upload_2017-3-19_5-59-26.png upload_2017-3-19_5-59-37.png upload_2017-3-19_5-59-49.png

dana barlow and mgtstumpy like this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Wow, that thing looks like an Aardvark, or a Star Trek salt monster!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  19. jroberts

jroberts

Remember that factory supercharged Studebakers did not end with the last two years of Golden Hawks, '57 and '58. In 1963 and 1964 R2 and R3 engines were available not only in the Avanti, but also Larks and GT Hawks. These Paxton supercharged engines, along with R1 non-supercharged performance engine, set many records on the salt. R1 and R2 engines were 289 cubic engines while the R3 engines were 304 cubic inches. There was also an R4 engine which had 304 cubic inches, but had two four bbl carbs and was not supercharged.
    [​IMG]
    The above is a shot of the factory's attempts at many records on the salt. As you can see they ran on Allstate tires. All sorts of records were recording during these attempts.
    [​IMG]
    This is the late Ron Hall's record setting Avanti on the salt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    dana barlow, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  20. studeynut

studeynut

1929 Dictator cabriolet, 39 President 4 dr., 40 Commander 2dr., 49 Champion 4 dr., 49 1/2ton pu., 49 2 ton truck............GUILTY

loudbang likes this.
  21. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Havent had the privlige of owning one yet, but will some day. A very good friend of mine has a sweet little mild custom Lark.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

loudbang likes this.
  23. My old Commander Coupe, pic borrowed from someone on the net.
    [​IMG]My Studie Powered Model A
    [​IMG]

Motor in the Model A with a rare STU-V intake
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  24. jroberts

jroberts

The styling of the Avanti was certainly ahead of its time, but the rest of the car was old stuff. The frame was a Lark convertible item and the engine had been around since 1951. Still it was a great attempt to bolster the brand, but as you say it was just too late.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Studes are the coolest of all. I have a 54 Coupe that I built in 2010 and been having a ball bracket and heads up racing. There's a 63 Lark 2dr Sedan in the Barn waiting and I'm currently working on a 53 Coupe Gasser. Hopefully the Gasser will make a pass sometime this year ! Good luck with yours !

loudbang likes this.
  26. stude5dog

stude5dog

I am a stude fan also. Here is my 55 stude. Fun hot rod to drive.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  27. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for sharing all the cool Stude stuff folks. I have had a couple and always loved them.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Wallaby

Wallaby

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  29. Silverplate

Silverplate

loudbang likes this.
  30. I don't own one but I've done some artwork of a couple of pretty wild concepts. Maybe somebody will build one....Or maybe string me up for blasphemy :eek:

80.jpg race car2.jpg

vtx1800, 40FORDPU, Jet96 and 3 others like this.