Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hear you on that. I would love to go 4 gear racing but its to much $$$$$ for me.
    I can build auto trans for less and have just as much fun.

mad mikey and Valiant Thor like this.
  2. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

WillyB apparently my ladder bars are going to fall apart long before they ever yank this pig in the air. I have been told I'm "unsafe at any speed" by some experts....cough-cough-gag. I know they really are experts too because...well...they told me so. HAHAHAHA!!!

mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  3. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Exactly!! I was going to have near 7k in just tranny, clutch and bell housing going stick shift. No thanks. That and I like to go straight and fast not side to side bouncing down the track like a crazed rabbit.

saltflats and mad mikey like this.
  4. I hear ya. I run a full manual auto in the coupe, Its fun, fast, and consistent !

loudbang, Valiant Thor and saltflats like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I get bashed a bunch because I don't have a 4 gear in my 409 car. But that's okay with me. I am still having a blast with it.
    But if someone wants to step up and sponsor a 4 gear program for I am all ears.

6. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Hard to knock that combination! For about $2500-3000 I can have a glide that is damn near indestructible. Easy on parts too.

X--GASSER and saltflats like this.
  7. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Best way to quiet the stick shift crowd is to put 'em on trailers. They can fap their joysticks and I'm gonna one and done them right back to the pits.

X--GASSER and saltflats like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's it....Having fun and shutting people up or back to work on the tune up.

loudbang and Valiant Thor like this.
  9. Wow, you're back on the build and nice to see it, I don't frequent the place like I used to but cool to see this pop up on the first page. Sounds like you plan on some changes to the old 56 but also sounds like you have a direction you want to go in too, good luck and I'll be watching.

Valiant Thor likes this.
  10. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Tomorrow should be a fun day on the car. She's going under the knife for the first of a series of surgeries. It's getting fun again.

saltflats likes this.
  11. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Oh yeah man we definitely do and it's good to see you too buddy! Planning on pushing the front axle forward about 3 inches so it should look pretty gnarly when the front is flipped over because it already has 12 inches of setback from the original axle location. Super excited to be back on it.

swade41 likes this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sorry to hijack your thread for a minute here Valiant Thor,but I need to vent for a minute.

Willy B: Why don't you go build your own shit instead of whining about other people's cars and constantly shit talking and making excuses?
    Bring a car out,so you've got something to shit-talk about.;)

And that Mopar is no more pro-street than this one:
    [​IMG]

It's easy to be an "expert" from the cheap seats....If you ever want to get any respect or be taken seriously,show up in the pits someplace with a real live car,then make some passes.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

II FUNNY and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Dadgumm! I figured I was the one about to catch some hell, but nope. At least not yet.....;)

powrshftr likes this.
  14. I got a whole new chassis on the J, cheated it an inch to 101,and went back a couple inches more with the big block than the old small block, can't really notice the stretch though. badmoonrebuild.jpg hjframenewside.jpg

loudbang, powrshftr and Valiant Thor like this.
  15. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

That J has come a long way. Really looking good! After looking at your wheelbase we might even push mine out a bit more than 3 inches.

swade41 likes this.
  16. HJnew.jpg The front dropped a bit with the real engine and trans from the speculated height when building the chassis, it looks a little more stretched on this angle. The higher the front the less it looks stretched I guess. henryjnew2.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  17. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

That makes sense. Hard to tell yours is pushed forward much at all. We are going to lop the front end off tomorrow and I guess just have to move it around to see what looks good. I want all that precious wheelbase we can find.

swade41 likes this.
  18. Bean glad you're back but - if you don't like the Joy Stick boys anymore, take the "South East" out of the thread title LOL

19. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

I would if I could, but I ain't in control of that anymore.... aaaaaaaand I didn't say I didn't like the Southeast Gassers I actually said I do like them. I just ain't running with you guys due to funds and the fact I like to go straight and pretty. You silly man

20. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

I mentioned a few pages back I considered starting a new thread because the title doesn't mesh with the car anymore, but kinda hard to dump a thread this deep in the game. I guess I could just post a link from the new thread to this one. Why the hell not??!;)

Ok fellers...this thread is now dead. I'll start the new one tomorrow and post a link to it from here.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I will have to mark it as a watched thread now that your getting your shit straight.

powrshftr and Valiant Thor like this.
  22. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

I try my best to be obliging:D

saltflats likes this.
  23. WillyB

WillyB

You got any folks building with you for this 'bash' thing?
    I remember in the old days when they would fill the stands
    with a north vs south, or when 2 fuel dragsters came out to
    match race. One I remember really well was when Cris Karamacinni (sp)
    went out the end of South Glens Falls (NY) and ended up where they later
    ran I87, the Northway. HUGE cloud of black smoke in the forest.
    He was OK, car wasn't.

24. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

No not really, but I have some ideas on how to get some guys interested. I have spoke to Steve Crook "Blew By You" and he said he's game when mine comes together. One idea I had was to have a deal where everybody shows up at an event and throws $100 in a hat and then winner takes all. Not enough to hurt any feelings, but get 10 cars or more and you got enough to make people interested in winning.

gasser-a-go-go and saltflats like this.
  25. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

First off, glad to see you are back. Second, I'll put in a c-note and come play once the new motor is done for the stude. I'll probably be the slowest car in the bunch. But who knows, stuff breaks, people red light, etc. Where you planning on doing this? Would be cool to do it at Little River. Don't know if the likes of Blew By You would come run that little podunk track. Don't mean that in a bad way, love to race there. Stude has changed a bit since last time I saw you. 455819-1364130577-263169d0a084842d3bcc4ee82b520d49.jpg IMG_20160407_033637.jpg

Valiant Thor likes this.
  26. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Cool man! We can just race for fun that's fine too. I was just throwing out an idea I had for a bigger event like Texas Thaw or maybe White Walls.Just something a little different. No ,Crook is used to events like Bowling Green so he would never venture this way. I was hoping to race him maybe at meltdown one year. Stude is looking real good!

27. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Gonna try and do the Thaw again this year. Whenever it gets rained out, or SNOWED out, it's hard for me to make the rain dates. Oh well, just keep trying. And again, welcome back. Can't wait to see yours done.

Valiant Thor likes this.
  28. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

Thank you! I'm happy to be back. I can't hardly wait to see it myself. Really excited about it and I'm having a good time getting in James's way at the shop.

29. WillyB

WillyB

You'd better get some wheelie bars... looks like you'll need 'em!

30. Valiant Thor

Valiant Thor

New thread is called

"The Vagabond" Match Basher Build