Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife's new paint delivery van

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Paint Guru, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Must have been a really tall guy that moved the windshield. Please put it back.... unless that wonderful wife of yours is over 6'6".
    When I was a teenager there was a 33 or 34 or maybe a 35 (hood and grill were gone) panel truck sitting along an abandoned stretch of road a couple hundred miles from here that had a big ugly hump in the roof right behind the drivers seat. That doesn't sound right. The roof of the truck raised up seems like 8 or 10 inches behind the drivers seat. Apparently that was to increase head room in the cargo bay, but I couldn't stand the look of it. If it had had this roof, I would have rescued it. Someone else eventually did. Really a great looking truck you got.

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Nothing is cooler on a hot rod than gloss black that looks 6 inches deep... but, man those are some really long panels to get perfectly straight. Maybe something loud to grab attention for your bill board, like safety yellow.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

PANEL TRUCK ON STEROIDS. :cool: Lots of rubbing down and no fingerprints!!!:eek:
    That raised screen does look a little dorky though, it was the first thing I saw and wondered why? I've seen other panels with spare tyres behind the passenger door but none without spare tyre before.

loudbang likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ill have to say I think its Fugly, but will make a great shop truck.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Stogy and ironrodder like this.
  6. chriseakin

chriseakin

Dodge built a hump-back delivery in the thirties.

Fly'n Kolors and upspirate like this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

That'll buff out!!! LOL nice truck

8. Had to scroll back and look at the pics in the original post re:windshield.
    Has a very "surprised" look on its face with the opening so high!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Good thing you have an in with a"paint guru":rolleyes::p.Happy New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On top of a TH425C, in the front. Put a trailer drop-axle in the rear, and lower the rear frame rails super low.

11. Great truck you got there. I love that you're keeping the functionality of the vehicle. And you know what they say "happy wife, happy life "

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or find a mid-70's GMC motorhome chassis, and shorten/narrow to taste (and ditch the second rear axle).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I just spent a few minutes looking at pictures on Google. Must have been about a 37 Dodge. None of them looked just like I remember, but it's been 40 years since I saw it, ha, ha.
    I'm likin' this Ford much better.

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. Will be watching. Good make a cool truck

16. that's one long mamah jamah

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

As big as that truck is, I think I'd use at least 3/4 ton stuff under it, if not 1 ton. Would look good with duals inside the rear fenders at the expense of some interior room, plus would give it more hauling ability. A 215/75/16 tire would probably fit the wells real good and not look like a semi tire under there. An old class C motorhome could be pirated for running gear, a lot of them are low mileage and have everything from 350's to 460's in them, depending on brand.

18. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Unfortunately she has a color in mind, she made this purple color for a car hauler about 6 months ago, and wants to do a antique white on fenders and running board. 1483455038934.jpg

I have plenty of time to change her mind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Yea, the guy I bought it from was in a wheelchair and a shop raised the window so he could drive it and see out. That is the one thing I want to change- get that back down to normal height. One problem is that the dash was raised as well..... All the more reason the wife should let me buy a new welder.
    One of my friends said to start having paint classes and make people work on it!

20. scotts52

scotts52

Sweet looking rig. I'm thinking about trying to bring home an old IHC 1 ton. Waiting for spring.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. That would have made a great mobile party wagon as a young bloke.
    Be great decked out as a camper.A bike would slot in there as well.

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  22. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

It's awesome ... I was a little curious about the windshield too.

That's is A LOT of real estate to prep and paint ! I did a 55 panel truck and I'm cringing about this one , haha

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Should have no trouble finding it in a parking lot. Pretty cool find.

24. All that purple with white fenders might need something to tie them together better; for example purple scallops on the fenders and white ones on the purple body.. Just an idea. Anyhoo, very cool project! Will be watching this one with interest!

Dave

25. really cool hauler!
    you do realize the paint and body work have to be perfect? my arms are sore just thinking about it.....;):cool:

volvobrynk, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  26. wicarnut

wicarnut

Happy Wife, Happy Life !

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  27. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Oh yeah, I can't half ass anything because my customers pick apart everything I paint. I am definitely outsourcing the bodywork to be roughed in. Just blocking from the door back is Almost 80 square feet!
    I did pull top layer of paint off of the rear doors. Perfect example of bodyfiller going over bare metal vs epoxy first... But that's a different discussion.
    1483536983593.jpg
    1483537000981.jpg
    You can definitely see moisture went through the bodyfiller.
    We are going to start on the inside, all the wood has been replaced with metal, and the metal is flash rusting, so I am going to sand / wire brush then use the dtm reducer and epoxy.... That is if this new scuff wheel thing comes in. The guys doing bedliners use it and it is nylon and has grit on it. It connects to a variable speed buffer. It is supposed to work wonders for hard to reach areas. Here is a picture of the tool.
    1483537421745.jpg

28. loudbang

loudbang

Industrial strength scotchbrite brush that is progress. :p

volvobrynk and Paint Guru like this.
  29. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

That is awesome!

Paint Guru likes this.
  30. wouldn't it be better, cheaper, faster to have it blasted? i wouldn't waste my time with that brush thing.

volvobrynk likes this.