Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milk truck wheels = crazy money

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392_hemi, Mar 28, 2006.

1. 392_hemi

392_hemi

The pair on ebay sold for $3,500. Wow!!!

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Do you know the listing #?
    I'd like to see 'em.

Josh

3. McFly

McFly

You know...I was watching this just for shits and giggles.....but thats just fucking ridiculous!

Item number: 4623614006

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

You mean this guy is probably out of luck? :rolleyes:

5. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Looks like it. I figured they'd go for about $2k. Guy musta wanted them pretty bad to spend that kinda money.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

He's not out of luck. I found mine at an estate sale. They're out there, just waiting to be found.

Thanks for the # McFly.

Josh

7. And to think we found one at the swapmeeet here two years ago for $20.....

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

I'd give $40.oo each, tops.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

10. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

11. Muttley

Muttley

These guys will feel pretty stupid when someone starts repoping them.

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

That's what I've been waiting for... wasn't some dirtbag in Oklahoma selling them?

13. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I once traded one to Eric Chalupta.(big crunchy taco) at So-Cal for 4 t-shirts.No shit.

The picture of the same exact wheel is someone's "avatar?"

Bruce had put them on his car years ago,when I was a FNG.Check Hop Up online July 2001.(god damn it's been five years!) what was Jimmy White doing then?

Great car,had a blast when he was building it...and a couple (3) beers.

Hopupmag.com

Attached Files:

• bruc.jpg
      bruc.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  14. The picture of the same exact wheel is someone's "avatar?"

No, the one on 'Them!' s (Bob Green) avatar is one of the two I sold him. Took that pic on my porch.

15. do all the divco milk trucks have this style of wheel? i think i remember seeing 3 of these trucks rusting away to nothing a few hours from here. for this kind of money i may just take a little road trip this weekend. chachingggg.

16. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sorry man these are not from any Divco Milk truck. They are Ford wheels just called Divcos because they where usually found on Milk truck type panel truck. Apparently you could order these wheels to get a bit higher ground clearance. As of now I'm actually the lucky owner of a pair of these but for the bigger 36-39 bolt circle. They are even rarer.

BTW would someone repop these and maybe the S.Co.T blower then a couple of guys would have their pension fund drastically cut :eek:

//Magnus

17. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I will stick to my 18" Ford wires for $25.00 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I guess the two I've been using to store my garden hoses should be brought inside rather than bolted to the side of my house. Probably should have a rider on my homeowner's insurance too. This is just plain off the wall. $1750 a piece?

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I would love to be a milkman, there isn't much demand these days, but the wheels from their trucks are quite valuable, I guess.

I wonder if milkmen got a lot of pussy from desperate housewives, they do in bawdy British comedies.

20. tjm73

tjm73

They start bringing that kind of money and they'll be re-popped before long.

21. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Don Ferguson (they guy doing the Ardun heads) is working on repoping the SCoT blower. He confirmed this in an e-mail to me about six months ago. He couldn't provide an estimated delivery time or price at that point.

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Model A and Deuce roadsters, Deuce three windows, E&J headlights, quickchange rear ends, Ardun heads, dropped axles, Ford spindles, Deuce frame rails, flathead speed parts, and Stromberg 97's.

Just stop and think about what's involved to produce something like this. Now realize that hot rodders are likely the only market willing to purchase a heavy 18" wheel that is four inches wide with a 5 on 5.5 bolt circle.

I only do goofy wheel covers and tooling was... alot more involved than most people realize.

Hats off to whomever reproduces this wheel. No, they probaly won't be selling for $1750 each, but you can bet whoever does it will have a lot of time and tooling costs to cover - add the marketability of "Divco" and you can probably multiply by two at least.

23. tjm73

tjm73

Well if I was going to produce this part for the rodding market I'd do it in aluminum to save weight and I'd use a CNC machine and "weather" the parts to look cast. Why? Cause it's fast and cheap...realitivly of course. Plus once the program is saved, the wheels could be produced on demand and carrying inventory (ie carrying cost) would be significantly reduced.

If you wanted to re-pop as original, the stamping dies are probably out there someplace.

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is what I'm talking about. Holy batshit man. You realize what kind of dough you would have wrapped up in materials and time for that? I do, because one of my best friends runs this place.

Super Rat Machine Works

Now consider the market. There will not be nearly as big a demand for a "Divco styled" billet wheel with a faux cast or weathered finish.

To be brutally honest, I think you would loose your ass on a project like that. Stamping dies were/are recycled all of the time. No one is going to set on that much raw material for fifty plus years.

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Eric,
    It's Chaputa! I don't think that he'd like to be refered to as a Chalupa:D Yeah,good ol Eric is how I got my 1st qc & now a totally disassembled aborted belly tank that he,Lefty and I were to be working on. As well as a now gone 64 Riv that he had origianally bought from Coonan kept for a few months then wholesaled it to me. I turned it last year-now resides in Sweeden.
    I've know Eric since high school, he has since the departure from So-Cal has left the Rod scene to do a gig that pays money;), buiding sets for the studios & concentrating on his band, we still talk time to time, but sh*t! if
    I'd known he had those wheels,I'd have told him to keep them for our belly tanker project(You did say that you traded him 4 shirts right:confused:)
    Rest assured folks, The correct milk truck wheel continuation is well underway, can't say who's making them yet though, but the centers are already being stamped as prototypes=stay tuned!, they'll be a bit costly
    but nowhere as near what that set on ePay went for.

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I had heard the rumors. It will be cool to see it happen.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm curious to see if the guy who bought 'em will actually use them.
    I plan on driving the piss outta my pick-up with 'em on! Burn-outs and all.
    Hope they hold up.:D

Josh

28. seldom scene

seldom scene

I've heard rumors too. Some folks that own the wheels have been asked to provide one for a pattern, but nobody wants to be the guy that "ruined the market" for originals.

29. 2-TONED

2-TONED

people see something they own sell high on e-gay & they list theirs. - so just wait & more MORE will pop up on e-gay it always happens.