Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I'm pretty much using your build as a mentorship exercise for mine. I had hoped to put a full cage in mine that complied with NHRA rulebook-but I've scrapped that because it will pretty much require permanently attaching the body to the frame thru the roll bar mounting to the frame. Soo, I'm planning to copy your seatbelt bar welded to the sub rails, with minor modifications. If I start a build thread, I hope you will subscribe as an advisor. I've been a car guy my whole life, but have always farmed my car out for stuff that required tradesman skills. I just ordered a Millermatic 211, and will pick up my tank on Thursday.

NathanxStewart likes this.
  2. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Where and how are you mounting your fuel tank?

I have a 1940 banjo rearend with split bones, but I plan to go to a 9" with maybe a P&J ladder bar kit because I like to make lotsa tire smoke and I plan to TnT/exhibition the car at the local strip when I can. Looks like you maybe have a 8" or 9" out back..will that split bones set up hold up without a torque tube?

3. Nathan , I had some Christmas reading time, went through your whole thread , FANTASTIC such a great build , workmanship , style , excutetion

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking at his set up on page one it looks like he isn't running a torque arm for now but did put a mount on the front yoke in case he decided to add one later. His fuel tank - at least at one point in the build- is a modified 54 ish f truck tank located behind the seat

5. metal man

metal man

Those are '35-'36 Ford rear wishbones. They're the strongest of the Ford rear wishbones by far, and have been proven to hold up to a lot more abuse than this one will ever see. If I remember correctly, littleman had his truck down into the low 11's or high 10's with those wishbones ( it pulled the front tires off the ground), and it was street driven too , and didn't have a torque arm. Nathan also has an advantage with his "unsplit" rear wishbone design...No bind. He ran out of room for a torque arm, but it's not necessary at all.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    NathanxStewart and IowaMercMan like this.
  6. Rand Man

Rand Man

7. Thank you! Go for it, yeah I'll subscribe to it!! Let me know when you start it!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Fuel tank is behind the seat mounted to two rods welded to the sub rails with clamps at the top that clamp to the lip of the tank. Gas tank is for a 49-54 Chevy Truck. Took 13 inches out of it. Yep I have a ford 9", '36 wishbones are the strongest. Definitely strong enough for the horsepower I'll eventually be putting out which will probably be 250hp. And I don't have a torque arm.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Thank you so much! Glad you took the time out of your day to check it out!

10. Yep, actually ran out of room for one haha. Model A frames fill up quick after you build a full custom stainless steel exhaust hahah! I believe the tank is out of a '49 but '49-'54 they're the same.

11. Thank you!!

12. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Looking for clarification cause I wanna copy you: you stated above that the track width of your rear axle is 51". Is that a 51" 9" housing, or is it 51 from axle shaft flange to axle shaft flange?

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just saw it fire up on Instagram! Yeah buddy!

14. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just read your thread, what a great hot rod, 2 years in the making. You will be very proud of the end result. And I know your dad is very proud of you - for your patience, skill and great attitude you have shown us by sharing your build. Thanks very much!

15. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome!
    Post it on here for those of us not on instagram please!

16. metal man

metal man

You bet I am. He's a great kid, and a hard worker.

17. metal man

metal man

He has been trying to post it here. The HAMB can be a little awkward to navigate sometimes. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The easiest way is to put it on YouTube and then embed it here

19. Sorry, I missed this!! Are you talking about the rear cross member?

20. That measurement is from the inside wall of the rear tires so I wouldn't use that as an accurate measurement for the rear end or from the axle flange to axle flange considering the wheels are widened 6 inches. I'm not sure and I'll have to get you a more accurate measurement!

21. Thank you!!

22. Working on it! Finally figured out how to upload a video on here, just needed to update my app. My internet is very slow so that's what's holding me up.

23. I updated my app and it allows you to upload videos through the app now! My internet is slow so I'm still trying to upload it

Tim likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just got thru "speed-paging" your build thread (again) and wanted to say Congrats! I was wondering, did you ever tell us how much the chop was? I don't recall seeing that. Later, Gary

25. FRANKSTEIN LIVES!! So stoked! I've been waiting for this moment ever since I was a little kid. Engine fired practically right up! Runs great too! Had some issues to figure out, apparently the starter solenoid needs to be grounded, who'd a thought?? So if you ever decide to mount your starter solenoid to a piece of wood, ground it!! The starter button wouldn't work and we couldn't figure it out so we just jumped the starter. But! We did figure it out, we hooked up the horn relay wrong. The one we used had no diagram on which prong was what so turns out we fried it. Went to Napa, got a new horn relay with a diagram on it, came back, hooked up right, turned on the power then the car started and the starter kept going. Hm, that's not right. Did some testing and the switch was acting like it was constantly grounded which wasn't right, turns out it was a bad switch. Went back to Napa, got another one, and it hooked up, turned on the power, hit the starter button and worked like it was suppose to! Also had some light issues, headlights flashed on then went out, turns out they still had the 6v seal beams in them from when they were on my grandpas first Model A from high school in the 50's! So they came on then burned out immediately. Put 12v seal beams in and now it's all good! One more light problem, when the tail lights were on, the left rear brake light was on when the brake pedal wasn't pushed down. Turns out the wires that came on the light were flipped. Bastards! So fixed that and now all the wiring problems are figured out! Not too bad for my first wiring job, course I did have a lot of help from my grandfather. I did a lot of the routing and hooking everything up but he taught me how to do it. So fortunate to have had him help me with this! Also had an oil leak, think it's the rear main seal leaking and a gas leak from the carb gasket. Just those two leaks are it to figure out then it's time to go on a test drive!! The hard work is paying off! Great way to start off 2017, this is going to be a great year filled with so much cruising and traveling! Hot rods rule. Here's to 2017 and hot rods! Life is sick

crozch, doliak, Jake Sippl and 10 others like this.
  26. Thank you! And it's a 3" chop

Dino64 and gnichols like this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Been following from the start. Fantastic build, very lucky to have your Dad and Granddad as guides. I'm sure they are very proud !!

28. loudbang

loudbang

Nice work. I would be quaking in my boots worried that my fresh paint would be scorched with the doors WAY OPEN and so close to the exhaust.

NathanxStewart and Dino64 like this.
  29. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

NathanxStewart and loudbang like this.