Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Needing experienced advice on Lake Pipes for 49' Ford Custom Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sayer79, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Sayer79

Sayer79

Working on a stock original 49' Ford Custom Coupe. Has the 239 Flathead with true dual exhaust already. Pipes are rusted out over rear differential so I'm toying with the idea of adding straight Lakes only and doing away with the true duals out the back...My question is can I use my stock original manifolds using adapters to run only straight Lake pipes without any issues or major alteration? Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Don't have an answer for you but will be interested in the replies. I've got a set of Lakes for my 50 but have not installed them yet. Probably will just hook them up as dummies for looks only..

Sayer79 likes this.
  3. No mufflers? I would think you would get tired of basically hearing the left side of your engine firing.
    Had a 58 Ranchero with muffled pipes exiting each side just before rear wheel and it always sounded sort of off balance. I did have lakes on my '49 Ford but for looks only.

4. Sayer79

Sayer79

It gets run 6 times a year for about 60 miles total a year, I can deal with straight pipes. I like loud toys..And a flathead sounds like music to my ears....

5. Have you done your introduction yet? Might help with comments when people know more about what you got going on.

6. Sayer79

Sayer79

Sorry, new guy...I did a explanation in first post? Stock manifolds on a 239 vs. straight Lake pipes? Is it possible?

7. Squablow

Squablow

I had straight lake pipes on a 255" Merc flathead in my '53 Ford car. It's incredibly loud, and we used tube headers to make it fit.

Do you have the manifolds that cross over in the front? Would be a bitch to get the exhaust pipe from the front of the driver's side back under the car, and if you leave the crossover, a Y pipe is going to be a shitload of tight bends, plus it'll have to cross under the driveshaft to get to the passenger side. Those headers are only like $150, it's a bitch to get the old bolts out of the block sometimes but it'll make a much cleaner and easier install once you have those.

8. The G00SE

The G00SE

Get the lakes on your car and have a muffler shop go from the lakes to the collectors on the manifolds, ive done it a few times with sbc " I know boring" . Both times I use cut up headers of different diameters to lego it together. Some friends had headers in the scrap pile. made for a cheap set up but didn't look the prettiest. (If you want to do it your self and dont have a pipe bender) It sounds cool, I bet it sounds cooler on a flatty.

9. Sayer79

Sayer79

No crossover pipe- car has true duals already installed. Crossover is capped off now if I remember correctly...

10. Stock/original and true dual doesn't compute. To my knowledge '49 Fords didn't have dual exhaust unless modified, the left/driver's side exits to the front and crosses over to the passenger side. Left side, rear exit manifold is available which might be what you have if you have dual exhaust and it looks stock.

Either way it should be a matter of a couple of flanges, some short exhaust pipe pieces or bends to connect manifolds to lake pipes. Welding will be required. Might have to clearance the inner fenders a bit and could be some fun working around the frame, steering box etc. I don't have my car in front of me to look at.

Sayer79 likes this.
  11. Sayer79

Sayer79

Thanks Goose- I will look into that- sad thing is good exhaust shops are hard to come by these days....

12. Sayer79

Sayer79

Awesome- thanks- I'll post some pics of current set up after work to make more sense out of it.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Look in the advertisements of any '50s rod book & you'll find dual exhaust conversions using stock manifolds for any V8 Ford or Merc starting at $9.95.
    Lakes pipes don't belong on a gook wagon ... what you need is some mudflaps, a dead swan on the hood, & one of them 3rd headlights that turn with the steering ...

X38 and falcongeorge like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Exactly. Build YOUR car so THIS GUY likes it. Sheesh. Post up some pics when you get it done.

kiwijeff and Sayer79 like this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

If it already has totally separate dual exhaust now, then you should be able to hook the lake pipes up, you'll just have a couple of tight bends. On my '55 Packard, which oddly has side exhaust on it (installed by the previous owner) there are flex joints under the car where the side pipes join the pipes off of the engine. Probably a good idea, unless you have a way to rubber-mount your lake pipes. If your lakes are solid to the body and your engine is on rubber mounts and allowed to twist, you'll have issues. That's why regular exhaust is hung from free-floating hangers. Might help make the tight bend, too.

Sayer79 likes this.
  16. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Agree with Big A; the left manifold wrapped around the front of the engine and joined the right manifold. I have heard that there was a trick (can't confirm it) that if you swapped the left and right manifolds and capped the (originally right side) exit, you could have duals using the original parts.

I have original Fentons flowing into a pair of Porters. Only gets loud if you put your foot into it.

Sayer79 likes this.
  17. Fireengine above was not talking about this thread,,He is referring to the profile page you filled out (or LACK of)when you got the rights to post here..READ the rules at the top of "Intro" page.

Sayer79 likes this.
  18. The short answer is Yes. I'm not sure what you mean by running adapters on your stock manifolds. It's just pipe, no adapter needed. I run like this a lot.
    20160624_160403.jpg
    Listening to half a V-8 ? That's not an issue at all. You do want to be sure to hang the pipe on a good rubber hanger like mentioned prior at the fender opening. On the tail end you can do just a bushing on a through bolt. You do know that some where along the line your main Squeeze will glue her leg skin to that Hot pipe getting out of the car.
    The Wizzard

Squablow, kiwijeff and Sayer79 like this.
  19. Sayer79

Sayer79

Thanks, by mention of adapters I wasn't sure if there was a turn out to be attached to the manifold to make the angle into the lake pipe or just bend pipe to fit. I actually like how you ran yours behind front wheel.. definitely would prevent burnt legs...

20. Those are called Lake Plugs. Here is the Uggly truth and how I did it. No rocket science or trip to exhaust shop (plus it was Sunday)
    P1010016.JPG
    I also run full length exhaust, these are just tapped in just behind the manifold connection. I had planned these when building the car so I put a relief in the lower edge of the fender for the pipe. I didn't want them clear below the fender edge. There's at least a dozen ways to get things done, this is just one. Notice the hanger I used. It bolts through the weld flange of toe board to cowel side. There is a big wide lip there.
    The Wizzard

Sayer79 likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Yup, my poor girl got a leg burn on my car getting out, thought something "bit" her. If it weren't for the cost, I'd just have regular dual exhaust run and skip the side pipes completely, although they'll look much prettier on a shoebox Ford than they do on a '55 Packard.

Sayer79 likes this.
  22. Sayer79

Sayer79

Yeah I think I'll chop the dual exhaust off ahead of the old mufflers and go ahead and run straight pipe duals all the way back again and put new pencil tips back on it.... the Lakes sound like a pain and problematic

23. If you want the full length lake pipes, get the pipes mounted, then get the car to a KNOWN good exhaust shop in your area. They'll make the connections for you, from engine to lake pipes.
    How do you know where a good shop is located ? Find some hot rod guys in your area, they'll tell you who does the good work.
    By the way, if you add your location to your profile, H.A.M.B. folks in your area can direct you, as well.
    I always thought it was odd to leave out your location, unless you're in the witness protection program.
    A posted city location doesn't mean someone will come over and snatch your car.
    Back in my day ('50's-'60's) all pipes were considered lake pipes, whether the full length, or the short 18" dumpers.
    Think it through though, running lake pipes ONLY, without mufflers anywhere, is an open invitation for a ticket.
    You may like the LOUD SOUND, but that can get old, real fast.
    If the car is the one in your avatar, it looks like a beauty.
    P.S., Your car has a true '50's stocker look, with fog lights, outside visor, headlight shields.
    The lake pipes are not "stocker". A conflict in accessories ?

Sayer79 likes this.
  24. ...or maybe they do:rolleyes:

25. I fully agree. Even muffler delete full length exhaust would not be my era/visual correct move for this car. Kool old Cars are about the total package, not mix it up anything goes.
    The Wizzard

Sayer79 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  26. Sayer79

Sayer79

Yes your exactly right. I'm going to redo the dual exhaust that's on it and keep the look. Thanks for input.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  27. A very good idea for a very nice car.

Sayer79 likes this.
  28. Sayer79

Sayer79

I filled out the profile information fully......I'm from Murphysboro IL. Why it's not showing up is beyond my control....Sorry.....

29. Sayer79

Sayer79

Thanks, and I filled out the profile information fully, why it's not showing up is beyond my control.......My apologies for any confusion.

30. Sayer79

Sayer79

Yes I'm certain that's what's been done. It was done correctly. I've decided to scrap the Lake pipes idea and stick with straights all the way out the back with pencil tips like I already have. Thanks for your time.

bobg1951chevy likes this.