Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Does this truck still exists?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Maverick Daddy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

chopper.jpg This truck was in a magazine 20+ years ago, and I fell in love with it. I never saw it again, and just wonder if its still around.

Spooky, Squablow and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be a sin to be gone...Thats a nice one Maverick...pretty low riding for a Dodge pickup...these things definitely influenced trends. More pics...Happy New Year

3. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

wish I had more pics. this is the only one I have.I cut it out of the Magazine years ago.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any idea what magazine it was in...I snooped around a bit and came up dry...

5. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Maybe I still got the magazine..........was this custom truck the one with a slant six?

6. "The Chopper" was built by Randy Janson of San Diego, Ca. It was in March '96 issue of "Truckin' Magazine".

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

That is really sweet, especially for a 60's Dodge. Is that a long bed? If so it really helps the lines. I always thought the belt line on those lended itself to lowering. Like the way it fades away at the rear of the bed. Looks like the hood is sectioned. Maybe not but it looks much flatter and streamlines the front. Maybe just the camera angle.

Now, about those headlights...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Those headlights do add character, To be honest I guess in the past I always thought those trucks were ugly but these days I find that ugliness (character) in a lot of vehicles more interesting.
    That body style was around for a decade but I seldom ever see em anywhere other than maybe in a real Dodge guys hoard.

9. The 60s Dodge pickups have always been my favorite. I have owned 3 of them and I wish I still had one. I'm drawn to the ugly stuff for some reason.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Via Grumpys info this is the mag this may help in the search...Thanks Grumpy

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUCKIN-MAG...K-1997-FORD-F-150-CUSTOM-EVENTS-/191679527617

This truck was built by Randy Janson of San Diego, CA. It is a 1965 D-100 shortbox with the venerable 225 Slant-Six. The picture came from a full feature in the March 1996 issue of Truckin' Magazine. If you'll notice, Randy added a trick purple paint job with clean pinstriping and solid bodywork. He also went with the nostalgic chrome spotlights and whitewall tires to make "The Chopper" really stand out. The lakes pipes add to this theme, as do the ultra shiny chrome hubcaps with bullet centers. The lowered in the weeds stance really rounds out the whole effect.

Although lowering these trucks isn't as easy as with other trucks, it can be done as Randy's D-100 proves. He lowered his truck using a custom front axle and c-notches in the frame in back
    http://www.sweptline.com/spec/custom.html

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    loudbang and 1stGrumpy like this.
  11. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I always thought the bed was the best looking part of those trucks. The fade away belt line, the recessed tailights and the overall proportions were really clean. The B pillars and the rear window were cool. The front end, fug-ly! With the right grille/headlight treatment (which ain't easy on these) they make a really clean custom.

You never see them anymore for the very reason we're talking about. They were ugly as sin so no one ever hung onto them. Worked to death and off to the scrapper.

I'm intrigued now. I have neither the money, space nor time but someone needs to build a proper custom. The truck in the pic is a good starting point for inspiration. I throw down the gauntlet!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  12. love this truck too, is it not chopped though?
    maybe its just the angle that pics taken at.

Nice truck.

Stogy likes this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Two things come to mind instantly - the sounds a Loadflite trans makes reverberating around in those cabs with no sound deadener, and if the engine has to come out, just stand the hood straight up.

Stogy likes this.
  14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

If you can't find it build one like it!! Very cool truck.

Stogy likes this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Wouldn't mind seeing a bigger image of the truck. (Dodge in first post not the Nascar inspired truck}

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I remember seeing that photo and really digging it. At the time, I was looking for a Dodge truck to customize when that issue came out. They were hard to find stock, let alone customized then. Much harder now!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's really hard to find more than that single pic of the truck in question...
    Who has that issue of Truckin March 1996 anybody...o_O
    I find it interesting that Dodge went from a 4 headlight front in early sixties to a 2 headlight front by mid sixties. Personally 2 looks cleaner to me but looks older.

18. It was featured in another magazine as well but I can't remember which one as I remember a feature on it and I have never looked at an issue of Truckin. I want to say Custom Rodder but may have been one of the Classic/Custom truck mags.

mr57 and Stogy like this.
  19. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

TRUCKIN I do believe....

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maverick, Grumpy asnswered that back a bit(Post#6)...I posted the issue with the OT truck on cover(Post#10)

That would be the March 1996 issue of Truckin. Its a tough cookie to find pics of only the one you posted...

21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Yeah. i havent been able to find anything.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If cellphones had of been around in 1996 things might have been different.

We are looking for Pics of this Custom Truck
    (thanks in advance)

chopper_bigger.jpg

Hello all...does anybody got this issue of Truckin March 1996

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  23. current chopper 4.jpg current chopper 5.jpg current chopper 6.jpg current chopper 7.jpg current chopper 8.jpg current chopper 9.jpg current chopper2.jpg current chopper3.jpg currentchopper.jpg winner, winner chicken dinner
    ahhaha!!

looks like somebody bought it or is restoring it, no paint now, it is all white.

24. holding for more current images.
    chopper now 2.jpg chopper now.jpg chopper viva show.jpg currrent rear.jpg front chopper.jpg lucie rear.jpg rear.jpg

25. ............

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hambtastic...Thanks Abe now we can appreciate it. It looks like the flavour of the original build has not been compromised. I kinda liked the solids with caps but it still looks pretty cool. You Da Man...;)

mad mikey likes this.
  27. sorry, but is seems this car has been re done, check out the update images.
    here is is the rest, just detail shots.
    It looks like it went through a couple scallop "Locos Banditos" style paints jobs before being neglected and sold off to this new owner. ah the life of an old custom truck.

View attachment 3415523 lucie rear.jpg

One thing that this made me remember is Courtney Halowell, OGNC here on the HAMB, RIP. He seems to have shot the original Truckin article on this.

It looks like the front suspesion was changed over to an A-Arm suspension from an I-beam. There was one more pic with the guy welding a sub in.

BTW Im not taking credit for taking any of these pictures, I just found them on the new owners instagram page (only reposting for custom truck information purposes), there is also a video of the air ride working, I saved that out as well. PM if you need to talk figure out how to contact, Im not posting his info, but some of you are just as good of creepers as me to find him.

Attached Files:

Stogy and Speedys Garage like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Abe for posting this. I don't think anyone is interested in purchase. I'd say more curious about the original build. If anyone truly is interested they can use the link and your supplied info to pursue it. It was pretty low back when it was modded in 96 by a more traditional means but it comes as no surprise to see it modded in a more modern method. This is in no way discrediting the modern itstall as it looks well done. One can understand ride height issues. That was pretty good poking and prodding Abe I certainly do credit you with that.
    The other thing is externally it has retained the original flavour and that is again nice to see.
    Personally again I am glad to see it around.
    If anyone has any pics finds or finds that issue of Truckin (March 1996) please scan the pics and story and post them for the members to enjoy.

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

I like the white and black much better then the purple. As for the lowering, I'm betting it was a pita to drive in its original lowered position. Gene

30. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy