Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford PU Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeff34, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Mart

Mart

I'd say it would work ok. I did something similar on my 33. Theorising about shock angles is fine but on the typical hotrod movement is normally pretty limited and we're not typically doing hundreds of thousands of miles. That said, the top mount in that pic looks pretty shot! If I were doing it I'd establish the shock angle and try and drill at right angles to that. (slightly downhill from the outside going inwards).
    Like anything, if you think it will work, try it. If it does work, great, if not try something else. It's a development process.
    Oh by the way, the most effective shock angle is vertical. Problem is, it looks a bit goofy.

Mart.

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Jeff, if you did do a simple set up like mine, you will most likely have a much steeper shock angle. My frame is pinched in front to the width of the grill shell. The upper shock mounts are barely outward of the hood sides. To top it off I am running a 42 and up front axle. They have a very wide perch center line.
    But you have fenders and would probably have black hardware correct? So it would still all look acceptable on a PU. Almost everything going on with my front suspension is based on esthetics(form before function) and then cross your fingers educated guesstimates.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

As much as I hate them you could run a longer perch bolt and a bolt on lower mount. Simple and easy to do.

Runnin shine likes this.
  4. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

BTW Mart, the most effective shock angle for a transverse leaf front-end is 20 -30 degrees to counter body roll which is prevalent with this suspension. Vertical is better for coil spring or elliptical set ups.

5. Hey man, I saw pictures of your truck at the NCRR,
    Did you get the carb issues sorted out?
    How did the truck work?

6. Mart

Mart

Thanks for that - I hadn't heard the transverse setups being quoted as an exception. You learn something new every day.

Mart.

7. Jeff34

Jeff34

It was running great at the beginning, but had problems at the half way mark. Wouldn't start after stopped. Made it to the lunch stop, where several guys jumped in to diagnose (HUGE thanks to them). Bad ballast resistor was the culprit. Started right up when we bypassed that. Still had more problems after that...running rough, backfiring, no power...so I had it towed the last 10-15 miles. I wanted so bad to make it. I'll get it sorted and back on the road soon.

8. Oh man, sorry to hear that, but, I'll bet it was still a pretty damn good
    day with that crowd.
    I'll keep watching to see the remedy.

9. Jeff34

Jeff34

Working on wiring since I got the kit from Tyree. Pulled the headlamp lenses and found these bulbs. Pretty cool looking. Original? [​IMG]

bengeltiger likes this.
  10. Jeff34

Jeff34

I have a question about fuel systems. My original gauge and the tube that feeds it are toast. I'm going to replace the fuel line, add an electric pump near the tank, and use a later ('47-ish) gauge. Is there a pickup/sender unit that I can buy that will fit the stock tank?
    Here's what I'm looking at on the top of the tank:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The two tubes on the right don't go to anything.

And here's the gauge I'm hoping to use

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and jerseyboy like this.
  11. Jeff34

Jeff34

Been a while since I've given an update. Working on going the new wiring installed. Need to get the generator rebuilt and the fuel pump installed. Also want to replace all the fuel lines and clean out the tank. Removing the bed to do most of that. Also modifying the '47 gauge pack that was under the dash to a two pack cluster in a new bezel. The 97's will go out soon for rebuild, and then I should be back on the road. Probably not in time for some fun events at the start of '17, but certainly by spring. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Runnin shine, dumprat and Flowmeister like this.
  12. Jeff34

Jeff34

13. Jeff34

Jeff34

Pulled the bed off the truck. Need to clean up the rear and work on the diff. Dust is thick. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Did you find a sender to work yet?

15. Jeff34

Jeff34

16. Jeff34

Jeff34

Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  17. Jeff34

Jeff34

spurgeonforge likes this.
  18. john dioli

john dioli

I just got done doing my 33 tank I got an aftermarket sender and went to tanks inc and got there sending unit flange and welded it to the top of the tank. I also suggest cleaning out the tank mine had a bunch of rust ill try to post some pictures for you
    John

19. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks, John! Looking for all the feedback I can get on this.

20. Happy New Years to you!
    Really enjoy this thread.

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Buddy, [Don], built cars for nascar, uses a diode that lets him run 6v gauges with a 12v system... His '47 pontiac has been on the road for 5 years... I can get a phone #, if cool with him...

22. john dioli

john dioli

hey jeff if you go to tanks inc and the fuel tank products first page 3,4 row down are some items i used heres just one part you can see they have everything you may need to repair tanks
    http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...uct_id=95/category_id=167/mode=prod/prd95.htm
    im sorry i thought i took pictures of tank but i guess not so what i did to fuel pickup was cut off tubes so thats its just a flat bare plate with all the holes in it and got a new piece of tubing then tig that in to depth of tank and do same with vent. as far as sender i welded that item i sent you to tanks inc on the top of tank and got a new sender,as far as cleaning the tank my had a lot of rust and crud in it i rinsed it out with muratic acid (swimming pool acid) and then did the rust removal by battery charger method works great. hope this helps
    john
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6A6E3AEF5D53D21B16406A6E3AEF5D53D&FORM=VRDGAR
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2B75A87A3F0272B6500E2B75A87A3F0272B&FORM=VIRE

Jeff34 likes this.
  23. Jeff,
    I was just surfing through the HAMB (haven't been here in a few years) and came upon this thread and have been reading with pure envy. The pic of my 34 below, was taken in 1969, which I ended up in others' hands as I soon got drafted into the Army. This is the one vehicle of the hundreds I have owned, and I have/had some nice ones, that I wish I had back. Lol

Anyhow, you spoke of finding this gem in Healdsburg which I am about fifty miles from in Mendocino county and as far as your sending unit issue, I can think of two or three resources, if you are still in that area, that could help to line you up with an operating original sender. You might have already tried these guys, Vern Tardel (we all know him) of course but Stokes in Windsor was hotrodding a slew of 32-34s a few years ago and might have put a few unused parts on the shelf plus Paul (Stokes knows him) had the chemical dip business in the same area (He dipped the tank on my 59 Sedan Delivery) and might know where one is available. He has since closed his doors but, like I said, he might point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your project, I hope to see it at one of the shows this season.

Attached Files:

• z2.jpg
      z2.jpg
      File size:
      114.9 KB
      Views:
    Stogy and Jeff34 like this.
  24. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Looking good, Jeff! Gotta get it ready for this year's car events...

25. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

26. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great lookin' '34!

Thanks for the info! I should be at some events this season. Hope to see you there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  27. Jeff34

Jeff34

Hey Craig, thanks! Should have it all sorted by the time events start. Not sure if I'll do American Graffiti this year, but I'll be at others.

28. Jeff34

Jeff34

Anybody know where I can find a diaphragm for an Autopulse 6V511 electric fuel pump? Mine is shot.

29. Jeff34

Jeff34

Got my gauge pod nearly done today. Still need to make a panel to mount it to. [​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  30. Jeff34

Jeff34

It has LIGHTS!!! Now I can terrorize the city by night!
    Bwaaahhaaaahaaaaaaaa![​IMG]

FlatJan, jerseyboy, waxhead and 4 others like this.