Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot rod parts you would like to see produced.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Nov 27, 2016.

1. 55willys

55willys

Wow 3 pages of good ideas. I will sort through them and determine what I have the ability to manufacture. anybody on here can take on getting some of these things done. That's how a lot of our vintage speed equipment came to be was by individuals seeing a need and then setting about to fill that need.

2. How about a distributor cap and wire kit that would go on an MSD distributor, but has the looks of a magneto cap?

Just Gary and 55willys like this.
  3. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

maybe when I call them if they don't have black , I will see if they will send me a sample of the charcoal. have had a computer crash, and lost all my info, now using my wife's computer until I get a new one , so I will be missing the Hamb for a while.

4. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since Brookville and United Pacific haven't stepped up...

Model A coupe steel. Specifically the piece above the deck lid, and all the roof parts; rear window, quarter window, quarter window garnish, and the roof piece above each door.

It sure would be nice to have the parts available to see all those sport coupes being converted to coupes instead of being hacked up into wanna-be roadsters.

5. Some 28-29 AA express beds, or at least tailgates and sides. Many of us with AAs want a 1-ton pickup look and function, and most AAs found are without beds or have stake beds. Also, rear fenders for AA expresses, ones wide enough to accommodate dualies.

6. So what's it gonna be ?

There's obviously a market for this hemi water crossover.
    It used to sell for 159, but it's out of production now.

image.png

7. 55willys

55willys

There are many things like this that can be cast in aluminum there just has to be enough demand to offset the pattern making cost along with having a foundry that will do small runs. Also a machine shop that will do accurate work in small runs. I have a lot of these capabilities at my disposal but we need to find something that needs to be made and not be in competition with other manufacturers. Keep the idea's coming.

williebill likes this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread Jim. I'll offer something: Decent-looking tube shock mounts for the front of a Model A. Purehotrods makes nice-looking lowers for the rear, but for the fronts we're mostly left chasing after old F-1 mounts or making something from scratch. Also, along those lines, I'd like a comination shock mount/headlight tower with a nice vitage look. The combo units I've seeen online are kind of streetroddy and too short unless you're mounting the lower on the axel, which not everyone does. I wound up making my own, and they're all function, no form. Which is a fancy way of saying "ugly." :confused:

55willys likes this.
  9. 55willys

55willys

Those would need to be forged to be as strong as needed. As soon as I find a place that can do small forgings I will look into it as well. I have caliper brackets that need to be forged too.

10. An aftermarket pitman arm for the early mustang steering box. Challenger and others make them for the 66 and later boxes with the larger sectors, but not the early boxes with the smaller sector. Also, can't someone, maybe Mack Products or Rootlieb, make a 7', 3" by 13" express bed and tailgate for us AA owners? I'd bet they would sell every bit as well as a standard or wide-bed A pickup box.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. You can get brand new forged F-1 mounts, Exact copies.
    The ad verbiage even says they left them as stock so you can cut twist and bend how ever you want them.

55willys likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Squablow

Squablow

Some of these suggestions seem like they'd only sell one copy, to the person who dreamed them up. But the baby moon caps with the old style dome and the National flipper single bar caps would be well recieved.

This is the one that blows me away, there is no aftermarket sheetmetal for 49-51 Mercury, like literally nothing. Some cheap shitty slip-on rockers that are about an inch too tall and some very homemade-looking floorpans. When the stamped rockers were available they were extremely pricey.

The 49-51 Mercury has to be the most popular car to customize in history, and they're rot-boxes to boot. Stamped rockers seem like an easy home run. And think of how many 49-50 grille surrounds would sell in steel? Every shoebox and early 50's Chevy could get one.

14. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

I'm going off the reservation here. But there is a big demand for HotRod and performance items for Willys 134 L engines Jeeps kaiser etc.

Dual carb manifolds
    Weber DGV manifolds
    Aluminum high compression heads
    Another header choice then Clifford

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Trunk lids for every 30's vintage automobile. Where the hell did all those go?

16. burt21

burt21

I make some great parts. Let me know what aluminum part would be good. Some say we copy the old parts but heck better to have a good new part when you can't find that old nostalgic part. All the old an new parts company's copy others just ike back in the day. WWW.RichiesDragMaster.com

Max Gearhead and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I would like to see better grill inserts produced. Not like the ones that Speedway and the others sell. I want to see something that'll fasten to the inside instead of the outside.

18. khead47

khead47

1953 Ford grille. Looked for over a year with no luck.

19. 55willys

55willys

Sometimes it is just hard to find the parts even when doing search through Google because the manufacturer doesn't have the right key words or a good website.

20. I'd like to see a polished STAINLESS STEEL '32 Ford Sedan windshield frames. Std. and chopped. I'm tired of seeing rusted out or flaked chrome.
    55532301_R_f1202703-3c9d-46c9-a18d-a54219c26c76.jpg

21. Man, ain't that the truth'

I like to use google images a lot, but now 1/2 the pics go to Pinterest. Pisses me off.

Not the case here.
    Google ford F1 Shock mount -

image.png

LOU WELLS likes this.
  22. Church Key

Church Key

SBC Fuelie heads.

23. 55willys

55willys

Here are some pictures of things that I make. All are made or assembled from parts made in USA and by local shops. I am also working on other things but they are in the prototype stages or are in need of testing. IMG_20161015_150249481.jpg IMG_20161015_145149593.jpg IMG_20150121_200104364.jpg IMG_0300.JPG

LOU WELLS and Max Gearhead like this.
  24. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Reproduce the Volvo steering box for the shoebox ford guys. Most options are 800 to over a thousand dollars. Guys that have these boxes would like to have a replacement also.
    Fatman still sells the mount.
    Thanks for taking the time for input.

25. Acme Corporation used to supply Wiley Coyote with packaged assorted holes through their mail order program(which had the most immediate shipping I have ever seen)
    Handiest damn thing I ever saw- no drill or bits- take out the size of hole you want and place it where you want it - some of them were even adjustable in size- what a time saver.
    Someone bring these to market please!

Drive Em

26. This is one thing that I have said many times over and over....WHY DOES NO ONE MAKE A TOOL THAT YOU CAN USE TO CLEAN THE PAN AT THE BOTTOM OF A 32 FORD GRILL??THE PART BEHIND THE GRILL BARS.....

Alaska Jim and Montana1 like this.
  27. I often thought of drilling a big hole in the bottom of it to let the bugs and dirt out that gets caught there! :eek:;)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  28. 270ci

270ci

Hmmm, how about a front mount blower drive for a Detroit 6V53 type blower on a flatty? Seems I recall somebody was going to make one. ;)

29. 55willys

55willys

Still collecting parts for that project but am working on a top mounted version of the intake manifold for flatheads with a flat 1/2" thick adapter plate so that it can be adapted to any blower configuration. This was a friends project that he doesn't have time to finish. All he wants is one for his car. The pattern is mostly made but needs some finish work and a core mold needs to be made.

brEad likes this.
  30. Andy

Andy

I think there is a market for low deck Dodge Hemi intake manifolds. The Offy ones are terrible. The basic casting can be used for DeSoto as well. My 241 Offy 4x2 is obviously intended to do that. I would like a single 4 for my 241 that has decent flow.

BigDTexasKid likes this.