Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Magnum axles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RODIST, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RODIST

RODIST

Hi, happy new year!!
    ?? Does anyone know of any recent broken axle reports on the Magnum axle company 4" drop model???
    I'm considering it for use on a '39 coupe.
    It's reported to not require splitting the wishbone, which keeps it simple,
    the plan of the whole project.

2. trey32

trey32

Why not have the stock axle dropped??

HellsHotRods likes this.
  3. RODIST

RODIST

Tks 4 reply,..Who would u suggest?? & what's the approximate cost?? Thanks

4. verde742

verde742

gosh I just bought a 5 inch drop, help me feel good, about Magnum C0.

somebody ?

5. trey32

trey32

Andy Kohler from Koher kustom does them for around $250
    His name on here is thunderbirdesq, worth every penny...

TexasSpeed likes this.
  6. Don't worry about it,a newbie drops in29 minutes ago and questions the quality doesn't mean there is a problem. HRP

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    INVISIBLEKID and turboroadster like this.
  7. trey32

trey32

Hard to beat an original henry axle dropped by a real hotrodder, why would you buy a magnum axle now??

117harv likes this.
  8. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

I was a dealer for Magnum Axle for about 8 years back in the late 90's. Fortunately I got out of the parts business before the "incident". Not sure exactly what happened, but I recently spoke with Mike at Magnum (his dad, Fred was a founder and the owner for years) and he said there was one bad batch of axles. Well, it sounds like they almost went out of business, but to their credit, they regrouped, stood behind their products, and are back now and doing well again. Fred, Mike, and the new owners are stand up guys, have great products and I don't think anybody should be worried. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I believe if anybody has an older Magnum Axle, they can call them and see about having it checked. I actually called them to talk about becoming a dealer again, (I'm not, yet) so that shows how I feel about them. They always had great products, and customer service. I am very confident that there is nothing to worry about today.

loudbang, Kan Kustom and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. I have been running a Magnum 4" drop tube axle with hairpins for 22 years. In spite of all the "experts" who say you can't run a tube axle with hairpins, the axle is holding up just fine. That make you feel better?

11. RODIST

RODIST

Thanks for the reply,...
    ??? Does anyone have any RECENT /CURRENT INFO??
    Regarding Magnums Cast 4" dropped axles??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. I haven't heard anything bad about them in a few years. If that helps.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 40 has a Magnum 4" drop I beam axle. I installed it 10 years ago and it is fine. you can't drop a stock axle as much because the wishbone is too close to the spindle on these and there just isn't room for much drop. The only way to run a dropped Henry axle is to run a 36 and back narrower bone and corresponding axle

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I found the Magnum 4 in. dropped axle to be an excellent product. It's 3/4 in. narrower than stock, thereby allowing more fender/wheel clearance. I've had no problems with mine. Don't forget to buy the Magnum dropped steering arms.
    Installed on a 40 Ford coupe - wishbone not split.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  15. RODIST

RODIST

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine from Bakersfield said John Lawson in Fresno bought Magnum Axle.
    He has an extremely large collection of 32 Fords, among others.
    Anyone else have input.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 42merc

42merc

My '40 runs a 4" Magnum axle.
    Been in six years, many miles, fits right, works right, I'm happy.
    I used Chassis Eng dropped arms because I had them, also a good product.

18. Dean,I learned the hard way not to use a Superbell tube axle and split bones,they don't flex,I hit a railroad track and sheared a spring perch flush with the axle. HRP

19. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

I have a magnum tube axle under my 32 no problems here. with the shorter distance between the king pin and spring perch boss you cant get a whole lot of drop out of a stock 39 axle .

jackandeuces and loudbang like this.
  20. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

hairpins and bones are two different animals. hairpins flex a little .I never tried a tube axle with bones, but a lot of people use em with hairpins , including me

Dean Lowe likes this.
  21. 42merc

42merc

I'm going to guess the original question was asking about the cast malleable iron axles, not the welded tubular axles.

Outback likes this.
  22. 97

IMHO , Henry forged them in America for a good reason! Along with all the other advanced metallurgy he put into early Fords.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  23. 97

Depends where you are located, and what car it is for, you should make a proper introduction of yourself in the appropriate thread and decribe your car/project.
    I suggest you look at some of the alliance dealers here on the HAMB and maybe use the search engine. There are a lot more new axle suppliers than just Magnum , I prefer Chassis Engineering if a new axle is required, but for my own use a dropped Ford axle will always be first choice .
    http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/fk-3540-forged-i-beam-axle-front-end-kit-for-1935-1940-ford/
    or
    http://www.droppedaxles.com/

24. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I bought a chassis from Brookville with 5" Magnum axle - in 2009. I later read about the axle breakage issue and contacted Fred at Magnum directly. Totally straight shooter guy. He said the "incident" actually turned out to be another manufacturer's product, but the publicity hit them hard. He immediately offered to replace my 2008 axle with a new 2013 axle (x-rayed and tested) for no charge! There are thousands of hot rods out there with Magnum, Chassis Engineering, Pete & Jakes, SoCal, and others. I could find only a couple of axle failures online - and all were due to major high speed collisions.
    But I always love the smug "I only use Genuine Henry" stuff (...because I have a pile of them I paid nothing for and "know a guy", BS. Good to be you.

e z i, loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  25. I would ask what make perch was it? I'm running Deuce Frame Co. forged, keyed perches.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nostalgia Sid lists 4" dropped '37/'41 axles. Not questioning you guys, but well yes, I guess I am. I was planning to get the original axle in my '39 dropped, is this a problem? This is a 4" TOTAL drop we are talking about here, including the original drop, right? I was going to get a straight drop, not a stretch.

Outback likes this.
  27. e z i

e z i

I've got a Magnum under my '48, it's been over many rough Idaho roads with no issues.
    looks good too...

loudbang likes this.
  28. john dioli

john dioli

Not anson axles has had numerous peoples axle for 4 months ask how we know,,, heard okie joes has quick turn around

29. RODIST

RODIST

Happy new year, thanks for all the positive input , suggestions, advise, & tips, particularly the ones about Magnums CAST 4" dropped axles CURRENTLY

loudbang likes this.
  30. RODIST

RODIST

As for 97's advise -- "properly introduce myself" & use "appropriate thread"---#1 thanks,...#2 be patient!! I'm navigating this www stuff blind, from a delicate gadget I'm unfamiliar with!!..

scotty t and loudbang like this.