Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New wagon...loses power on ANY incline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpazTaztic, Dec 10, 2016.

1. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Sorry for the lack of updates... got sick right before the holidays and then holidays...

As far present state- I got the new fuel pump on yesterday. However... when I tried to start her up- battery was dead... go figure. Both of my chargers were dead- talk about luck... so borrowed one from my uncle and have it hooked up as of about 4pm yesterday. If it doesnt charge up- I will just get a new battery.

Note: I did find some twists in the ends of the hard lines, not enough for restriction- but definitely enough to be put on my list to replace once I have her running again.

Will let you know how the new pump runs after I get it fired up again!

-Spaz

loudbang likes this.
  2. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

sorrow you got sick , hoping you and your car get well . will be waiting on good news from both .

3. If it's no one thing it 12 of them lol

RMONTY likes this.
  4. If you need to purchase a NEW battery, either consider the factory equipped 6 volt battery, with BIG CABLES, or consider a 12 volt conversion.
    The 8 volt battery you currently have is only a band aid for existing problems, which have not been corrected.
    Properly maintained, the 6 volt system will spin over the 235, just fine.

5. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Thanks!

Well I'm not sure how old the battery is because I didn't see a date. I know he had it parked for about a month and a half to almost two months before I could get it down here. Finally got in touch with Bill and he got it down here shortly after! But once I paid, the PO just would let it idle for a short time in the garage, but didnt drive it. So when I got it the battery was weak. Now it has been sitting for another couple of weeks. Main thing is to get it running enough to get inspected to get plates and registration. Then I was looking to do 12v conversion. Saw a couple of technicals on here- basically resistors and bulbs other than alternator is looks like- right?

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just went through registration with my project here in Texas. Once you have the inspection sheet and go to get tags, I suggest you get antique auto tags. No further inspections are needed after the initial inspection. Antique tags are good for 5 yrs and they run in a cycle. New cycle begins in 2018 I believe. Cost me $35 to register mine in October until 2018. Just a heads up for you!

7. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

The lady at the office said that you have to trailer the car to and from shows if registered as antique OR be driving to and from a shop- with no more than 1000 miles added per year. I plan to have mine as a driver(once I get the kinks worked out haha), so was looking at going for classic. No mileage restrictions.

loudbang likes this.
  8. belair

belair

12 volt conversion is easy. I always did it. Some will say it's not necessary, but I think its a good move. The other thing I always do is go to front disk brakes. If you plan to drive it all the time, you'll never regret it. And it's very simple to do.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

A common problem with the Rochester 'B' carb; it can leak gas internally and empty the bowl in a day or two. May or may not be related to fuel pump.

Also, some of the guys are rushing you with everything from out a V-8 in it to disc brakes and/or 12 volt conversion. Not bad ideas but go slow - ONE THING AT A TIME.

6-bangertim and bobg1951chevy like this.
  10. Agreed.

11. I own two 1951 Chevys, both are good drivers, # 2 in condition.
    My one '51 has been with me 18 years now, a 6 volt system.
    My other '51 has been with me 3 years, a 12 volt system.
    The 12 volt system cranks faster, because I am still using the 6 volt starter.
    Other than that fact, both systems work fine.
    If you're set on a 12 volt system, I can forward clear to understand instructions from a reliable source.
    Personally, my 6 volt system is fine, BUT it has stout battery cables to get the power moving.

loudbang and 6-bangertim like this.
  12. Here is where I miss my Ohio roots.
    In the year 2000, I bought antique plates for my '51.
    A ONE TIME FEE of $10.00, the plate is valid for FIFTY YEARS.

belair likes this.
  13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Get your car to state inspection standards, get it inspected, then register with classic or regular plates.

Antique plates aren't intended for dereliction.

14. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Please do! I am going to get my plates and stuff and get it running, but do plan to convert to 12 volts. So I can atleast start buying whatever parts are needed for the conversion.

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

No disrespect or dereliction meant for "antique" plates. When I registered my car there was no mention or option given to me of "classic" plates. The nice lady behind the counter asked if I wanted regular plates or antique plates. I had no knowledge of the difference and she gave me her schpeel on the two and I went with the "antique" plates as it fit my purpose better.

Spaz, get her running good and reliable, drive it stock and THEN decide what updates you want. You want to take your grandmother on a Route 66 adventure...not bonneville or Texas Motor Speedway. She could give a shit whether it has disk or drum brakes I would imagine. I think you will find the stock brakes adequate for making your trip with grandmother providing they are in good repair. THEN you can start ripping the car apart to modify it. Just remember, you can't drive it if it's sitting on jackstands!

16. Great stuff here ..... if Granny gets under the car on a creeper, I'd be surprised.

RMONTY likes this.
  17. Will you be using a generator or an alternator ?

18. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Alternator.

The 8volt battery in it has been on the charger since monday evening. Went by last night and she still wouldnt turn over. O'reillys or a local parts store wouldnt have a 6 or 8 v battery on hand- would they? Just trying to get it fired to test the new fuel pump for now mainly.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oreillys should be able to get one if they don't have it in stock. Is there a NAPA close by? You might even check some places that work on older tractors and such....

20. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My father had a rambler that would die on a hill. The seller had replaced almost every ignition component and no improvement so he sold it to my dad for $200.
    Dad went to pull the air cleaner to adjust the carb and the carb moved. Turned out the carb studs were loose and on a hill the carb would tilt and open a huge vacuum leak at the carb base. 1/2" wrench solved all problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

belair and loudbang like this.
  21. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

The local NAPA store people sounded confused as to why I would want one- then said they may could get one by the end of next week. Just got off the phone with oreillys and they said a couple of their stores keep one on hand with the part number of "1". So I will go by at lunch and see.

22. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Carb is snug. I checked that when I was tracing the vacuum lines. But thanks!

-Spaz

23. Don't know if you have a store near you, a chain named "TRACTOR SUPPLY".
    That is where I purchase my 6 volt batteries.
    Any such Farm Implement store should stock the 6 volt battery.

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  24. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Never even thought of that- I've never gotten batteries from them. Thanks!

25. A 12 volt, detailed conversion was sent to you, by me, at your P.M. box.

loudbang likes this.
  26. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

27. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

loudbang likes this.
  28. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

I have never used and 8 volt battery, so never had to charge one before. I ended up buying a new 6 volt battery yesterday and putting it on... turned key and spun for 2 seconds then stopped with a smoke coming from starter solenoid... yay- more stuff to replace...

I think I am going to just get the stuff and do a 12 volt conversion since I now need a new solenoid/starter, will just go 12v. Then I can buy parts from the local stores without having to order and wait a week or more for stuff to come in. Once I get the 12 volt stuff going- I will have a brand new 6 volt battery available...

loudbang and belair like this.
  29. Put the 6 volt battery in the "parts for sale" section of the HAMB classified.

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Any update on the wagon?