Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need ideas: BBC 454

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Dec 29, 2016.

1. jackalope

jackalope

I am looking for ideas to build a tall deck 454. Got a good deal on a very low mileage tall deck block from an RV. This is likely going in my 30 coupe build. I really like the block and parts and want to make this thing have a somewhat of a vintage look despite its "new age". Any ideas for appearance in terms of intake, carbs, etc.
    I know this is new gen engine so if the thread gets roached I at least tried.
    If not, please show me some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. squirrel

squirrel

tall deck 454? I've never heard of that one, but I also don't keep up with the newer engines like I probably ought to.

there is a tall deck 427 engine used in medium duty trucks, and a low deck 454 with port EFI used on the late 90s, then a 496 (8100) engine in the 2000s.

I wonder what it is you really have?

oj and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am with Jim...427 and 366 were the tall blocks....unless I missed something on the way! Which is certainly possible.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A quick look at the top of the water pump mounting will tell tall deck or short. Pictured is a tall deck, a low deck has about 3/8" from the deck to the top water pump bolt. 305px-Bbc_tall_deck.jpg
    The deck(head mounting surface) is .400 taller on a tall deck. Or run some casting #'s.

Montana1, loudbang and squirrel like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  6. squirrel

squirrel

that is a low deck 454 HO crate motor, eh?

7. jackalope

jackalope

I will do some more verifying tomorrow but I talked with two different guys that quickly stated, "whoa, that's a tall deck" and based on that I was ASSuming they were on given the origin of the motor, etc.
    even if it's not a "tall" deck, does anyone have any "window dressing" for a 454? Intakes should be the same

8. squirrel

squirrel

The big blocks were introduced in the mid 60s, you can find short deck 4bbl intakes from back then, as well as different styles of valve covers. Used stuff is around....although you can also buy new MT covers, if you like spending money.

I dig the old factory chrome valve covers that came on a lot of 396s back in the early days.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, as there is no tall-deck 454.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some intake port variances (square/oval). You will need to match you components. There are some nice outfits that you can put on them. It all depends on what sort of look you are going for. Chrome, finned aluminum, polished finned aluminum, painted, some combo of all that, etc.

11. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Yes there are tall deck 454
    I have been building them for years. The most common are the 366-427 but there are 454 in marine and some trucks. I have three 454 tall deck 454 in the shop right now.. One is a factory re-badged unit says Toyota marine.

You will not be happy with aftermkt bolt on parts if you want "old time looks". Most of the intakes are for race applications, unless you can find an old intake and/or use adapters... Adapters leak.. Distributor will need a slip collar, commercial body/chassis headders usually won't fit.

Whatever engine you do have.. You will find in street use, there is "no cheap tall=decks" Most bolt on accessories from the original donor are scrapped. The heads are crap, pistons are heavy and low conpression, made for 3500 RPM max. Valve train parts are usually worn out. Cam is reverse rotation, gear drive. Tho easily changed to chain.

But if you are building a big cube race motor. They are a bargain.

Montana1, jackalope and HiHelix like this.
  12. GMCARGUY1950

GMCARGUY1950

Outinthegarage.com has a casting number listing. There are some 454 tall decks listed FYI.

13. Mr 2nd post ...
    Wtf- this is your link??? image.png

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have overhauled about 30 454's from boats. I have never seen a tall deck. Never seen one from a truck either, and I am 35-years deep in overhauling those too.

How about a picture or two?

15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X3,never seen or Heard of 454 tall in GM production , I have seen a GM 498 tow truck motor , I believe its a tall deck , but it was 12 years ago , I have one 427 tall , Four 454 70's
    One 2000 , & a 67 427 hp vett

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  16. To the OP -
    Is it a complete, running engine? Intake? If you're leaving it together and painting it all one color,(chevy orange?) sounds like a plan. Double pumper, vintage VCs & white headers could look good.
    600+ ci strokers are possible but that's not what you asked about.

jackalope likes this.
  17. HiHelix

HiHelix

My motor home has this same engine.
    These are plentiful in the RV and dump truck community. As far as vintage looks you will probably need to make stuff. There isn't an abundance of eye candy goodies. These are popular with large CID budget street race guys and can be built to pack quite a punch!

jackalope likes this.
  18. HiHelix

HiHelix

One day these & LS engines will be accepted as traditional when all the fossils have been pillaged !

19. jackalope

jackalope

Chevy57dude,
    Thanks for the ideas as that is what I'm looking for! I will be building the headers regardless of what is available.
    I was just hoping there were intakes and maybe something else other than all the race applications I found.
    When I actually get to the point of putting an engine in this, I may talk myself out of it.
    For now, if anyone else has ideas or pics I would love to see them.
    It is a complete motor with 33k miles on it. 1973 oval port block

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

21. squirrel

squirrel

Those cast script valve covers are neat...I guess some folks think they look old? I don't.

kiwijeff and falcongeorge like this.
  22. RR

RR

My 454 block came from an RV- it is a short deck.

I have a tall deck BBC, but it is a 427 from a late 60's C60. Never heard of a tall deck 454.

Montana1 likes this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well boys I may stand corrected here but started trying to answer this 454 deck height question and actually found casting numbers for 1 GEN-IV and 2 GEN-V 454 Tall Decks...

Block Cast #
    14044807 - 454T - four-bolt, Bow Tie, Mark IV, CNC prep, tall-deck, 4.25- or 4.495-inch bore
    24502506 - 454T - four-bolt, Bow Tie, Gen V, race prep, 10.2-inch tall-deck height
    10134366 - 454T - four-bolt, Bow Tie, Gen V, tall-deck

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0707phr-mark-iv-family-zl1-big-block-chevy-history/
    Scroll down to table at the end of the article. ???

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  24. oj

oj

Maybe they used some Dart castings? there are linkages from Dart to GM. The blocks are out there, the question is whether OEM or not and whether they were 454". I recall GM provided 540's for drug interdiction boats.

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Bow tie blocks were a performace counter part I believe, and normally would not be found in a RV motorhome. But the parts #'s don't lie. More than likley if its out of an RV is a low deck. Just check the casting #s.

26. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting stuff. Like I said, I don't keep up with the newer ones like I should.

The Gen V and VI engines use a different timing cover, don't they? and a few other appearance differences. I suppose most folks won't notice.

27. I have a 427T transplanted in my bus.
    I'm curious. Can you show us some pictures of your motor?
    Especially the front where the head and deck surface meet near the water pump bolts, the current intake, and maybe the crank flange and the casting # to verify if it's a tall deck. Thanks.

IMG_5366.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG

28. jackalope

jackalope

29. Phil1934

Phil1934

The same co. offers these[​IMG]

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jim, I'm with you on the chrome stockers. And they do take me back in time...