Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split wishbone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

When spitting the wishbone I realize that you still want them triangulated to keep the axle pivoting properly. What happens when you are in a situation where you can't? If the mounting points are the same as the spring perch center line? Panhard bar needed?

2. If you are using cross-steer, you will need a Panhard bar. Also, make sure that you can get a proper caster angle.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Roupe

Roupe

Also, having the mounting points that far apart will limit your turning radius.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Agreed..

I never noticed any noticeable limitation with my set up. HRP

[​IMG]

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

What about length of them?

Attached Files:

6. VoodooChile

VoodooChile

You might see some reduction in turning radius if you're using tires remotely wider than stock. The rear inner face of the tire tends to hit the bone when turning full lock....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Fordors

Fordors

Turning radius can be more of an issue when using the '37 and later axles with their shorter span between the king pin and perch holes.

lurker mick likes this.
  8. ty johnson

ty johnson

Using a dropped 36 front axle

9. alchemy

alchemy

Make sure your caster is set right and everything else should be fine. If you are using cross steering you'll need a panhard bar.

10. LOL when that happens you have got a good start on a hotrod.

You can use a panhard bar but the spring pretty much keeps you axle where its supposed to be, the wish bone then serves to locate the axle front to back.

11. Front panhard bars are over rated. Put it together and drive it. Number 1 item is keep the King Pins and rod ends lubed to eliminate friction drag. If you notice to much loss of reaction at the steering wheel then add one. I doubt you will.
    The Wizzard

12. oj

oj

What year are those bones? thye look like Model A and they are upside down. They won't run uphill to the axle, they run straight. Looks like the 'Z' is a bit much.

13. ty johnson

ty johnson

36 bones and they've been pie cut to fall in location