Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SHRUNKEN HEAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steffen Jobst, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

choptop4 and quick85 like this.
  2. For serious car people? Or for people who just like do-dads?

zapp69 and hotroddon like this.
  3. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

What is "do-dads"?

4. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Does this fit into rare hot rod parts category ??????????????????????????????????????????????

5. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Sorry. My mistake. Where shall I post it?

6. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I changed to "Folks of interest" - ok?

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do-dads are the same as thingamabobs or gizmos.

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do-dads is a word used to describe things to add on to a vehicle that have no use or sometimes extra shinny things . Now a chromed shrunken head would be the extra special do-dad.

9. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Sorry, lonejacklarry my english is not good enough. I don't understand your question.

Thanks, Pete, I understand now.

Spooky and Okie Pete like this.
  10. RR

RR

Inflation is a killer on that thing! Went from $1 back in the 60's to $18.95 now? Pretty cool item!

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have a shrunken head that was my dad's back in the 60's. It looks exactly like the one in that ad. I also have a little devil head with a jewel in its eye. I will have to go to the garage and get a picture later today.

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Steffen,
    Those things were very common in ads and car accessories places in So Cal. My brother bought one and my mom threw it away. She thought it was infected and dangerous. So in her "mom" protectiveness, took it off of the mirror and threw it away when we weren't looking. We never knew where it went. Then, later, she told us what she did to that thing. But, a lot of local cars had them hanging from the rear view mirror. Girls were taken aback at the sight, some just laughed and thought it was a joke.
    Jnaki

clunker and mad mikey like this.
  13. Didnt the 55 Chevy in American Graffiti sport a shrunken head on his mirror?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your English is probably better than mine, Steffen. I was ribbing you a little by giving alternate names for little shiny objects and stuff. From the dictionary:
    noun, Informal.
    1. a decorative embellishment; trinket; bauble: a dress covered with doodads.
    2. a gadget; device: a kitchen full of the latest doodads.

Oh, yeah--"ribbing": about the same as teasing.

Texas57 likes this.
  15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have one to hang in my Model A.

clunker and mad mikey like this.
  16. No, in the movie, Bob Falfa had a SKULL hanging from the mirror.

17. I see your from Germany so I'll explain doo-dads.
    basically, doo-dads can be anything, trinkets, doo-dads could be anything trivial, hell, I guess, its hard to explain after all, doo-dads can be anything, like a shrunken head, like explained above, thingamabobs and gizmos.

Bruce Fischer and Steffen Jobst like this.
  18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Don't have any pictures but the "scares traffic cops away" is funny. I need a "rumpus room":D

19. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I used to be able to get cool ones as a kid at Disneyland at the Jungle boat gift shop. I believe they used to glow in the dark as well. In today's PC world they are no longer available. My avatar I think is a representation of some sort of subconscious fascination I had for these as a whippersnapper lol.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

41 C28, williebill, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Do-Dads are sheissa some folks hang on there rear view mirror. A great example is a Mirror Muff.

Katuna, williebill and Steffen Jobst like this.
  21. Steffen,
    A couple of the guys have given great explanations of "doo-dads". While shrunken head ads were in most comic books and car magazines, that doesn't mean that they were a popular or common item... if you can find an old JC Whitney catalogue, you will see PAGES of items that were advertised as "popular" or "must have" items that were little more than junk.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A mirror muff does not hang on a mirror unless it's lost it's elasticity:eek:

wojojo, mad mikey and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. 56shoebox

56shoebox

"Rumpus room" lol!!!

24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that looks like an ad from johnson products. used to be on inside back cover of comic books. i still get mailers from them. that might be a place to look. i always liked shrunken heads! steffen, i think the word "kitsch" may be close to what a shrunken head is.

25. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

you can make your own, from an apple.

Jet96 likes this.
  26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The best shrunken head, which I sill have, was one I got from a Billet Proof show in Tracy CA. It was made from goat skin, so it looked really, really real,,, I think it was goat skin,,,,,,,

tinsled, Jet96 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  27. I had one back in the early 60's hanging from the rear view mirror,some used fuzzy dice or high school graduation tassels.

There were all kinds of trinkets or doo hickeys available for just a few bucks,remember the checker board pillows people had on the package shelf in the back window,they were short lived but I still see a shrunken head occasionally. HRP

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  28. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Do-dads sind Verzierungen, normalerweise wertlose oder nichtsnutzige Verzierungen.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Texas57 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  29. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I have two. One of them has over 30,000 hot rod miles on it. Mine are the newer versions that are made of molded rubber. Both of mine were given "loaned" to me by friends. In both cases, their wives felt they were "racist" and told them to get rid of them. I'm 64 years old and I probably saw my first shrunken head when I was 10 or 11. At no time have I ever thought of them as racist. I was actually shocked.

Atwater Mike and Steffen Jobst like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing real shrunken heads in the museum...creepy shit...not in my Hotrod...
    Topless Betty Boop leads the way...I put my hand on her everytime I shift...:)
    Very little dangles in the coupe...just my ugly balding head...a few carefully selected stickers, rivets and pinstripes.

It's a personal thing of course what you adorn your Hotrod or Custom with.