Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting a title and registration in mass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Duellym

Duellym

The rest I bring this up is because I think it's a good Idea for me to get a title for my truck before I start spending big money on it.

So the truck was given to me by my uncle, who never technically owned it. It was last registered by my grandfather in 1971. That's the registration I have for it.

My major problem is, the truck has a peice of leather or some sort of material like that on the firewall, I'm assuming that's the vin tag, it's 70 years old so you can't really read it. There's nothing stamped onto the frame, and the only way I know what the vin is is off the old registration. Would they accept that as a vin, or am I basically going to have to get a new vin tag for the thing?

I would imagine I could get a title for the truck seeing how old it is, just the whole no vin on the truck has me worried.

As usual, any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year, make, and model is it?

3. tom in nh

tom in nh

Get ready for a good porkin' from Taxachusetts!
    Even if you can make it legal, those scum bags will make you pay a penalty for all those unpaid years back to 1971.
    You are better off selling it to someone in NH and buying it back with the current registration of the new owner.
    Good luck.

mcnally351 likes this.
  4. Go into the RMV and insist on speaking with a supervisor. Explain everything and get the scoop BEFORE you move forward.

Sometimes, in MA, you can get to a more knowledgable person over the phone, but set aside a couple hours of course.

No one has ever looked at the vin of my old car in MA. (Not saying they won't look at yours)

Taxachusetts:

In NH there is no sales tax, but they really get you for up charged property tax unfortunately, I grew up in NH, live in MA now, pretty much a wash.

5. Pete

Pete

Just bring the registration and a bill of sale from your grandfather to the registry and you'll be good to go. Make sure the bill of sale has a current date give or take a few months.

Mass just wants proof of ownership, some type of piece of paper with a vin number on it.

biggeorge likes this.
  6. What Pete said. However, they will want to see that someone paid sales tax on it. If you do not have a receipt from when your grandfather bought it, you will have to pay sales tax based on their estimate of current value.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

since you have not told us what year, make or model the truck is I will just point out that various years
    used either the engine number or the body serial number as they did not have a vin number as we now
    know it. For example my 1950 chevy truck was registered by its original and long gone engine, there
    are no vin numbers on the frame or anywhere else that match that number.

8. gonzo

gonzo

The truck belonged to your grandfather, since he registered it back in '71 there should be no issue with penalties for not paying sales tax. As long as the MVU-24 form that you're going to fill out states that the "transfer of ownership" is from your grandfather then you shouldn't be responsible for sales tax either.

Go to the link below.
    Go to the paragraph that says "Vehicles Transferred as a Gift"
    Download, print and complete the MVU-24 form.
    Bring that form along with any other paper work to the RMV.
    You'll get the truck titled in your name and pay NO sales tax.

https://www.massrmv.com/Registration/FamilyGiftTransfers.aspx

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. Duellym

Duellym

Thanks again,l.

Its a 1947 ford truck, sorry for not saying that in rhe first place.

So let me get this straight though, I just fill out this form and bring it to the registry and they just give me a title?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. Is either grandfather or your uncle still alive ?
    I see no one has mentioned serial number locations, maybe this thread from HAMB will assist you.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1947-ford-truck-vin-location.737991/

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Duellym likes this.
  12. Duellym

Duellym

Both are still alive, I was talking to both of them yesterday about it. My uncle had told me the truck is actually a 46 and he cut the vin tag off the frame, why I don't know from what I understand it was stamped into the frame next to the steering box, so maybe he cut it off accidentally while redoing the frame.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. According to the link I gave you, the serial number is located in several places on the vehicle.

14. Duellym

Duellym

[​IMG]

I found that but it doesn't match the vin on the registration. It was in the middle of the front crossmember, maybe a part number?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not familiar with trucks however on passenger cars it is stamped on frame in three (3) locations.. I've no idea what truck sequencing is. Surely someone out there would know.
    1942-1947 Pickups, a letter after the first numbers indicate the size truck:
    C = 1/2 ton,
    Y = 1 ton,
    T = 1 1/2 ton

[​IMG]

16. The numbers on the title could be either the body serial number or the engine serial number.
    Does the truck have its original engine ?
    You may want to check the other serial number locations on the frame, as posted in that link I showed you.
    I do not know the meaning of what you uncovered in your pic, maybe a Ford guy here can help decipher those for you.

17. From the link I spoke of .......
    "On the top of the frame rail near the front crossmember. If the frame is clean it should be visible from over the fender on the drivers side.
    It will be the same number on the frame near the back of the cab and at the rear crossmember"

18. Another post from the same link.
    "Transmission bellhousing and frame. Thats all Ford stamped. Thay matched when they left the factory. Rod"

19. Duellym

Duellym

No, it doesn't have the original drivetrain.

20. Duellym

Duellym

Yep, looked at all those places, what I showed you is all of the numbers on the truck. There's the serial tag. That's almost unreadable though.

21. Duellym

Duellym

So I had my father help me do some research, the number stamped into the front crossmember could be a vin 21c would mean it's was a 1942 ford with a v8 originally, my grandfather said it was a 4 banger when he got it and swapped in a 6, but I'm not 100% sure that's right he also told me he put an 8 in it. And he's had more than 1 of these trucks, so I don't know if he exactly knows what one it is.
    The vin on the registration, and it's registered as a 1947 ford truck is a 2ga, that's a passenger car. I think it's safe to say it's not the right one.

What I may do is get a replacement vin tag and put the 2ga number on it. I doubt anyone would notice it's not a truck vin.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VIN/serial alteration, with intent to deceive, is a FELONY, in all 50-states.

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

Use the paperwork you've got, and nobody will ask to see any numbers.
    -----------------------------------
    As others have said before;
    Bill of sale, with "0" as sale price ( from your Grandad)
    Gift form ( you WILL pay 25 bucks for sales tax) ( also from Grandad)
    Form for "Title Only" filled out
    The old registration- and use THOSE NUMBERS ON EVERYTHING!
    Give them the paperwork and DON'T say anything. If they question anything too much,
    just tell them "This is all I have". If they give you too much shit, get your paperwork back, thank them, and go to another RMV- sometimes they love to play KING. ( you play the Dunce) They're bored, $12 an hour drones.

And DON'T take advice about the Mass. RMV from anyone that doesn't live in Mass. They're talking out of their hat ( or other places) 90% of the time.

$75/ title and $25 tax and out the door! Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Duellym and clunker like this.
  24. Duellym

Duellym

Thanks will probably do so soon.

I honestly didn't trust out of state people before you said that, what would they know about our state?

25. mike bowling

mike bowling

Not so much an issue of trust, it's just that most states rules vary on old cars, and Mass. is just plain fucked up! Just look at the difference between NH and here-

26. Duellym

Duellym

I went down to talk with my parents insurance agent about getting a title for it last week, he told me to have my grandparent to get the title for it since my grandfather was the last "registered owner" and we had to fill out some paperwork (one of Wich was that gift form) and I should have a title for it tommrow or friday.

27. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

28. THERE YOU GO !

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

Happy Motoring!!

30. Duellym

Duellym

Thanks guys, now it's time to actually get the thing running.