Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cayers804, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cayers804

Cayers804

need help just bought a shoebox the tried making it a roadster I want to put a top on it need to know what tops I can go with different years or makes and models I hear 70s jag will work but what model ? Any info would be awesome and appreciated thanks

2. someone (or you?) cut the top off a `50 Ford and now you want to put a Jaguar top on it? what about using the original top?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Build a Carson top? Out of the original top? Or, do the research THEN do the work. Kinda like measure twice cut once

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. ......Yep, No time like the present to build a Carson-style top for it. Hope someone didn't cut the top off of a Coupe!:D:eek:

lothianwilly71 likes this.

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was just reading somewhere about someone who tried to make a convert out of a coupe and couldn't understand why the doors no longer lined up. he didn't brace it and didn't know that the ragtop frame is stronger to help with body flex...

Trichop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Geezz, I just have to say this. Post up some photos!! Let's see what your working with. The best way to actually getting help around here is to motovate us with photos. Are you trying to do something like this?
    The Wizzard
    June 4th 2014 027.jpg

low budget and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Yes, pictures.

8. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

what they said!

9. Cayers804

Cayers804

Attached Files:

10. Cayers804

Cayers804

11. Cayers804

Cayers804

Or if someone knows where I can get a top in California some leads would be greatly appreciated

12. Get some aluminum tubing and start mocking up a Carson style top.:)

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Your car is begging for a Carson top!:D IMG_0128.JPG

slv63, Mikel50 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ask a friend to help you with spelling punctuation and grammar. Everyone here is trying to guess what your posts mean.

Chili Phil likes this.
  17. thunderplex

thunderplex

This is what I love about the HAMB, ...chocked full of warm and caring individuals. Just be aware that some people on the HAMB may not have the prep school and Ivy League education that you may think you have. He's asking for information not criticitsim. Try to play nice.

...this response is my opinion, not an argument. Just my opinion.

junkjunky likes this.
  18. Hay, that looks like a good place to start no matter what you end up doing. I'm sure your aware the factory Convert frame was totally different. If your planing a folding top or a removable hard top you'll need to address the chassis also. You said Roadster in your opening statement, that would mean no side windows. No matter what folding top you start with you have some work in front of ya. You already knew that though. A lot of guys here have been where you are and results have varied a bunch. How about you fill us in on what your ideas are? I've done this before also and managed to get a finished product for a customer. That was some 35 years ago.
    The Wizzard

19. Looks like they chopped the windshield down as well, that'll need to be addressed if you put a regular roof back on it.

20. Cayers804

Cayers804

Thanks for the help and the negative comments always nice to get a laugh if anyone know where I can get an original top in California or surrounding states I'm open to that also please keep in mind the younger generation is the future and with out help from older generations teaching and giving us a hand even the smallest thing keeps these old cars on the road and keeps what we all love alive

low budget likes this.
  21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Do the tail lights and brake lights work?

The reason I ask is that the wiring for the rear of the car runs up the A post, over the drivers door and back down the C pillar, on Shainer's car they cut the wires and didn't fix it.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im sure it has been discussed elsewhere but it looks like the 4 door and 2 door sedan top skins could be the same.
    The 4 door one just has that filler piece where the 2 door rear side window and frame would be, looks like the drip rail is in the same location???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. There are some great threads on building a Carson top on the HAMB. Use the search. If that doesn't yield the results you need, ask and someone will remember the thread. It's cool that you want to save Mommy's Little Monster. The Social Distortion skeleton is there to remind you that alcohol and body work do not mix. Good luck.

24. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

i would look at a Gene Winfield fiberglass top. make it fit and you can kustom paint it or add vinyl to it for a carson style top