Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Mercury factory kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Nov 19, 2016.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Amazing. Already looks killer!

ampsbad41 likes this.
  2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, that's some incredible workmanship and execution! I've always been fascinated with watching a chop materialize and all the different cut methods and techniques used to accomplish the task. Seen a lot of Merc chop tutorials but never one like yours where the quarter windows are cut out and slid back. I've seen the technique, just not on a Merc. It should really help the Merc not lose too much of it's quarter window size, which can be an issue on hammered Merc's along with the rear window roof dip which you've addressed.
    Great work in going the extra mile with all the hand shaped roof panels. Merc chops are a lot of labor, plus you did all the extra forming work to make it perfect. Curious to know how many hours you have into it?

ampsbad41 likes this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

While surfing the web, I found this 2" chopped Fleetline built along the same basic theme, with spectacular results.

[​IMG]

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and ampsbad41 like this.
  4. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

Dam , you are good ....

ampsbad41 likes this.
  5. Thanks Hennie.

Thanks Karl. Fleetlines are a tough task to chop

Thanx
    Thank you Marcus
    Thanks. Up to this stage I have somewhere around 130 hours. Estimate around 300 hours before it´s done.

That´s a really nice fleetline. Thanks for sharing

Thanks a lot man

Now it´s time to start on the window trim and garnish moldings. Making all new stainless trim from half round D-shaped bar. P1030605.JPG P1030617.JPG P1030604.JPG

BigO, Squablow, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  6. the owner must have a smile on his face. great job.

7. jose gonzalez

jose gonzalez

wow nice chop so much work

ampsbad41 likes this.
  8. jose gonzalez

jose gonzalez

i just noticed some national flippers any interest in selling any of them been looking

9. This is OUTSTANDING WORKMANSHIP !!!!! I really like the look when you set it out side.....I always do that as you just can not see the over all image setting in the shop.
    Well done!

Hnstray and 54delray like this.
  10. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Going from concept to reality in 2 short pages so far .... pretty cool!! I really would like to see more detail than 3 pics in post #35. Thats where so many chopped Mercs fall short. Too many ugly rubber gaskets or cheesy plastic door edge guard material. Your homemade stainless deserves it's own tech article. Keep up the great work.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    stanlow69 and nailed31 like this.
  12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This is really excellent workmanship and your documentation ain't too shabby either! Could you explain your process with the window trim and D channel as well as how you attach the trim once completed?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Thanks. Just tries to make his vision of how he wants it.

Thank you. Yeah your right. A lot of labor going going in to this

Sorry:(

Thanks. A good outside look from a distance is necessary. It´s impossible to do that inside a garage unless it´s a big warehouse

:):):)

Thanks guys. Sorry but I don´t have any better pics of the trim process. I start making a paper template of the windowopening as big as the trim will be on the outer perimeter. Then I cut off 1/2"(the same amount as the bar is wide ) and makes a steel template from that. Then I heat and shape the stainless bar around the steel template and weld it together. The backside I drill and tapp with M4 thread 4mm deep. Weld some small tabs on to the small edge in the window opening to get some more material to drill in, drills holes in it matching the holes in the trim and mounts the trim with small countersunk allenhead screws. Attached is a pic from the backside of door to get an idea of it.
    Hope it makes sence.
    P1030656.JPG

14. Have got all the window trim and ventwindows done and testfitting with rubberseals. Also made an extension to make the fenderskirts higher just as Sam Barris did on his 49.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO, The 39 guy, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  15. ampsbad41

ampsbad41
    from Texas

Great project one of my favorite custom and you are doing a great job

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

A nice tasteful chop.

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow! i wish i had your talent and patience! thats going to be outstanding. its got the look.

18. dclark

dclark
    from So-Cal

Nice, very tasteful. I always thought 2” was perfect. Most Merc chops are way too much. Great work, I can’t bring myself to chop mine.

19. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

20. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

There's a guy that comes to Santa Maria that has a stock bodied 51 Merc that is lowered and chopped and looks dynamite. The Mercaholics just look at each other and smile with a nod of approval. Look's Cool Man. Funny thing is that Merc's look cool just lowered and clean. I had a nice stock bodied 50 that was just lowered w nice paint and I was surprised how many time I was asked how much it was chopped.
    Always amazed by the old saying that there is ""more than one way to skin a cat"" and that saying sure could apply to how many way's you see Merc's chopped.
    Very nice work on the 49.

21. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I loved this approach does anyone have these pictures saved by chance?

22. X2. Would love to see all the original photos..

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

unfortunately Kenneth is severely ill and has been for some time, I spoke with his son