Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roadster "windscreens"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Dec 22, 2016.

1. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I am building a '29 ford roadster. Thinking about different windshield ideas.

I am considering something similar to what's on Wayne Carini's Moal roadster. What are your thoughts on these things? Are these called "windscreens"? If not, what is the proper name for them?

[​IMG]

I did find these using a HAMB search.
    http://www.minimania.com/part/BROOKLANDS/Brookland-Race-Windscreen

Thanks for any info/opinions!
    Mike

T-roaster and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I always thought that the proper name for them was "odd". Or something along the lines of one of Walt Disneys characters :D

Bandit Billy and WiredSpider like this.
  3. Looks similar to DuVall windshields to me. Nothing sacred or particularly cool looking about the stock early Fords to me! I like it, it has a cool 1930's look to me, like a 30's race car would have. AND yes, I think it's traditional.

4. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Look up brookland.

raven likes this.

5. While it may look cool (personally I don't think so) the windscreen on the Carini/ Moal Roadster isn't all that functional. Once you spend some time in a Roadster I think you'll prefer a "real" windshield. I think that the wind racing between those two panels would become annoying quickly and might add to some discomfort in the cabin. Your '29, assuming you have a "stock" cowl section would look very cool with some of those folding stanchions that clean up that "oh too vertical look" of the '29 windshield posts. I'll try to find some pictures to post. Meanwhile here's a shot of my '32 on a very chilly morning in route to the Jalopyrama show. I'm thankful for as much windshield as I have.:D...Photo credit: Gene and Phil. Westminster bound (1).JPG

clem, T-roaster, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Those windscreens are perfect for that style car. They aren't really much in the way of actual protection, but were used on period race cars for streamlining and to keep the wind, rocks, roost, big bugs and low flying birds out of the crews face. They are the absolute "minimum to be legal" windscreens for racing (and probably for the street these days), especially in classes where removing the stock windshield was illegal. Gary

7. A few pictures showing some "laid back" stanchions. 6170398913_d7fb3d2874.jpg 0910sr_05_z+1929_ford_roadster+body.jpg 1929-Ford-Model-A-Roadster.jpg

8. I have a set of Brooklands screens on my OT car. Mine have a cast foot that seals to the cowl, standard Brooklands screens sit on little posts and you get the wind blowing underneath the screen. As mentioned earlier, the wind between the driver and passenger screens can be annoying - mainly when you are carrying a passenger and want to talk. I made up a slip in piece from perspex that blocks the gap - works well.

I like them and find that they do the same job as a larger windscreen - plus they can be easily adjusted for rake. It's surprising the difference a few degrees makes to the airflow.

[​IMG]

Clark, cactus1 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

True this. Southern California in the summertime is perfect for abbreviated windshields but elsewhere in cool weather not so much. I've even come to love my wind wings to calm the tempest in the cockpit on cold days...they don't look all that cool but I'm a pussy.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I had Brookland wind screen on my Rootieb speedster and they looked great. Like others have posted here, they don't function all that well

11. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I've really enjoyed driving my roadster with this windshield. It's easy to have a conversation with a passenger. Much quieter inside than with the original glass. But on a hot day there is less air movement in the cockpit.

Attached Files:

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Thanks guys. All good food for thought. Still debating on this. Form versus function, unique versus mainstream.
    Mike

13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Nothing cooler than a laid back, chopped, stock frame Mike....

117harv and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

If you have safety inspections that require a minimum height glass or wipers you might not be able to run them.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, as soon as I see this, I think about that piece of SHIT throwing something at your daughter, and I get angry all over again!:mad:

16. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike- as far as I'm concerned, the only other windshield that is cooler on a model a besides a chopped stocker is a hallock...

17. ....................So, which way did you go? Still considering the situation?:D

18. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I have both on my OT TR3. The polycarbonate is used for both the wind wings on the factory windshield and for the wind screens. I just unscrew them from the windshield and attach them to the wind screen brackets. I'll have to admit that if you have a long road trip, brooklands are not the way to go and wind wings on a factory windshield really adds to the comfort of a roadster.
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Home made from a 36 Ford windshield frame. I can see sectioning the dash rail down to near level with the tank or incorporating the step into the frame and doing something similar. Small but still a full windshield 1-8-17 025.JPG

T-roaster likes this.
  20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I had a different experience of the Brooklands "screens" than some of the others on this thread. I put a single Brooklands screen on my Lotus Super 7 many years ago, and the airflow over it and my head was vastly more comfortable than it had been with the stock full windshield. Despite the gap below the screen, no air leaked beneath it; it all went over the top and my head was in still air:
    SuperSeven0100.jpg
    At first, I only used one screen because that was all I had. I later added a second one on the passenger side, and it worked equally well for the passenger without disturbing the airflow on my side.

DJCruiser and T-roaster like this.
  21. For a lot of us, the "wind, rain, and bugs in your face, was part of the experience. On the many motorcycles I had, I wouldn't even consider a windshield or fairing. My last project (OT sbc powered Triumph Spitfire) had a cut down windshield and no top. On the other hand; my current ride ( 50 Dodge coupe), is a lot more practical as an all-weather ride!

22. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

The Austin Healey 100/4 had a two position windscreen, which could be a solution; and some early MGs had a fold-down unit. ah-100-4det.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. reefer

reefer

24. By the way, I wore aviator goggles driving the Spitfire, as sunglasses would blow off

25. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Just to close the loop on this thread (I see it just came up again), I am going the conservative route with a stock windshield and posts, chopped 3". Still need to find them though!

117harv and CTaulbert like this.
  26. t walgamuth

t walgamuth

I had a small deflector I used with my Lotus y repro for autocrossing. It worked well. I now have a Cobra replica and am considering these for it so I can use if wanted. If wind is too much on the road with them use a helmet.;)