Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. one step at a time. looking good as always!

3. nali

nali

Sure Andy will make a nice driving thing :p

4. Thanks guys . Now on to installing steering again , then swing pedal assembly

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Buick bod 5.jpg
    Not much happening for the last week as I lost my mom of 83 years . She accepted things as they were and she was called home on Dec 14 . Was not unexpected but all in all it is still gut wrenching to say the least . Today I figured it was time to get on with getting on as she was not one to sit still for long and I have that trait in me as well !
    That said I was able to get something accomplished today . You can see in the pictures there is severe angle to the master cylinder . Anybody run their setup this way ? Issues ? I did calculations and I would need a 10 degree wedge between the booster and the firewall to get the M/C level . I am thinking I have some work ahead still . I have to back up the 4 mounting studs up under the dash to prevent firewall flex under application . Was able to get the fire wall body to frame mounts completed as well . Punched two access holes to get the ratchet into in order to tighten down the mounts . I believe the brake pedal is to high and will be cut and lengthened at a later date . To soon to tell !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  6. Andy, sorry to hear about your Mom. That's always tough. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

As for your MC, from the pictures it looks like the body sits level, it's just the reservoir that's a bit "cat-e-whomp-us". Could you just use a different MC like the typical SpeedWay Chevy MC?

7. Sorry about loosing your Mom

8. Thanks biggeorge . You still have both? It's a tough thing to go through!

9. Thanks Dave for your words on my mom ! As far as the M/C issue you are onto something there . Sometimes the obvious is not so . I wonder what it's based on ? I could just go to NAPA and buy one if I knew the application .

10. Sadly no I was brought up by my mom and grandmother and they passed Many years ago but they are always with me.
    George

aw1950 likes this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences Andy. Lost my 87 year old mother in July, she was starting to suffer so it was time, so I know exactly how you feel. But feel lucky to have had her for so long, sure you feel the same.

12. George, I hope you don't think my like was sarcasm it was just an acknowledgement of your situation you lived through as well . I had to say this as it was bothering me since I gave the like !

13. Jimmy my friend my mom was the same as yours . Her independence was gone , wheelchair was her life now . This was not her for sure and mercifully the Lord called her home ! Thanks Jim ! Andy

14. Not at all,I understood what it meant mainly because I've done the same thing myself and had the same reaction afterwards.
    George

15. Elevated 1.jpg Couple of shots as to what I am up to now . Built a big ass sawhorse 5'x4' and rested the cross member onto it . Am able to clean up the underside, trans tunnel area and blend in the welded floor pans and driveshaft tunnel . Boring stuff but progress none the least . Just used an engine hoist to get it into the air like that .

Attached Files:

koolkemp likes this.
  16. Looks like the MC reservoir is level now. progress is always good, even it it's the boring stuff. Just means you're that much closer to being done.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Sorry for your loss,Andy.
    Its good to see some progress,keep it up!

aw1950 likes this.
  18. Yeah Dave LOL . Maybe convert it to a wheel stander !!! That'll fix the reservoir issue !!!

Thanks to you Antti !

19. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Sorry for your loss Andy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

aw1950 likes this.
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

See, it's smart that you chopped it, you have more room to lift it higher! It must feel good to see some clean metal.

aw1950 likes this.
  21. transition 1.jpg

Just a small progress shot of a little detail that I am putting back on the car . The fenders on these Buicks didn't all go straight down and drop off at the bottom of the fender . They transitioned to the right, overlapping the rocker panel . So this is what I am doing , it also facilitates closing the rather large gap at the bottom of the fender to rocker opening . Also I have the fender secured now and set it correct position . You cant tell but I am in the process of knocking down high filler amounts on the fender . Blocking from the door to the fender and using a 4' level to get the transition from door to fender as flat as possible . Have probably blocked a pint off so far and not done yet . I don't mind bondo but I don't want 1/2" of the stuff anywhere also ! Just getting the details done . Time consuming as hell though . Andy..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    biggeorge and koolkemp like this.
  22. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's neat , I never noticed that before, is the front clip back on permanently Andy or do you have re and re it still. I'm so excited to get the clip on the 47 , so I don't have to see the chassis any more! Good to see some progress Andy!

23. Steve I wish it was the final install but they will need removed again but after this the fenders will need por15 'd underneath and then they will be ready for final blocking and dare I say it , paint ? When the clips are back on it really changes the look for us the builders doesn't it . You can say now we're getting somewhere .

Hivolt5.0 and biggeorge like this.
  24. Feb 1.jpg

Here is where I am at now . In the last couple weeks I have spent countless hours blocking filler off the car and straitening the panels . Likely removed 1/2 gallon of filler on this side . I knew there was a lot to work with . There is a strong pull to a magnet now almost everywhere on this side . I am figuring I am down to 1/8" - 3/16" of filler anywhere on this side . I can accept that ! I like my decision to make the fender transition piece as well . Makes for a nice clean transition from fender to rocker .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  25. koolkemp

koolkemp

biggeorge likes this.
  26. Got a skirt fine tuned to the body now that this side is 90 % prepped and in final shape . I tried to show the nice fit to body . Just a quick shot of the benchtop English wheel I made . It moves metal fast .

Attached Files:

LONG and biggeorge like this.
  27. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

28. Yes , Shane , progress . I should be yard driving at least, this summer . I picked up a good running engine 305 a few weeks ago . The engine I had is stuck after sitting since 2010 . This new engine was a no brainer . Price was right . Now that the weather has warmed some I am going to attempt a run tomy shed for rad support , rad , and grille so I can keep the momentum going . I don't have nearly as much time for the car as a few years ago ! Later man ,

koolkemp and hacknwhack like this.
  29. Looking great Andy! Boy the fender skirt really finishes off the rear of the car.

hacknwhack likes this.
  30. Yes it sure does , doesn't it Dave . Get it into primer as well and the smooth transition will be complete !