Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Wheels - show us what you've got!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Feb 15, 2008.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Curious as to what wheels these are. Does anyone know? This is my Dad's 53 Chevy from back in the day.

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

May be Foremost wheels but not positive.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Kelsey-Hayes Stripper.....

Kelsey-Hayes Stripper -02.jpg

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  4. I'm with DDDenny, Drag Mags by Foresight Ventures

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That DDD guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but I think you are on to something.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. guffey

guffey

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0739.JPG [/ATTACH] I have 4 of these, 15/8 and how rare are these

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. Mojo

Mojo

For sale by any chance? Love those wheels, but they're hard to find.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They came from a Goodyear Racing Tire Dealer in Dallas, Bob Schroeder. i have never seen another set. The clearcoat has turned to dust. The adapters are drilled for 4-1/2 and 4-3/4 Ford and Chevy pattern. From what I remember they were for a 50 model Ford with a small center hub. Camp make bicycle parts in Italy. PM me if interested. Frank

11. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Send PM

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I looked on the Web and could not find anything but bicycle wheels.

13. You didn't look hard enough. Campagnolo made wheels for a lot of foreign car companies, mostly Italian. Abarth, De Tomaso, Fiat, Ferrari, Lancia, Lamborghini, Maserati, BMW and even Porsche

falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  14. blackout78666

blackout78666

Alleman racing wheels. Redondo beach?? 6 pin... Never have seen another or have any info on the manufacturer. image.jpeg image.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  15. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Love that Impala, wheels look great on that car

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. wheelguy

wheelguy

Not real rare but unusual.
    ORIGINAL 1960s "D" spokes polished and modified >>15 x sixes narrowed to 4 1/2 wide and 15 x 7s widened to 15 x NINE.
    These were done to fit an Anglia I had about PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 191.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 196.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 194.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 200.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 191.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 196.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 194.JPG PG SHIFTER  RAT ROD AC 200.JPG 27 years ago > Car is long gone but I still have the wheels.

17. guffey

guffey

14x15 Cragar SS 5on5 pattern DSCN2463.JPG DSCN2465.JPG DSCN2460.JPG DSCN2461.JPG

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Love the D's, especially the narrow ones, curious who did the work, not a lot of people doing them anymore. A friend of mine has had Lonnie Gilbertson do a few sets and I know Eric Vaughn did a lot of them.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Seeing these reminds me of the Dave Gale Doane Clone Deuce after his change to the red color and the American Racing Wheels which had the narrow width in the outer lip area.
    John Coute changed that car around a bit by adding wider Americans.

IMHO I feel that it looked great in Dave Gale guise with D spokes.

20. harryhotrod

harryhotrod

IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0996.JPG
    18x2 up front 11x15 halibrands out back

AdeQ8Styl, mgtstumpy, maneri and 2 others like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. noboD

noboD

I had a set of Campagnolos on my '71 Fiat. They were grey painted magnesium.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  24. I bought these Appliance 15x8.5 x 5" (Olds) back in about '66 when I was getting parts for my Willys gasser clone. Had a set of 14x6 for the front but sold them when I got the great Halibrand repro gasser mags for the front. had 'em polished.

mycar1.jpg DSide.jpg

25. alchemy

alchemy

I AM a fan of these wheels, probably because all the yahoos with jacked up '72 Novas wearing 50 series tires scooping the loop of my town wore the Cragar SS. And I wanted something different.

When I was working on a '39 Chevy project 20 years ago I searched out a set of GT's and fully polished them. I used 14" on the front and 15" on the rear. Different enough to not be mistaken for an SS, but similar enough to been recognized as a vintage Cragar. The 14" wheels are common (if any GT can be called common), but a 15" wheel is hard to find. The most common bolt patterns are 4.5 and 4.75, but I've seen a couple 5" at swap meets. I've never seen a 5.5" BC wheel. And all Cragar GT wheels are 6" wide. I've never heard, read, or seen of any other width.

I used the smooth spoke, which is my favorite and the most common, but there are a few of the inset spoke out there as well. They are called GT too, even though the spoke has a really different look to it.

scottrod2, Phillips and quick85 like this.
  26. hilborn injection looks funny in the first pic????

32Stoker likes this.
  27. Actually if I remember right the other G/T CRAGAR was called the G/T Plus. I'm at work so I can't get to my catalogs

28. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always liked these wheels as well - I've had a few sets come and go but never had them on a car. Never bought a full set at a time, always one or two, then find another one or two at a time. Which makes sense as the cars I recall as a kid with these usually only had them on the front.

The new one piece Cragar G/T (below) amazingly is very close in appearance, except that its all aluminum - considering how messed up the new flat spoke looking S/S Cragar is its quite a surprise how good these turned out.

new cragar GT.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  29. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another set I should have kept, not truly defined as "rare" since they aren't particularly desired, but certainly unusual and hard to find in a full set. JC Penney "Trac Tamer", these were 14x6 with a 5x5 bolt pattern! Typical composite steel rim/aluminum center, but welded not riveted, nice construction, I'm assuming they were actually built by Appliance Plating. Note the center cap does not have the screws like most Torq Thrust copies. They ended up on the Starfire below, somewhere in BC.

Trac Tamer IMG_0774.jpg Trac Tamer 2.jpg Trac Tamer.jpg starfire trac tamer 2.jpg starfire trac tamer.jpg

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg Not positive on the make, I'm thinking US or Rocket. They came on the front of the Barrious/Minall LSR roadster I bought in 1981. When I rebuilt the car I felt it needed a narrow track and a new axle was made and reversed the wheels on the hub. No front brakes so no problem hitting anything. The back side got the Moon Disc treatment too, attached to the spindles. Look different on backwards.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.