Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Did an intro post couple days ago, here are pics from the start: Resting peacefully. Got the gasser bug and out comes the torch ! Rough old girl, too much to restore. I will also be including pics and info about my other toys and their adventures.
    build 1.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    els, kiwijeff, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Had to put the sticker on it to start ! Gives me hope ! sga sticker.JPG

els, kiwijeff, Quain Stott and 2 others like this.
  3. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Always loved those cars!

els and Fiddle Picker like this.
  4. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

build 4.jpg build 5.jpg Wrenching and torching build 2.jpg

els and AHotRod like this.

5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Ruff, Hmm. build 3.jpg , understatement !

els, T-roaster and AHotRod like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Me too Okiewelder. Gonna be fun. My 54 coupe is probably going back to street use with an occasional blast down the track. Looking forward to banging gears in this one. Thanks.

els likes this.
  7. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Frame was rusted through all the way to under the driver area. Was going to graft to the front clip but had to go all the way to just in front of the rear springs. build 9.jpg build 10.jpg build 11.jpg build 12.jpg

els and AHotRod like this.
  8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Out with old, in with the new. build 18.JPG build 19.JPG build 20.JPG build 21.JPG

els, AHotRod, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

More later.

els likes this.
  10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Forgot to mention, I have been searching for period correct wheels. If anyone has a set or pair of old style slots 15 by 8 or 10 with 5 on 4.5 pattern to sell or trade let me know. I have a line on some skinnys but don't have them in my hands. Not interested in unilugs. Thanks.

els and loudbang like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Why not go all the way to the back end with new steel for the frame? That way you will not have to worry about internal rust in that old steel when you drop the hammer at 6 Grand.
    You are that close. It is looking good.
    My Morris Minor build is about as far as yours, but expected to make a big jump in the next 2 weeks.
    Going to Ga to pick up a narrowed 9 in. this week from a friend whos blown Studebaker Gasser drag car sadly burned when his shop caught fire.

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Good point Sir. Was going to go all the way back. After checking out the rear frame there were no issues so, for time reason, I elected to leave the rear clip, as it looks more period correct from the rear. You would have to crawl under the car to see where it's now joined. All the stress will be put on the part of the frame that I replaced. The ladder bar front mount will take the hard hit and it will be in the new frame area. Roll bar bracing going to the rear will take care of anything else. Saw your Morris Minor, great build ! One of my buds in high school had one and I always loved that car.

32Rules likes this.
  13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the front sheet metal mocked up and she's back on all fours. build 22.jpg build 23.JPG build 24.JPG build 25.JPG

elgringo71, els, T-roaster and 7 others like this.
  14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Rhonda, gave me a roll bar kit for Christmas ! Believe it or not, the 67-69 Camaro main hoop fits perfectly. Did this trial and research when I did the 54 Stude Coupe and the 66 Rambler American 2dr Sedan for my son almost 10 years ago. roll bar kit.JPG

els, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Doing the really nasty grunt work now. Stripping, etching, priming one panel at a time. Having to straighten nasty dent on L rear quarter and that catches us up to now. Don't have the wheels that I want, so I'm going to mount slicks on the Cragars that I have to check out my Quarter Radius job.
    More as it happens, probably be a while, spent out ! quarter work.JPG

els, wicarnut and AHotRod like this.
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Another fact about the car. I know the previous owner and he offered to sell it to me when I was building my 54 Coupe. He had owned it since the sixties. Couldn't afford to do two. Saw it several years later in another friends salvage yard and bought it from him. Car sat for more than 40 years. All original with one repaint, I know from the stripping process. Studebaker fans don't be a hater for me cutting this one up. Really rusty, so bad that it rusted the bottom off the glove box door and the bottom of the dash ! So, it will live again and I wont gut it so it could possibly see street use again in the future. I do all of them with this in mind. Most of the rust has been cut out, still working on that. Got new rockers and will be metal patching the rest. Have complete running gear from both cars if anyone needs them. Sell cheap, trade.

elgringo71, els, koolkemp and 3 others like this.
  17. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

She was originally two toned, light blue with white top. Bet it was beautiful !

els likes this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just keep on keeping on Johnny, and it'll soon all start coming together, looking good to this point.

19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Dave, means a lot that you approve. I'm still trying to talk them out of Harris' 53 coupe, not getting far. Need to see if it has the Hawk dash, may be your old ride.

els and hotcoupe like this.
  20. Wow, that's some serious rust, or more appropriate lack of metal. I have a 55 coupe that is not quite as bad, that is my future land speed race car project. At least that's the plan, like yours mine is also too far gone for a street build, but a great race car build.

Wish mine was a 53-54, but since mine has a slightly crunched front end, it will be getting a fiberglass 53-54 style nose and front end. Keep up the good work, the new frame looks good and now you have the base to start building off of. What engine/trans are you going to run in it? What rearend?

els, 54stude and Fiddle Picker like this.
  21. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

While it was on my mind I called Paulette again about the other 53. She says David's son still not selling. Says all glass vandalized now, not worth anything to anybody. I said, Oh yes it is ! Says she will check with him again and call me back.

els likes this.
  22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks 38chevy454. Most of the rust is gone now. My platform is now very solid. Still scraping, sanding and treating the rear clip. Did a little boxing where I thought it needed it. Good luck with your 55 land speed car. Yup, the 53,54 nose looks better any way. I cut the teeth out of my 54 grille because I liked the look of the 53 grille. Everybody thinks it's a 53 also. My engine plans are somewhere around 302 ci for D/Gas or 355 for C/Gas. Have a large shaft pro shift Muncie 2.50 low gear for starters and a Heavy duty housing 9 in. Ford with 5.13 gears. Gonna use what I have to get this thing going. I know there are better options, can't do all premium the first year with the other costs of building.

els likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

that's funny about your Christmas present. My wife bought me a roll cage kit and a set of seats.
    I got one for an Anglia since Jegs stopped making them for a Morris Minor. It seems their guy that bent them up retired and took some of the patterns with him. At least that's the story I got from them.
    Glad to hear your rear frame rails were sound. The Morris was a unibody,so I had no choice.
    Good luck with the rust. I do a lot of rust repair on old cars and trucks. Ain't it fun. In fact I am doing a 73 Grand Torino Sport that had been done with Fiberglass and Bondo right now. The owner can't understand why it cost more to redo something once it was done wrong.
    What are you using for power?

els, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  24. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Sammy.JPG
    Nothing more fun than rust repair, maybe redoing a bad repair job ! Seems my last 10 years have been rust repair. My daily driver 53 Chevy 210 Handyman Wagon was also eat up. Better now. Most dependable vehicle I own ! Cha Ching on your Christmas gifts, nothing beats rod parts. Check out previous post reply about running gear. Thanks. Here's the driver, original paint with satin clear over it. Still NO Bondo on this car. you can see the repair scars.

Spoggie, 32Rules and els like this.
  25. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Ha! I cringed when I saw your thread title, but when I saw the pictures I quickly forgave you for cutting it apart.

I could probably use that running gear, but I'm guessing by the rust on your car that you're nowhere nearby. Cars don't rust like that in the Rockies!

26. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I'm South of the Smokies, 5 minutes from Atlanta Motor Speedway. You would think this car was from Great Lakes area or further north. Its been here for a very long time. Humidity kills them when they sit down here. Let me know about the running gear. I don't need it and have 2 complete sets. Don't know condition. Thanks.

27. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got a 29.5 by 10.5 stuck in there. I Like ! big tire.JPG

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

What Class (A,C,D) are you aiming for with Quain's group?
    Whats the drivetrain?

29. 'Mo

'Mo

''So, it will live again and I wont gut it so it could possibly see street use again in the future.''

30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Yup, Quain's group. Great people. Plan on C may start in D. SBC 302 or 355 depending.