Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installed Chevy 350 engine VS. Ford 351 W engine swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Dec 18, 2016.

1. The only reasons for swaping out a new Chevy engine for a new Ford engine is you have plenty of time on your hands,you don't like Chevy's,or you are a card carrying member of the "I have more money than brains association.":D

Many members here would kill to have a running car or truck. HRP

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

BINGO! Forget about impressing the rod-abillies, impress yourself instead...Every time you slide your ass behind the wheel!;):)

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What would Bob and Doug do?

[​IMG]

4. I've just wasted seven and a half minutes of my life reading this thread, and hitting the like button.

Your truck, your money, do what you want.
    Do you really care what I think?

Well, since you asked, I'd use the spare cash you have for a swap, to hook up a 6.71 blower, and go leave black marks all over town. :D

steinauge, Montana1, das858 and 2 others like this.
  5. Schwanke nailed it. Don't re invent the wheel. Underdrive a blower on what I assume to be a stock engine. Purge the billet, get the alternater mounted down low and at least a set of block huggers so she can exhale. Everyone likes a blower.

kiwijeff and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. They would take off, to the Great White North...

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. Your forgot to say EH!, at the end of your sentence. Lol

clunker and falcongeorge like this.
  8. finn

finn

My 36 Ford pickup has a sbc, and I'm a Ford guy at heart.

I've learned to accept the sbc transplant despite its faults. The truck needs other help before I'd contemplate upgrading to SBF power.

9. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

I had a 350 in my 53 f100. It was nice, goid amount of cheap power, but not what i wanted. So i ran it until ready for a new motor. Took me 6 years of fun (daily hard earned commuter fun), but now i have what i want. A project to add to the pile. I have a 392 waiting for it when i get around to it.
    Do what makes you happy. If it takes time, it takes time. You'll make the extra work if you want it. I would do the swap, but thays me. Ford on ford is nice, hemi on ford is my slice of cake.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Ford Motor Company gives out awards for putting a Ford engine in a Ford. Give them a call, maybe they will take things a step further and pay you to do the swap.

11. Hell, If Hot Rodders had followed that advise in the beginning, no one would have built a Hot Rod! LOL
    Nothing wrong with tearing apart a running vehicle to make it more the way YOU want it.

Pan won't fit? I wish someone would have told me before I did the swap in both my 53 and 56 F-100's, they didn't hit anything, but .........
    As for swapping the Chevy for a Ford, if that's what makes him happy, isn't that what this whole hobby is supposed to be about? I'm not sure it will give him ANY HAMB Cred though.

12. Leakie

Leakie

Leave the SBC, it's the only good thing about a Ford.

bobss396 and robracer1 like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Must be all the snow we have this year, I was wondering if anyone would catch that!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry guys, but Schwanke already answered any and all questions. Case closed, this sucker is done, put a fork in it! :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

15. I wouldn't tear apart a running vehicle
    Hell, If Hot Rodders had followed that advise in the beginning, no one would have built a Hot Rod! LOL
    Nothing wrong with tearing apart a running vehicle to make it more the way YOU want it.

I guess that's because the grass is greener on the other side too.

The # 1 cause of vehicle death is tearing it apart and ,,,,, some kind of BS sidelines the thing for doom. There's a some sort of dismembered "Dream" in every 5th garage that sits and rots providing none of its designed or desired enjoyment.

If it's together and doing what it's supposed to then enjoy it.

There's one here right now, a 69 Camaro taken apart back in 1984 for a big block swap.
    There was nothing wrong with the high stepping small block, just wanted it better. And while it's down might as well freshen up the paint, ( it needed a buff) so block sand it, strip it, blah blah. The entire car, every single thing, clip nut bolt everything has been in boxes, bags and buckets since 1984. When just the doors and fenders hood and deck lid got set up on the car couple months ago the guy cried because he hadn't seen the car together 32 years.

I'm with these guys who say put a 6-71 on it.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. I put a SBC in my Ford and it was quite easy. I like Fords but I don't like Ford engines outside of a 351C or 429/460 and I had the SBC and related parts. To go Ford would have busted my budget. If the truck is in the classifieds, sell it and move on to the next project.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or put some forged d cups in it, and overdrive it 10%...:D

18. Well, merry Christmas & I hope you come to a solution that suits you. Harvesting opinions can till up a lot of stuff. Saw ya posted up briefly.

19. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

THANKS for all the advice

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    falcongeorge likes this.