Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installed Chevy 350 engine VS. Ford 351 W engine swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Dec 18, 2016.

1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

In my 1955 Ford F-100 2 year Rest-O-Rod build now with 950 miles on it, --I have a NEW Chevy 350 installed with TH-400 but thinking of installing my NEW Ford 351 W engine rear sump pan and C-4 trans---- any suggestions--- any big problems with the swap-- going to use Mid- Fifty tubular engine mount and correct engine block mounts---Thanks

( ANY PICTURES of your finish engine install )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Definitely put a ford in a ford

rpm56 and 6-bangertim like this.
  3. Why bother? Looks like you have a nice, running truck now.

Montana1 and X38 like this.
  4. Put the ford in it. That way you can spend more money on parts. Transmission probably won't bolt-up correctly though.

5. Suggestions?
    Do what you want !
    How's that for thinking outside the box.
    I wouldn't tear apart a running vehicle

shawnsauto1 and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

7. I'm a Ford in a Ford guy, but also practical. You've got a running, trouble-free combination right now? Don't change it unless you just feel antsy. I know antsy. Sometimes it just bugs you until you do what you've been thinking about. When it doesn't work out, you kick yourself for not leaving well enough alone. When it does work out, you kick yourself for wasting all that time delaying. Neither is wrong. Tell us what you finally decide, then update us when you change your mind. Been there.

8. 53mercury

53mercury

If your a Ford guy, you already know the answer. If not, probably doesn't matter. Not like there is any shortage of 350's in early Fords. Mike

warbird1 likes this.
  9. The 351 W is a proven engine and a Ford in a Ford is cool, too.
    But they miss the trad cutoff by a few years. That SBC could be dressed like a 327 easy.

10. Who cares what we think...............

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And the pan won't fit. But hey, it makes perfect sense to spend a couple grand switching over to a motor that won't make more power or get better mileage, just for HAMB cred, right? Can I get an amen??

Montana1, J D Coop and kiwijeff like this.
  12. AMEN BROTHER!!
    Preach !!

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know what I find REALLY confusing? Whenever one of these threads is posted, the "hate the belly button, put a XXXX in it" crowd has a ton of crossover with the "who cares about car shows/paint/period correct, its all about the driving" crowd.
    Now here's the rub, how many guys could really tell the difference between the 351ford and the 350 Chevy from behind the wheel?
    Yet these same guys, that always just chomping at the bit to tell us how car shows are for wankers, and only a total idiot cares if a car is painted, nicely finished, or period-correct, seem to be SO CONCERNED with impressing the lowest common denominator at the drive-in? That always just baffles the hell outta me.:confused::D

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've owned a '53 F-100 with a 327 and a '56 F-100 with a 351W. I liked them both, so I'm not much help.

LOU WELLS and falcongeorge like this.
  15. It's baffling because you're trying to understand the irrational. There can be no sense made of such behavior or irrational opinions - and that's why it's called irrational. Dealing with Irrational behavior and trying to understand it will it get a pragmatist an express ticket to the loony bin after he sets his hair on fire.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Beauty...:D

17. Well, you'll get a load of guys saying do it and a load saying don't do it, so you'll still be undecided when it's over. Follow your heart.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Buy a Chevy .p.u and put the Ford in it. Then you can piss off both crowds.

LOU WELLS, Hankster32, rpm56 and 11 others like this.
  19. belair

belair

Kind of like trying to help that guy with the 302 "crate motor" he can't get the timing figured out.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. I put an FE in a Chevy P.U. once. Don't know if anyone but me got pissed off.

21. Exactly
    image.png

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Buddy of mine had a 383 Chevy in his early seventies 4wd f100 hunting truck. We had emissions testing back then, and they had this little visual schematic that would come up on the computer. So the first time he took it through the emission test, the guy is looking at the motor, looking at his schematic, back and forth a couple times, finally he asks the inevitable question, "why is the distributor at the back?" So my buddy says "I moved it back there, it was in the way up front". Guy shrugs, says ok and moves on to the sniffer test!:eek::p

23. The OP has not posted back, now I guess he is really on the fence.:eek::confused:

24. He's probably totally flummoxed by now.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. RmK57

RmK57

He's yankin out that Chevy as we speak!!!

michael knight likes this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

Why tear apart a finished and running truck. If you want a Ford powered truck , either build another truck , buy a Ford powered truck, or trade your Chevy powered truck for a Ford powered one.
    Replacing the Chevy engine in your truck with a Ford engine is a sideways move that will cost you a lot of time and money. To me it seems like a dumb thing to do.

kiwijeff, falcongeorge and GeezersP15 like this.
  27. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

28. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

But in all seriousness, I say leave it alone or better yet spend the money on a 6-71 or a Tri-power, or hill born and do something really fun.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

The funniest part of all this mental masturbation is that he also has the truck for sale in the classifieds.