Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3100 Spring Options.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Matt Davis, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

I'm getting ready to put in a 4 inch drop axle from SIDS, and ran across this. My Springs look like this on both sides??? What has been going on here? Do I get a whole new spring set or do I just have a couple of new top ones made? Or any other options out there I should be looking at?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like someone lowered it, with a torch.

Matt Davis likes this.
  3. 3340

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Easy fix, cut all that out. Weld in a M2 and actually enjoy your truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

6. squirrel

squirrel

It could break at any time, and cause you to lose control of the truck. That's what the lawyer said, at least.

Matt Davis likes this.
  7. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Congrats on adding one more post to your count ^^^^^^

You should get some better springs and swap them at the same time. Probably find some someone took off or don't need pretty easy. Are you updating the tie rods and links also?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

I'm getting the complete update kit from Sid. That does not include any spring work, so I will start looking for some new Springs and thanks for the information everyone.

need louvers ? likes this.
  9. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

And just let everybody know, it's not a money thing, but I just do not want a Mustang 2 front end. Thanks.

10. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

FWIW, I have over 100k miles on a stock front end '49 1/2 ton, daily driver only vehicle. MII front ends are for guys who like to spend money putting 200 miles on their trucks a year sitting in their lawn chairs, mostly waiting for cheap ass trophies they don't deserve, that's just one opinion folks.

oldcars.acadia, Hombre, H380 and 4 others like this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Should be able to find a front end off someone switching to M11 easy enough, also the 3600 trucks
    used the same springs on the front.

Matt Davis likes this.
  12. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

Dropped the old axle out and the spring came right with it. Just in case anybody wondered if it was real safe to heat them up with a torch to lower back in the days. ;)

[​IMG]

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Woof, yeah swap them out. NO to the mustang setup

Matt Davis likes this.
  14. 41FordVert

41FordVert

IMG_0540.JPG Did the full Sid's 4" drop on my '53 using the old springs. Worked out great. Truck drives great. You'll be glad you went that route.

15. Joe H

Joe H

I went through Detroit Spring when I replaced my '37s springs. I wanted a softer ride, not so much lower. Mike had them spec'ed out and built for all four corners. I weighed each corner of the truck using digital race scales, unhooked the springs and axles and weighed the unsprung parts, and even made a make shift scale to measure the spring rates of the springs I was using. Fronts went from factory 475 spring rate to 260 spring rate. Rears dropped from 190 to 140. The ride is much softer, possibly to soft, as I need a little better shock in the front now that I have some miles on it. It would be worth a call if you need springs anyway. The '37s had way to heavy of spring to start with, so maybe yours is better then mine was.

Joe

Matt Davis likes this.
  16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Those were not heated. They're victims of hard use & metal fatigue ... a common finding on a huge percentage of Chev 3000 series trucks, and the GMCs as well. In Matt's case, a pair of replacement stock springs and a dropped axle will fix it. Those trucks have very little travel to start with, so "lowering springs" is a poor approach. Pulling leaves is worst of all, guaranteed broken springs.
    The older guys with no $$$ are still bolting the stock axle on top of the stock springs for a 5 1/2" drop. We also build a shock mount for an eye style lower mount so the factory pin mount shocks don't leave trails in the snow, and shorten the pitman arm to erase bump steer. On '53 - early '55 3100s, a '55 2nd - '59 pitman arm is a bolt on shorter replacement. The drawback is that you have to learn how to drive a lowered vehicle.

Matt Davis and 6inarow like this.
  17. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We have about 10 sets of factory springs, and a set of posies. We toss most of them so if you pay shipping you can have a set if you want.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Sids stuff is great. If you want IFS MII is NOT the way to go. @ELpolacko s Dakota crossmember is way more goodlier for these trucks.

Matt Davis likes this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you're looking for a set of new springs, check out St. Louis Spring.

http://www.saintlouisspring.com/

They can make springs for just about anything, and make them right in St. Louis. That's where the springs for my 59 GMC came from. Also got rear springs for my 56 BelAir 2 door, and 57 BelAir 4 door. In the process, I learned that 55, 56, and 57 Chevys all use different rear springs, with different arches, and spring rates.

Matt Davis likes this.
  20. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

I am just finishing up a '59 studebaker 1/2 ton that Sid did a 3" stretch on the axle. Very pleased with his work. I am up in Spencer and hope to see your truck on the road next summer. I would think the leafs will be relatively easy thing to find. Lets see a finished photo!

Matt Davis likes this.
  21. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

You'll be very happy with that axle, and it will ride/handle nice. I've been running one for a few years and have put alot on miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Matt Davis likes this.
  22. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

What is your wheel size and tire specs? Liking your setup. ;)

23. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

I need them!! Please shoot me a pm .