Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to borrow an A/C hose connector crimping tool in Seattle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

At the point in my build where I need to plumb the A/C hoses on my 54. Don't want to spend the money on a tool I won't be using again for years probably. Wondering if anyone in the Seattle area has one I can borrow to make my hoses then get it back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. just take your hose to any NAPA store,they can crimp them for you

3. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

4. Another idea; buy the lowest priced, free shipping, Mastercool 71550 manual crimper on that auction sight, use it and if you decide that you don't want to keep it, should be able easily resell it on craigslist for $100 or more. Cheap "rent" and a better chance to end up with your hoses fitting better and clocked correctly.

Capt Chap likes this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd bet there is a professional "hose" place in your town where you get all your fuel, AC, brake hoses, and fittings, right? After you get enough of everything, just mount all the fittings in the correct positions, cut and fit all the hoses so the curves and bends naturally lay out as nice as possible (including all the clamps and mounts you want on the inner fenders, frame, firewall). Basically mock the whole deal up exactly as you want it to appear. Then mark each matching fitting and hose end with Sharpies (black on metal, silver on the hose) exactly how you want them clocked with each other. Then take everything back to the hose shop, or anyplace else like NAPA, and have them all crimped. They should fit perfectly. Your only hassle will be going thru the firewall or toe boards if you need to, unless you were smart enough to use one of those billet pass thru / bulkhead gizmos the street rodders use (you can paint them if you want, no one will know). They are pricey (the bulkhead fitting and all 8 extra fittings you'll need, but they sure make running hoses under the dash to the AC unit a lot easier. Gary

Capt Chap likes this.
  6. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks,
    That is what I was going to do. I used some generic A/C bulkhead fittings on my 41. They are cheap and effective. Going to use the same on the 54 as well.
    I had forgotten about Napa crimping hoses. Glad for the reminder.
    Was wanting to borrow a crimper so I had more control of the connections being clocked correctly. Would rather use the money for the tool to purchase the material to do the job instead.
    But as long as the guy doing the crimping lines the marks up. I am happy to let them do it for me

Last time I had them do it for some power steering hoses. They didn't charge me anything to do it.
    Hope it's still the same these days.

7. john walker

john walker

Nebar Supply in Ballard can crimp them cheap.

8. fms427

fms427

Have done 4-5 A/C installs- having the local A/C shop do the crimping after I mocked up and marked the clocking. Works great. Didn't get it free- but not too expensive. Crimping is pretty easy with a hydraulic crimper - probably tighter than a cheap manual tool,too.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Cut your hoses and line everything up then use a sharpie and make a line on the hose and fitting to align and keep everything orientated.

The take them to NAPA and let them crimp them for you. HRP

olscrounger and Capt Chap like this.
  10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks John
    I will check them out.

11. john walker

john walker

They do fuel and oil hoses and have a huge supply of every fitting, clamp and hose known to man. Nice guys too, that usually fix you up on the spot. Drop my name.

12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Will do,
    Looks like a place I might be able to get a company discount at as well.