Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 gas tank in '30 Ford Q...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hardtimesainit, Dec 15, 2016.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Someone asked the same question and I was a bit surprised by some info given, about the 'trouble' /amount of work to install. Such tanks are sold by several sources. I assumed it is/was an easy install, maybe not ?
    Anyway, I could not locate a specific thread with pictures of installation and/or problems and solutions. Maybe some who have done this mod will share pics/instruct how to !

Rivie63 likes this.
  2. Not sure what a 30 Q is, but putting a 32 tank in a Model A (I think your finger slipped and hit the Q) has been done, but it isn't that easy. You need to add 32 rear frame members to the A chassis to hold the tank. If you have the pieces and can weld, yeah, it's not too hard to do

popawolf likes this.
  3. Mr. Breeze

Mr. Breeze

I'm putting the '32 tank on my coupe, Dagle's Hotrods in Oregon has the frame extension that welds to rear crossmember; IMG_20160729_144152571.jpg

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The Model A frame basically ends at the rear spring hump. You need a set of rear frame "horns", spreader bar and of course the tank. The frame horns must be welded to the chassis. You can also cover the frame horns with covers pictured on the driver side of the above picture. As Mr. Breeze points out Dagle's has the kit to do the job. Several years ago there were several shops offering the kits, but I haven't seen one lately. Nice look.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My Yogi's/Tanks catalogue shows the parts for this installation.

6. synchro7

synchro7

I did it on my A and as stated it is kind of a pain. This is the only photo I have left of my installation. 2420.JPG

dwollam likes this.
  7. Blake 27

Blake 27

Here's one way. DSC05068.JPG DSC05747.JPG DSC05754.JPG DSC05958.JPG

Stogy, kidcampbell71, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  8. Blake 27

Blake 27

One more pic. DSC05071.JPG

Stogy, 30ARoadster, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

That doesn't look like a "pain" at all. Just looks like basic hot rodding. Hold the tank up in place with some wood blocks, and make frame rails to fit. Maybe need to slice and dice the frame horn covers a bit, but that's simple bodywork. Am I missing something? Does the tank need to be narrowed?

10. The tank does not need to be narrowed from stock size. I done this on my 29 sedan years ago. Really liked the out come.

11. I guess most people run fenders with the 32 tank, I wish I had done it when building my tudor. Anyone use the 32 tank in a tudor? without fenders?

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I like what you did to hide your coil overs and frame rail in your trunk. I was planning to make two boxes, one for each side, but after looking at yours, I think a box that goes from one side to the other might look better and still allow me trunk space.

It also gives me an idea for my fuel tank. I was thinking of using a 32 A tank on my 27 Coupe. I mocked it up the same way a 32 would be mocked up. It didn't look to bad but it didn't look very good, either. I guess I'll go with the original plan and place the fuel tank behind the seats and fab a fire wall to surround it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  13. I have not done it yet, but I will be doing that this spring on my 31 Tudor on a 32 frame. It does not clear at all with the back of the body, but with trimming and sectioning on the rear portion of the subrails (the part the connects both sides and is exposed to the outside) it will clear and to me look more like the back of a 32 with the rear section changes. Did this when my Dad and I were building our glass 29 roadster and just needed to move that section up.

46international likes this.
  14. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dave,
    No hi-jacking at all and no apology needed !
    This is why I asked the question here, because this is where the knowledge and our friends in this hobby reside, eh !
    Thanks to all you guys who submitted great pics and suggestions for doing the mod. Great stuff for all of us who don't know squat about the subject and/or the sources given for equipment. What may seem simple to some is not so easy for those who do not have welding/metal shaping skills. I can't even see/hit the proper computer keys..ha !

Flathead Dave likes this.
  15. eddie1

eddie1

I'm planning to use a 32 tank on my 28 Tudor & I will be running with fenders. IMHO the 32 tank on a fender-less rod looks like a full diaper hanging below the back of the car.

16. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Yes, but in my opinion look just as hideous as a fenderless 32 with the tank hanging out the ass in no man's land. They look nice with fenders, but not fenderless.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international and Dino64 like this.
  17. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

How safe is it to locate the fuel tank behind the rear bumper? If you are even running a bumper......

18. A Boner

A Boner

All is good until a soccer mom, with a cell phone stuck to her ear, driving a 6,000 lb. SUV ends up on you ass with like about 11 feet between your gas tank and her front bumper at 70 mph, and she is running late..........again.

Swiss50chevy likes this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did one on a 31 coupe for a buddy years ago worked like it was built by Henry himself . Like explained before frame horn covers need a small amount of trim and fit but all is worth it . Easy to do if you can build the car this is a level 2

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough choices with dreamy soccer moms and a gas tank over your lap.
    Think I prefer the rear 32 one .
    So has anyone got some pics of a 32 tank in a hiboy A tudor? Perhaps one that has had a frame Z job. Fitting a tank behind the rear seat inside the car and building a firewall can't look very pretty. Yup down under we need a firewall if the tank is anywhere inside the car.

21. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yeah, one of my 'self preservation' thoughts also !
    But, what concerns me a bit more, is 'how safe' are you with a gas tank behind the seat , inside the car (my case roadster)....WITH the battery in same location ?

22. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

23. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Nice work blake27,You to Mr Breeze, How about some specs on your build,Lucky

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I suppose I would agree with you if we were talking about those extra capacity deuce tanks on the market but I'm one of those that thinks a stock 32 tank is one of the attractive components of the breed.
    As to 32 tanks being offensive on fenderless cars; maybe what is missing is something to distract the eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

26. xwing01

xwing01

I think it looks great, and if painted, you wouldn't even notice

27. steve hackel

steve hackel

Ok, I'll see your original question and raise you one better :confused: Can a 32 style tank be mounted in a Model A Coupe with a Model A' quick change center section :eek: Since I already have the quick change to be used, I would need to know if anyone has done this or have ever even seen this in a completed car? Thanks :D

28. can someone measure the distance from the rear of the tank to the center of there axel housing ?

29. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looking good, nice work...
    not to hi jack the thread but ;
    I built my body from scraps so i let the middle set flat on the frame...
    the A body is shorter than the '32...this involves moving the tank forward a little...
    wheelbase difference is 2.5"...
    I moved the front crossmember back 1.25" and the rearend forward 1.25"...
    the 1.25" and a shorter body meant moving the tank forward even more ...
    had to trim some inside on the top rail...
    moving the tank forward makes it taller...
    had to remove the heavy rear crossrail... trimmed the lower panel...
    but well worth it not to have to open the deck to get gas and not look like a duck..
    stock 5w '32 body sat 1.5" ahead of the long reveal in the tank...
    . w fenders 1.JPG w fenders 3.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    2Blue2, Shadow Creek and Stogy like this.