Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oklahoma City Hot Rod Parts Yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Greetings,
    I recently met up with a gentleman in Oklahoma City who has quite the collection of old cars & parts around his "office" off of I-35 in South OKC. I've walked his yard a few times now and wanted to pass along some pics of what I've came across. I have been slowly trying to salvage parts, but the last 30-40 years of growth has overtaken many of the vehicles and makes many of the parts almost impossible to remove in their current state. The fella who owns the property doesn't do the internet thing (he does often go to swap meets), but has a couple more buildings full of goodies I'm slowly trying to pick through.

Anyways, I've attached some pics of the parts I pulled this week. A lot of them were off of a 1936 Chevrolet 4 door Sedan (Headlights, Glove box Door, Rocker Runners, spot light). Speedometer is off of a 35 Ford I believe. If there's anything anyone sees they could use in the parts I've picked, or on the cars in the pics, let me know. I go to his shop once a week for a few hours and hunt for treasures! I've counted about 115 cars in his lot.
    ZB

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  2. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I see a lot of saveable cars in that collection!

3. is he on the service road....I-35 ? thought he was more a restorer.....and not parts seller....

4. First picture, top of first row: that glove box door at bottom left in the picture is off of a '37 Ford Deluxe car without clock (some doors had a round cutout to mount the optional clock). This glove box door will also fit '38 and '39 Ford trucks.

Zac B likes this.

5. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about that grey thing...o_O 20161104_005224.jpg

Awesome tour pics there...as others have said. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  7. That grey thing, lol. Boy that's a car that has all but disappeared off the face of the earth...Ford must have sold about 19 million of 'em. Can't remember the last time I saw a one anywhere.
    Got some directions to this place...I'd like to stop by some time when I'm in the area.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No the grey thing beside it on that rusty ole Model A...I'm colour blind maybe its green...

stanlow69 likes this.
  9. ...hope some stuff gets recycled, especially that 39 Chev coupe.

10. be careful dealing him. he screwed my pops over on his 37 chev (title issues).

11. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

His place is located on SE 59th, about half a mile West off of I-35.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. How much for the hubcap pictured in your parts pile, and can I get a few more pics of it?

13. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

The place is called "Ron's Antique Rod Shop".
    The address is 529 SE 59th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73129

I plan on going back up there next Tuesday so I can get some better pics and info. The inside of the place is packed with hundreds of boxes of parts, pedal cars, and antiques. He also has an old Packard I believe he said FDR was riding in when an assassination attempt happened (see pic). He has sold me a few parts at respectable prices, but based on his lack of "organizational skills" and shit being everywhere I'm not surprised to hear there was a title issue with a car.
    Happy Friday!
    IMG_9968.PNG IMG_9967.PNG

14. Hmm...I have driven by this shop for years and actually just drove by there last night and happened to trip across this info just now... I suppose I should stop in whether I need anything or not... :D

stillrunners, kiwijeff and Zac B like this.
  15. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Ron isn't there very often. I usually have to make an appointment (call and leave a voicemail and he will call you back). The first time I met him I was driving by and caught him by accident as he was buying a motorized scooter for parts off some guy. He has a small office up in the SE corner of the building that he works at browsing through magazines and non-internet based sales stuff. If clutter and messes give you anxiety, I would steer clear...

stillrunners likes this.
  16. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

$20 + actual shipping. I will get more pics later on today.
    IMG_9938.JPG IMG_9939.JPG

17. deucemac

deucemac

I see nothing wrong in his filing system. It is a high tech system called "open the door and throw it in". Very very high tech.

Zac B likes this.
  18. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Here's a quick vid I just found on my phone from last week out picking. This is standing out near the middle of the back yard.

19. Wish I was closer, nice collection, from what we can see.
    I'm after a grille badge for a 29 Hudson, and I need a grille for a 28 Hudson.

20. Did a little asking around about this deal today and it sounds like it isn't
    necessarily completely legit. Ron may not own everything there, so I would be careful buying stuff from him... Information comes from some good friends that have had dealings with him and the title issue doesn't surprise me.

Zac B likes this.
  21. junkman8888

junkman8888

I'm going to "double-down" on the advice given by JK and guthriesmith. Ron Alexander has been called a lot of things but "gentleman" (as per your original post) is not one of them.

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. That's funny. I had read the comments, but didn't really pay attention well enough to realize JK was the one that mentioned the title deal. That makes another friend that had issue.

23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Except FDR's assassination attempt happened in 1933, which would have been a couple years before that Packard with resto-rod paint and tires would have been built.

Atwater Mike and Zac B like this.
  24. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Thanks for all the info fellas & I thought that FDR story might be a tall tale... I'm relatively new to the area (born and raised in Iowa, moved down to Norman in March) so it's nice to have a heads up that will hopefully help me avoid any issues before they arise with Ron. Any other spots in the OKC area you guys recommend checking out for old parts, cars, etc? I enjoy just browsing as much as buying.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 1964, I was driving big rig coast to coast, lived for a time in Edmond, OK.; 6 miles out of OKC.
    My boss took me to a small wrecking yard in Edmond, elderly gent had old Fords, mostly...There were T's, A's, and everything up to '62. (a wrecked '62 Galaxie still had the 406 in it!
    The man sold me a '56 Vic, (story was it had been running moonshine, was confiscated by the law...the wrecking yard owner picked it up for some 'token fee', to clear the police impound yard)
    I bought it for $100! It was a 312 stick, (T86 O.D. box) Black car, had been kept inside...door panels had been torn away, looking like the law was looking for pints or pistols! Otherwise, black and white interior was even nice)

I put it in the garage of my rental house in Edmond, and we left for a 2 week haul to New York, Pennsylvania, and states back toward OKC.
    When we pulled back in, I went home and slept for half a day...then went out to see what I was going to do to my new Vicky.
    It was gone. Padlock hasp was pried out of the wood jam, tire marks of a truck started just outside the garage, no sign of anything. Lady next door said a tow truck came, but thought I was driving it.
    Police said they'd 'keep an eye out'...
    I came back to California, without my Vicky. Never found it...

26. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Sad story.
    Maybe "the boys" weren't quite finished with that car. Could be they knew something was in it the police missed.
    My brother was a Federal Agent. In the course of an investigation with the DEA and NYPD they stumbled upon a body shop whose lucrative side line was building "stash boxes" into cars and SUV's.
    Long story short. Some of those cars had been previously searched with negative results, until they knew where and how to look.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have driven by that place a few times and always wanted to stop and just look around. I work at the base and get off at 3 if you need someone to go with you.

I understand the title situation and it does suck!! Oklahoma has been putting the screws to us for the last couple of years on back penalties!!!! You used to be able to sign a waiver stating you had swapped a engine or transmission and not pay any penalties but now nothing like that.
    I found a lady that is doing a few title 42's for me if anyone needs her contact info I can pass it on. She seems pretty good so far.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  28. I'd appreciate that info, whether here or via PM.

29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

30. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could surely use a glove box door and lock assembly from a 37-38 Chevy that was lurking in the pictures.

Thanks!