Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods H&J Service Station '34 3W Race Car From Temple, PA!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cactus1, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Hiya folks. I'm a geek for these old roundy round cars. This one popped up on Craigslist and tormented me for a couple of months until I finally couldn't stand it any longer!

I did some quick research before I went to look at it and found a couple old pics on the webernets. After that it was all she wrote!

I'm looking for any info anyone has. I contacted the EMMR as it is registered with them but I had as much information as they did.

The original builder was Meme Desantis and then it was later raced by a Russ Delp. The car was obviously "restored" to an extent and I was told it came out of a museum in Arkansas that had a fire a few years ago?

I've also contacted @SUHRsc on here and he seems to think he has seen in it some of his father's old movies at the local tracks.

Pics in the next post...

2. Pics from the Craigslist ad... IMG_9664.PNG

3. IMG_0626.JPG

Loaded up!
    I'll be back later. I have to go to a retirement party. Stay tuned!

4. LongT

LongT

You might try to start a Conversation with Hank37 on here. Temple is not far from him. He has been in hot rods and racing in this area for a long time. Maybe he would know something.

Bill

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Here are some more pics. It was last set up for a flathead but I have evidence that it must have ran a later modified class as well... image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Thanks Bill! I will hit him up!

6. Once I found these pictures, I knew I had to have it!

As near as I can tell, these were both taken when Russ Delp had the car.

image.jpg

image.gif

7. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Great find....

cactus1 likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

Temple PA is near Reading PA. I would guess it raced at Reading Fairgrounds. That would have been the closest track.

cactus1, mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I love it. Now you know it's required that you bring it back to Pa. for a" Homecoming visit" in May for the Jalopy Showdown @ Latimore Fairgrounds and the EMMR.:D;)

AmishMike, cactus1 and mad mikey like this.
  10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I notice there is a Latimore plaque on her. You might look up Lynn Paxton at the museum, he may be able to fill in some blanks for you . That's a nice looking piece of history.

cactus1, mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great find. Enjoy the beast.

Good luck finding about its history, its out there somewhere.

cactus1 likes this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

Try these guys.
    •••Kowalski Customs, Reading, PA•••
    They were there when that car was built and are still building cars.
    The family know about every race car in the area.

13. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I saw that car race and win many times at the Reading Fairgrounds. It was always owned by Meme DeSantis. You have the car that was driven by Russ Delp as a flathead in 1962 and as a modified in '63.
    The flathead motors were built by Mitch Zajac, one of the best in the day. I believe Mitch died of cancer in '62. The engine builder for the modified version in the photo was the Hall of Fame sprint car driver, Tommy Hinnershitz.

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

this car deserves to go back together! nice find.

cactus1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Great history lesson. This place never fails to amaze me.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How on gods green earth did you get a dirt track car before jimmy got there?!

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man I love it when cars like this surface for all to enjoy. This one brings back memories of when the oldman would take me along as a pup. The 'coupes' where the first racecars I ever encountered, and started this whole 'car' obsession.:D
    Thanks for posting!

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

What ? Santa came to your house early ? No fair !! No fair !!!

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Man there are some sweet looking welds on that car....

Nice score though. Be fun to make it run and drive again. Go for a rip or two around the yard.

cactus1 likes this.
  20. Really cool find, love the history!!

21. Thanks Al. Good stuff! Thanks to everyone else as well for the comments and leads on finding out some more history on this old coupe (what's left of it anyway!;))

I know it's not a terribly historic/significant race car but it's probably as close as I'll ever get to owning something with actual race history so I'm pretty excited to say the least!

I have a running late flathead and a "39" toploader in my parts pile so it shouldn't take too much to get it up and running again.

mike bowling, AHotRod, bowie and 2 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Be more of an issue where to park it than getting it running lol.

23. This is a screenshot of what is under the modified pic I found on the 3wides website.

image.png

24. IMG_0712.JPG

:p:p:p

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Man, what a great find. I can't believe how nice it is after all these years.

cactus1 likes this.
  26. Go to 3-wides picture vault. Ask for Russ Delp, I believe he posted on there some. Guys on there will most likely have your answers.

Sorry, guy I was thinking posted was Russ Dodge. Just ask about Russ Delp, they will help you.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  27. Thanks Robb I will give it a shot!
    I sent a message to EJ Kowalski on IG and he also recognizes the car and is going to ask around for me as well.

28. Hey @Hank37, Bill (@LongT ) thought you may be able to shed a little light here?

29. Cactus my reply would be the same as Al Consoli , I remember seeing this car run at Reading Fairgrounds when I was a kid ! You got a piece of Reading Racing history , take good care of her !

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016