Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bill Jerry & Ham Allen 1932 Roadsters 1950s Colour Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Recently I purchased some colour slides of a pair of Deuce roadsters in Maine taken during the 1950s, date unknown. I posted on Instagram and Jim @bubba67 directed me to the HOP UP annuals and I found the article in Annual No.2. After reading the article and looking over the images I have sure enough it's the same roadster. That roadster was owned by Bill Jerry and the second roadster owned by Bill's Chief Mechanic Ham Allen.

Does anyone have photos of Bill Jerry's old Roadster since the Hop Up article?

Bill Jerry Roadster
    bill-jerry-1.jpg
    bill-jerry-2.jpg
    bill-jerry-3.jpg

Ham Allen roadster
    Ham-Allen-2.jpg
    Ham-Allen.jpg

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

3. Pete

Pete

Peter Bennett is the current owner of the jerry roadster. I had the opportunity to drove the car years ago, what a time capsule!

gonzo, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. swifty

swifty

Now there's a couple of top quality and very nice East Coast roadsters. Can't beat a channelled 32 roadster and they must be very low even tho the grass is long.
    What is the set-up with the firewall in the blue car?
    Thanks for posting those Jimmy.

Jimmy B and falcongeorge like this.

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

Cool pics. I wonder how the number plate issue was done in those days. 876B and 876D. (What was 876C?)

6. Squablow

Squablow

Those are dealer plates, 876 was the dealer number, the same dealer would have had plate set A and C, D just means there were 4 sets (at least) issued to that dealer number.

Very cool pics, those cars are low! And built to a very high standard considering the time. I like channeled cars.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. Looks like a voltage regulator on the driver's side and possibly a horn relay on the other. if that is what you are referring to.

9. swifty

swifty

No I was referring to the sloping firewall where the voltage reg is mounted. Compare the firewalls on the 2 cars and they are very different. Usually cars built by mates have lots of similarities and in this case look at the identical windshields and lots of other features. On the blue car the firewall almost looks like a modified 33/34.
    BTW note the original windshield stanchions are still on the blue car. Wanted to make this show and no time to take them off and/or fill the holes left?
    Great to hear that the Jerry roadster is still around, what about the other car?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think he means the firewall itself. It could be an optical illusion, but it kind of looks like the firewall is stepped, like a 33/34 firewall?

11. Not an illusion the firewall does step out like a '33 & later firewall. I wonder if Ham used a later chassis too, the engine placement looks to be further forward than a normal '32.

Untitled-1.jpg

12. gonzo

gonzo

There is a feature on that car in Magneto Magazine, I can look for it later tonight.

lothiandon1940 and Jimmy B like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like a '32 front frame rail to me. Both cars have post '35 front suspensions, so the axles are a bit farther back than non-easterners are used to seeing. But I can also see the front motor mount right where the stock front crossmember would sit. I wonder if he used a post-'35-ish crossmember that had the motor mount humps built in?

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! True time capsules of true hot rods.

falcongeorge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

followed the jerry roadster to many a hot rod cookout after bonney eagle... i believe the bill jerry roadster is now
    at owls head auto museum, part of a MADE IN MAINE type display...
    ...cool car...

Jimmy B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Column shift woo woo...
    Those cars are rad.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

As they say in maine ...wicked pissah...

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ayuh !

19. swifty

swifty

A
    Any success with this gonzo?

20. gonzo

gonzo

Yes. It's in issue five of Mag-Neto. @flash here on the HAMB does the magazine
    He may have some out takes or higher resolution photos.

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. thequietwon

thequietwon

The firewall in that car looks alot like the one that was in my roadster, the one that caused so much drama a few years back. I'm not close to any pictues but it is unique in that the firewall was cut at the top and recontoured to fit the cowl, making it look alot like the one in this car. Really alot of the details on my roadster are really close to this one...body color, original stanchions, molded hinges, same suspension setup. Does anyone have any other pics of this car?

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

"Rolls and Pleats" may have some pix...
    "Cool Cars / Square Roll bars" [shuman bros.] has a pre race pic of Ham Allen's sugared donuts roadster [see pic].
    call walt dupont 207-582 0703 ... he has some pix, i think he might have worked for ham... also COOL CARS / SQUARE ROLLBARS ...

23. bones32blk

bones32blk
    from maine

IMG_0827.JPG Bill Jerry roadster as it looks today. 39 Merc motor, Winfield SU-1R cam, original Offy heads, original regular two carb intake, 97 carbs, period after market ignition, 39 trans Lincoln Zephyr gears, 46-52 Chris Craft runabout windshield, 40 deluxe dash, 39 banjo wheel, body frame & running gear original to car, never been stripped and green paint still evident on all areas originally painted. Both cars were of high finish, extremely fast and built in a period starting before WWII and being completed by 1951.

Stogy, HEMI32, falcongeorge and 4 others like this.
  24. gonzo

gonzo

Doesn't get any better than that!

25. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that gonzo, I've got some copies of Magneto mag and I'll dig them out and have a read.
    That pic that bones32blk posted is a ripper. It's great that the car still exists today in its original form.

26. gonzo

gonzo

No problem. The fella that owns the car today is probably the best possible caretaker you could ask for. If you weren't 1/2 way around the world I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to let you come on over and have a look at it... hell he let a couple of my hoodlum friends drive the thing!

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

those in "HARDCORE". AUSTRALIA... google OWLS HEAD TRANSPORTATION ... MADE IN MAINE DISPLAY... been there about a year now...