Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Allure of the Quick-Change Rear End.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 6, 2016.

1. I just bought an old race car with this halibrand champ rear.

image.jpeg

ls1yj, neverdun, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

9" and 8 3/4 mopars mostly. And there was a little bit of artistic license, I don't usually knock a u-joint cup off or forget to put the drain plug back in! :D I was having a little fun with it.But I DO usually end up with 90 w in my hair!:rolleyes::D

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

.....I don't know, I'm certain this will never go into a real racecar....but I gotta believe it would be a pretty cool addition to the lil roadster. Maybe one day I'll get the gumption to rebuild the center section and fab new bells, brakes and 5 on 5 1/2 axles. 60s vintage Paul Kollstedt Quickie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I have changed ratios in the lanes at Pomona in under 10 minutes. You get good when you do it enough times under pressure. ;)

5. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I have 2, the Halibrand was the start of our '32 project, the Frankland will end up in the Gasser IMG_1847.JPG Frankland Quick Change 001.jpeg

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Kinda like changing the gear in between the consi and the feature. Especially if you have developed a good set of calluses on your fingers so the gear teeth don't brand your finger tips. Those change gears can get pretty hot after a few laps.

falcongeorge, Offy 220 and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Takes like 5 mins, no reason to drain all oil, we do it before every dyno test on sprint cars and late models. I have a Franklyn going in my 34 pickup I'll have the cruise set around a 3.00 gear and the fun set prolly a 4.11 or 4.56.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

has been years since i changed gears but i remember it took a long time until the lube quit running, maby i had too much oil in rear part. franklin and franklyn are different companys, jim franklin was in ruskin fl. in mid 70's... have xtra sets of gears for halabred rear if interested, think they are 3 gear sets, came w/dragster i bought in 1975... still have it.

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

There were no Franklin or Franklyn Quick Changes
    There is a Frankland (Jim Frankland, Ruskin FL) still in business in PA
    and a Lynn (Lynn Franklin, St. Paul MN) long gone.

I have been down this road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RODIST and Paul like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Quickchanges look good under most any car, but are especially at home under Track Roadsters, being race inspired. The one in the photo is an 11 bolt Halibrand Champ, with steel 3/4 ton truck housings. I built the car for a customer, and after 2 years it was ready to take him for a ride. I had a bucket of change gears (hand me down race parts), and selected a ratio and installed them. We headed down the road, it howled something awful, we could hardly hear each other talking. My only prior experience was with V-8 units and I was plenty nervous, thinking are Champs this loud ? I installed a new set of helical cut gears, problem solved. He has approaching 25,000 mi on it, with no complaints. P1010040.JPG

rod1, RODIST, Tim_with_a_T and 2 others like this.
  11. Back in the day, when nothing was "harmful to our health", they packed the change gears with white lead to quiet them.

Offy 220 and Speedwrench like this.
  12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

When you step on the gas with that HEMI, the torque will transfer to that rear end and the rear end WILL twist and your rear wishbones/trailing arms will bow and eventually crack....because you have eliminated the "torque tube" and have not added upper axle housing ladder bars to prevent this from happening. Just some advice. My .02

RODIST likes this.
  13. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Its not there to look cool, it makes changing gears on the salt much easier !

Attached Files:

neverdun and falcongeorge like this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Only reason I want one....

15. The Haliband Champ I will be running under my A stockcar.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    wheeldog57 and cactus1 like this.
  16. magnesium Jones hanging in the back of my coupe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Is the wide 5 pattern on the Champ rears the same spread as early Ford? 10-1/2" or whatever it is?

18. Yes, just about the only "Stock" thing on a modern Stockcar.

History of Wide Five Racing Hubs-

Stock Ford 3/4 Ton Iron
    [​IMG]

Late 50's Early 60's Michigan Safety Racing Hub. This is what I am running.
    [​IMG]

Early 60's Alum
    [​IMG]

Early 70's Frankland Disc Brake
    [​IMG]
    Modern Racing Wide 5
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    cactus1 likes this.
  19. Looks like it has open backing plates.

20. Thanks for the lesson!

Yes it does have skeleton (?) brakes.

21. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

22. It is not too evident in the original photo, but this one illustrates the P&J Ladder Bars which control axel wrap up very effectively.

Body & Frame # 3 008.jpg

23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

To add to what Robert J. Palmer said:
    Most of the stock car hubs use 5/8" lugs. But Moroso makes a 1/2" lug with the large knurl so you can use real Ford passenger car wheels.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This Champion stuff evolved originally from the Ford 3/4 or one ton truck rear, both for the bigger R&P and for the full float axles...the aluminum stuff, especially hubs and drums, was a natural move away from the tremendous unsprung weight of the iron truck parts. Also, those trucks were never tremendously common, and TWO dead trucks were needed to assemble a QC rear from Ford parts.
    An alternative of years back was a fairly simple conversion allowing use of the full float axles and hubs on a passenger rear. Some of the hardware from that allowed use of the big hubs on Ford FRONT ends, making the circlatrack use of the wheels as bumpers substantially safer...

RODIST likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is the critter, we call it a "split in the middle". P1010155.JPG P1010156.JPG

RODIST and cactus1 like this.
  26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Marty
    That thing looks pretty bulletproof. What gear ratios did they come stock with? How much wider than a stock banjo were they?

Gary

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, the two ratios for Champ rears are 4.11 & 4.86. I would bet the Timken pictured would be 4.86.

28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm seeing that Winters is also offering a 4:57 R&P option. Not sure where that came from. I'm thinking that 4:86 is that preferred ratio today.

I'm a little out of touch on my sprint car technology, but when I was active everyone used 4:11.

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

30. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Better music than a radio! IMG_0094.jpg IMG_0110.jpg

wheeldog57, hfh, Ric Dean and 5 others like this.