Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Reflections

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 6, 2016.

1. You can see the old pickup reflection in the late Deuce Roadsters coupe. HRP

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there used to be a bank (later it was a bike shop) in town with about 30 feet of "chrome" tinted windows right at the sidewalk, it was right I on the cruising strip before cruising was declared illegal. I bet I looked at my cool self in that window 100 times over the years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Anyone have shots of their hot rods reflected in the side of a polished semi tanker?
    Odd, I couldn't find much on the W.W.W.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i don't

sample shots of WHAT they look like

Attached Files:

• ref1.jpg
      ref1.jpg
      File size:
      139 KB
      Views:
    • ref.JPG
      ref.JPG
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, but I HAVE deliberately driven through underground parking lots...:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Here's another interesting reflection. HRP

[​IMG]

alanp561, grumpy32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-12-10_4-56-45.png
    photo from society of architecture historians
    Hello,

In Long Beach, down L.B. Blvd, there was a famous furniture store called Frank Bros. Inside were the coolest designed furniture that, today, would fit in any style of home. Some Scandanavian, some retro modern, and Mid-Century Modern. But, the best thing was the almost block long glass wall showcasing the furniture. It was a long mirror for admiring your moving car. If the curb side was empty, you could drive closer to get the best views. (The building burned down in the LB riots and is currently, a Rite Aid) This building was on the main street from downtown Long Beach to the Bixby Knolls area where our favorite hangout, Grissinger’s Drive In, was located.

Just across the street, there was an old Standard Brands Paint store also with large windows for viewing your car. This place was unusual as the windows slanted and you got a different view of your car. But, sometimes, the store would put on these huge “paint sale” signs on the windows, ruining your views. Finally, right next door was our favorite place to get our 60’s buzz cuts. It was a corner barber shop with all glass walls. When we were getting our buzz cuts and our cars were out in front, our friends would drive by and wave. From the outside, the reflection was cool, because someone (at least the well-known barber) was always inside looking out. (Osbourne's) He was well known in Long Beach for giving the shortest buzz cuts that looked like a shaved head without using a straight edge razor. It was originally opened in 1901 by his dad. We were the last graduating high school class to get these cool buzz cuts as the Mr. Osbourne died in late 1962.

Also, in Long Beach on PCH Highway 1 across from the LBCC Annex Campus, the most popular one was at Carl’s Furniture store. It was Long Beach’s oldest and largest furniture store. One of our friend’s dad owned it. It closed in 1996. (now a CVS) This huge store had a block long set of oversized windows showcasing the furniture and your moving car. Since this road is the busiest in all of So Cal and if you were driving down PCH from the South Bay to Seal Beach back then, you passed by this store admiring the views of your car it provided.

They are both long gone, but those views of your moving car in the windows were priceless, especially if you just got some Buick Skylark wire wheels on your black, 1958 Impala. During the holiday season, these large glass windows were lit up with lights and that made the reflections more festive and something like a Hollywood production.

Jnaki

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    alanp561 and falcongeorge like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

part 2 upload_2016-12-11_3-43-41.png (a rand photo…
    “…Designed by mid-century architect Edward Killingsworth, the restaurant’s exposed post and beam structure and massive windows helped make it a classic for more than half a century.”)
    Hello,

A couple of Christmas seasons during high school, my friend’s family had a tree lot on the corner of San Antonio and Long Beach Blvd. It was right near two hot car/restaurants. The one on the adjoining lot to the Christmas tree lot was Hof’s Hut, Bixby Knolls. The other is right down the street, Grissinger’s Drive In. We all know what the thing is with drive in restaurants and cruising cars. This Hof’s Hut (now an office building) had a drive out only driveway that went right by the best booth in the restaurant. It was the most cruised driveway in this area, besides the drive-in parking lot. The reflection of the cars in the restaurant windows was up close and personal. What a sight for everyday cruising in your car.

We were the only ones working the Christmas tree lot and one of the workers took the 1951 Chevy pickup home. So, all we had was the lowered, 57 Chevy Bel Air. Around 8 pm on a Saturday night, this older lady came in to buy a tree. She bought an 8 ft. tall white flocked tree. She wanted it delivered to her house. We both said fine and I started to flock the whole tree. When the tree was ready, she told us the address, which was at her beach house on the Belmont Shore Peninsula, about 11 miles away. We told her that the lot closed at 10:30 pm and that we could deliver it then. She said it was fine and gave us an extra tip to drive it to her house. Wrapping up the flocked tree with plastic and securing it to the top of the lowered 57 Chevy was an exercise in planning. It was a good thing that the Chevy was white…a white sleigh with a white tree on top…a sight for sure.

When we were ready, we decided to drive through the adjoining Hof’s Hut driveway and see if we knew anyone sitting in the prime booth inside the huge window. Low and behold, there was a booth full of our friends (girls) having a late evening hamburger/coke/fries meal. They were all decked out in Christmas attire. When they saw the 57 Chevy, they knew it was us. When they saw the white flocked tree on top, they all stood up and started to laugh/point at us. What a scene… it should have been a movie clip for history…

Jnaki

Yes, we delivered the white tree to the lady’s house and set it up in her living room. She thought the white tree on top of the white 57 Chevy Bel Air was fitting. A little LB history…the house was one of the only few that was still standing on the empty portion of the Peninsula/Alamitos Beach. It was one of the few houses that survived the documented 1939 hurricane that hit Long Beach. We always wondered why there were only a few homes from the famous Alamitos Bay handball courts to 55th street. Now we know. Back then, it was just a strange sight to only see a few homes on this stretch of beach. We were not historic information junkies back then, like in today’s internet driven world.

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Buddy told me of a guy in his M/C club ran into the back of a car while "posing" going by a big display window. He's known as the " poser" now.

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the town of Fairfax Ok there are several old buildings with large glass windows . I enjoy watching myself ride through town on the 45 .

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, that's just stunning. From a time when we still believed in architecture as art.

jnaki likes this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There was a store in Concord, CA that was faced with polished black marble slabs. There was a seam at just the right height so that when I drove by it made my cars look like they were chopped 3-4 inches. I liked the way my '38 coupe looked and my '40 & '49 Chevy pickups. My dad's '56F100 looked great. The '51 woody looked weird. My friends '29 pickup had too much of a rake and looked crooked. It could have used a 10" chop. I think it was Satler's Furniture store. I think the building is still there. I'll check it out next time I'm there. Get some pictures.

13. ...tailgates work too...
    sycamore thresh, sam\'s 8-14-14 071.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-12-31_3-55-12.png
    Hello,

In searching through my files, I came across this reflection of my brother backing up his new 58 black Chevy Impala down the narrow driveway at our house in Long Beach. The shiny black paint (thanks to me, in the beginning, if I wanted to ride in the Impala, I had to wax it…using Cadillac Blue Coral wax.) always reflected anything all of the time. The reflections showed up whether it was dusty or clean. It was my job to keep it clean when my brother owned it (see above) and continued when it was my own car. This narrow driveway made us drive very slowly and in all of the years of owning the car, never hit either the concrete brick wall on the other side or the stucco house on the driver’s side. Ran over my mom's Dichondra Grass a million times, but never scratched the car in the narrow opening.

In keeping this car clean, we had to put it in the left side of our two car garage. My dad kept his huge Buick on the right side and we kept the Impala on the left. Getting in and out (without moving the Buick) with just the Impala was an exercise in expert driving.(no power steering)

Jnaki

Attached Files:

alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  15. j3harleys

j3harleys

The opposite of a reflection. 20170323_172528.jpg

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

66f5bc02807e886c457ba591d6507502.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

grumpy32 likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RS_20160904_191935smlr.jpg

From a Cruise Night...

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RS_20160904_192226smlr.jpg

Reflections of I want one in my driveway...

From a Cruise Night

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RS_20161110_164720smlr.jpg

I like the reflection in glass...sometimes the branches match whats behind when they are in fact from behind the shooter...​

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RS_20160904_191944smlr.jpg

Stunning Design from the past
    what is there to say
    Rocket Man..
    the reflection...
    breathtaking.

From a Cruise

alanp561 and grumpy32 like this.
  21. I was stopped at the traffic lights in front of a BMW dealer, and they had some cars in the window. When I looked over I could see my reflection was lined up with the car behind the window, so it looked like I was in the driver's seat of a new BMW. That made me feel uneasy for the rest of the day, and I hope nobody else saw this....
    When I drive through a tunnel, the young'un's know to wind down the widows, stick their fingers in their ears, cos "Dad's gonna make his car fart!"

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

d90766636d38486c10dd7b9b89338ac3--monochrom-strips.jpg

Timeless Shot...

Credit to Photographer., Owner

alanp561 and grumpy32 like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

grumpy32 likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P_20160622_180037.jpg

A Nation Symbol in Reflection

Its always cool when things happen randomly and unplanned...

Why is the Maple Leaf the national symbol of Canada?
    According to many historians, the maple leaf began to serve as a Canadian symbol as early as 1700. In 1834, the first St. Jean Baptiste Society in North America made the maple leaf its emblem. In 1848, the Toronto literary annual The Maple Leaf referred to it as the chosen emblem of Canada.

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1147-boogaloo.jpg

Beautiful blue from Down Under...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

grumpy32 likes this.
  28. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

This is from a long time ago, with a little reflection...
    Glenn
    hotrods_0011 (2).jpg

alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  29. LBCD

LBCD

Old town Bellflower CA. Time capsule 10 minutes up the road from me [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jnaki likes this.