Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. chiro

chiro

Go, dog, go. Yeah. I love a kid with drive.

Andy

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  2. Thank ya!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. [​IMG] cut the old roof off of the ds quarter panel and started planning out putting the new roof on I think I'm gonna chop it at this stage

4. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Awesome start! Subscribed!

5. swifty straights

swifty straights

Looking great! Can't wait to see more progress! It's good to see a father and son working together on projects!

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  6. Thank you very much!

7. Thank you and yes I am very fortunate!!! We also built my 55 chevy 3100 together [​IMG]

8. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] got the "New" Cowl lower hinge fixed, it was ripped and tore, I cut the sheet metal out, straightened both pieces then fit the door and re welded them

9. [​IMG] dug out the Cowl that came with my coupe body and took the Tank Filler off for my car and sold this one for 75$

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Coupe project looks good, what is the story with the '29 next to it with a slanted posts? Bob

11. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Cool build!

12. Thank you that's my dads custom creation we picked up a "weird" model A cowl and doors it's a 28-29 cowl with 30-31 beltline ended up finding out it's a 1929 Ford Steelback 4dr sedan which were making a roadster pickup out of got the Coupe roof for my build and he wanted the windshield posts for his I finally convinced him to slant them back and that's what it looks like now [​IMG]

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the '29 Roadster Pickup /Steelback project, got to get back to mine. Bob

volvobrynk and DylanHill1931 like this.
  14. Don't know if you're on Instagram or not but that's the only place my dad posts pics of it, I may have gotten him hooked on it haha, if you want more pics his ig name is 1930sedan

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a very cool project you have there. I really like unusual stuff like this. Keep at it!

16. Thank you very much!!

17. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] So I was not happy with the shape of the door I stretched so I started from scratch and cut it apart and came up with this idea to get the curve I wanted, I cut all the welds loose and took the top of a sedan door and clamped it to the inside of the door and am now in the process of welding it up repositioning the door top as I go, and now it's where I want it! And no I didn't cut a door up to do this haha I had it laying around in the shop!

18. Stretching crowned panels is tricky.
    Every time I try it, they always wind up with too much crown. :mad:
    So after screwing around for way too long I just make a longer panel

First sketch is the established crown, usually you want to keep the height close but go from further points.

Second sketch :
    What happens when you make the crowns plane out pretty nice, the height of the crown grows considerably. Then it planes into adjacent panels all kinds of wrong.

Third sketch
    iwhat happens when yo split the difference, grow the height just a little and you get a nasty lump and plane into adjacent panels partly right but still mostly wrong.

Fourth sketch is a new panel with the same rise along further points.
    image.jpeg

19. I got to say it took trial and error to do this I had way to much crown before at the seam, now it looks how it should I believe but will most likely have to make a brace for it so it keeps strong and doesn't beer can I have sedan lower door patches I will put on to keep the bead consistent on the bottom

loudbang likes this.
  20. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] so here is the curvature on the outside of the door not finished welding yet is why it's still clamped but I took the clamps off and curve is still there so we should be good! If these updates aren't enough progress and y'all don't care to see the steps I take then say so at anytime and I'll chill on posting EVERYTHING lol hope y'all enjoy the build so far sorry for the slow progress

21. Are you kidding?
    Post it up.

What's the new overall door length now?

Tim, brEad, bengeltiger and 2 others like this.
  22. Haha sounds good man will do and it's 33 7/8 I believe I think model A Victoria doors are 34" long which is what Henry used on his prototype Coupe

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. 33-5/8 heavy on the skin but the Vicky doors close flush into a 34" opening

DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Hell no, we like all the photos and updates keep them coming. Don't worry about sparse replies a lot of guys just look and enjoy without replying. If you need to know check the amount of VIEWS it's a more accurate check of people stopping by. You are at 2380 already which is GOOD for starting just a month or so ago.

25. Great project - keep all the pics and updates coming! I live in Willyburg so I may just stop by sometime to see your progress in person ....

26. oj

oj

How about making a new panel from beltline down? If you have Ewheel you can get the crown in it and the weld seam would be at bottom of beltline. The beltline will still be a bastard but kinda unavoidable. Adding a piece vertically will be very difficult because they are being joined at different places in the crown.

27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, something you will never hear on the Hamb is, "This thread has too many pictures." :D Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Tim, brEad, LOU WELLS and 9 others like this.