Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: 49-54 Chevrolet Master Cylinder Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kool49

Kool49

fbama73 , thanks for the input . Im kinda and a stand still waiting to here back on the other questions in another thread related to this . You may wanna check it out too. 1949 Chevy Fleetline brake mods

2. Kool49

Kool49

Just about done with my dual mc upgrade , thanks to this thread it helped out alot . I pretty much used the origianl plan with slight mods . Just thought more pics would be nice. Although this isnt to technical it isnt a walk in the park either. Alot of trial and error and in and out . There isnt much room under there. It will be worth it in the end , i just have to make a couple very small tweaks then ill be happy. ill remove it it and paint it after final mock up. Thanks again for this thread , really helps a guy save some cash................ ya im going to replace my floor pans later , then ill make a nice door to gain access to the mc .

Attached Files:

3. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

Thanks for the tech. This is a huge upgrade and a great way to save some cash while doing it. Here's a quick pic of mine after powder coat. I'm a little nervous about welding cast but from what I read this should be as safe as it gets. Thanks again for a great tech.

Attached Files:

4. Dave K

Dave K

With this parts list can I just use my existing hard lines?

Looking at the image of the 1949-50 brake line configuration it would appear that I will wind up with one wheel on circuit one and three wheels on circuit two? Is that OK or would it be better to bend new lines and have one circuit for the rear and one for the front? Are the 1951-54 plumbed different than this diagram?

Attached Files:

5. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I ran all new when I did mine. I had the rear line blow before I upgraded, so I figured for another $15 why risk it.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I did mine I used some thick wall tubing with a brass bushing to slide the pedal arm into rather than use parts of the old master cylinder.

8. Harris

Harris

9. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

great little home item. This is printed off now for my archives adn next project

10. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thanks for the pictures and great idea....

11. robleticia

robleticia

Well fuck me runnin'! It figures I would find this thread after I get my floor all welded in place....DAMNIT! Cool tech, thanks!

12. Does any one know if this would also work on 47-53 pickups?

13. 73super

73super

I envision a whole lot less "online store bought conversion kits" being purchased after this article. Wow.. what a great idea! Much thanks. Will have to perform this little op' on my '49.

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

great tech! thanks!

15. varnell1980

varnell1980

Awesome thread. Just ordered the front disk brake conversion for my 54' and was wondering what I was gonna do with getting a new master cylinder. You have answered it for me. Here is another question for you, would this work for disk front and drum rear? Thanks!

pharrand likes this.
  16. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Saweeeeeet. Was just getting ready to order a rebuild kit when I saw this!!!!!!!! Thanks.

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Bumping this from WAY back, but hoping to get some info. 52 4Door Styleline, stock front drum brakes, and 89 S10 pickup rear end drum brakes. Will the OP's master cylinder choice 10-1329 be sufficient, too much or too little? All new lines are being run as well. Anyone recommend something different and why? Thanks!

18. Depends on your S10, many used the same 7/8" bore as the Chevy pickup MC listed. If so, you are golden. FWIW I used this same MC on my 54.

19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Any quick way to tell that you know of? Don't wanna pull the brakes apart if I don't have to in order to measure. I dont remember the year of the pickup it came off of to be honest.....CRS kicking in....

20. Pulling a wheel cyl is the only true way.

21. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

I did this mod a while back. posted pic above. I run a blazer/s10 rear end on my 54. works perfect. hope that's some help.

22. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i agree welding steel to cast should not work .seen somewhere else someone brazed it .sorry for digging up the dead , but im there now,so any fresh info is good .seems like a shop would make upthe brackets . $50.oo would be a FARE price .the $300.oo im seeing is robbery !!

23. Gearhd69

Gearhd69

Just to let all know I have done this on 4 cars and all worked out excellent. There is a way to weld cast to steel and if done properly and cooled properly it will hold up just fine. There is a risk but I myself have not had any problems and all the cars have been on the road for quite a few years.

24. scoop

scoop

Working on my daughters 52 and I will do this conversion.