Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Porter Vs smity's mufflers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chasey32, Dec 6, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't have anything against h-pipes per-se, I have one on my daily driver with full 3" exhaust, and it helps quiet it down a bit. My point is, it's counter-productive to getting a "period" sound.

TCATTC likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Exactly my point also George. I get that on my roadster even tough it's an SBC engine, because I have an air gap manifold with no exhaust heat crossover passage.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

4. dan31

dan31

I put Smithys on my 54 but i think i used the long ones,they are not as loud or "rappy" sounding as i had hoped for.

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

30 in. Smithy's on my 52 Chevy, split exhaust, stock 216. I thought it had a nice tone but you couldn't hear it in the car. I would have liked a little bit of tone in the car.

6. GlennDH

GlennDH
    from Texas

I put a set of Brockman Mellow Tone glasspacks on my stock 54 Olds and within 2 weeks replaced them with 30" Smithy's. The Brockmans are very well built but are LOUD. The Smithy's have the exact mellow sound I was looking for. If I were 16 instead of 70 I would have preferred the Brockmans.

Packrat likes this.
  7. Mt Mike

Mt Mike

For my 440 six pac powered 1930 Model A coupe, I built my own from 3" s.s tubing and 4" s.s. outer shell, 30" long. They are packed with s.s. wool. The entire exhaust is all s.s. 3" tubing after the Sanderson block hugger headers. I really didn't find it that difficult to make the mufflers, but I'm a welder by trade which helps. The slash cut ends of the system extend a good 10" past the bumpers and I get plenty of rumble inside of the car. I'm not having any luck downloading my photos so I have to do some homework as I'm tech challenged!

8. TCATTC

TCATTC

Those louvers won't create enough back pressure for you to notice, perforated tube cores are usually louder.

9. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I am running Brockman Mellow Tones with Echo cans on my SBC with corvette style exhaust manifolds and 2" tube all the way back.

harpo1313, -Brent-, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  10. speedshifter

speedshifter

11. speedshifter

speedshifter

I had a pair of Porters on my 324 Olds powered roadster. As you know Porters use a stretched garage door spring for a straight through core. The id of the core is 1 5/16", yet inlet & outlet is 2". Excessive back pressure might be the result. I replaced these with $22 glass packs from Speedway. They sound great. I feel using insulated hangers will reduce droning. An h pipe will reduce that lovely rumble. In 1958 my friend Craig had a 48 Ford rag top with twin pipes. We jerked off the intake & put pennies in the heat riser passages.Then we removed the mufflers, replaced them with flex pipe from the Coast to Coast store. Man it sounded cool! We were in the driveway revving it up, enjoying the results of our hi tech mods. Craigs high strung mother came running out of the house yelling " Craig, Don't you dare drive that thing that way". Craig replied " stand back mother we're blasting off". Craig backed out of the driveway, shoved it in low, tires squealing . Away we went, heading to the local drive inn to show off. Well we were a little deflated when the local fuzz followed us there and gave Craig a $10 ticket for no mufflers. It was great to be a teen ager in the 50's Greg

Butler 32 and dirty old man like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

found this old video of my corvette after getting its 14" porters

4ever18 and Blues4U like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What a bitchin car!

14. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thank you Blues4U!

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  16. Jawsmon

Jawsmon

Engine master just tested the H pipe against the Y pipe on the dyno. The Y pipe produced a significant increase in hp. The 90 deg. intersection of the H pipe produced turbulence and backpressure. Use an X pipe for dual exhaust so the itersection is 45 deg. angle. This produces the best scavaging and the least amount of backpressure.

17. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

I have 27" Smithy's on my 57 Chevy and l like the mellow sound. They are not raspy and are really deep sounding at cruise. If you get on it there is more of a rumble but not annoying. Back in the 60s l had Walker Contenentals on my 56 Ford . They were louder and rapped when you got on them. Now l prefer the mellow sound of the Smithy's. I have an H pipe on my 69 el Camino with turbo mufflers and find the pipe quiets the mufflers somewhat. I do not have the stock crossover pipe on the 57. I guess it is all a matter of taste and age as to what sound you are looking for.

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Whatever you decide on, just make sure that you can still pass state inspection.

19. TCATTC

TCATTC

And also the most Euro, un-traditional sound

fourspd2quad likes this.
  20. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I have used Smithy's on flatheads,Y-block and SBC and liked the sound in all 3,I did however put Porter's on a recent build SBC and was disappointed, sounds like aV-6.

21. 6sally6

6sally6

What's worng with straight pipes all the way to the rear bumper? Low back pressure and the sound won't be bouncing up off the pavement. That lil mini SBF won't make a lot of racket anyway so it shouldn't be noisy at all!
    6sally6

22. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I'm running thrush glass packs behind my long tube headers.
    Its noisy and drones a lot. Looking for quieter ones.

23. TCATTC

TCATTC

Sounding good and noise are two different things...

dirty old man likes this.
  24. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Try moving your glass packs as far to the rear of the car as possible

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

This seals it, my 327 is getting Porter's behind it!

WC145 and Moriarity like this.
  26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I tried them all. The ones I liked best they don't make anymore.. The one's that came in a heavy gauge steel can are not made anymore except for the Porter.. The Porters I bought were very well made but the needed the spring opened up more. I may be wrong but when the spring isn't open the sound couldn't get to the steel packing.. Also the ones with glass packing seem to sound better.

The photo is an old Douglass Super Sport muffler. I had two sets of these and they sounded great.

Attached Files:

27. Mufflers are basically frequency filters. The glass cuts down high frequencies but is basically transparent to low frequencies, so you hear a low rumble (assuming the engine produces it to begin with). The steel wool doesn't do much of anything compared to what the glass does, so the exhaust will have more high frequency content and sound harsher. The best set up is to use a thin layer of stainless steel wool over the perf tube or spring or whatever, and pack the rest with glass. Then the stainless is only there to keep the glass from getting blown out.

Blues4U likes this.
  28. 52lomofo

52lomofo

You still got the merc?

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Or you just posting video

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Speed Gems likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like reading your comments on exhaust/muffler topics, backed up with experience. Thanks.

Elcohaulic likes this.