Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gene Winfield Is My Boss...Here's Some Fun Factoids...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Winfield Rod&Custom, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Absolutely clean living and 1 other important factor, his genetics, and his maker.
    He does the "World of Wheels" up here too. He is pals with a local custom body guy, and Gene painted his 59 Chevy up here a few years ago.
    This guy could paint under a tarp and it would be great. He went to a Dodge dealership and used there state of the art down draft paint booth, but Ole Mr W, could paint something well in yours or my garage only with a 3m half mask and compressor and his favorite type gun, heck he could probably paint well with a HF elcheapo gun....

chryslerfan55 and clunker like this.
  2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I take pictures of events for HotRodHotLine.com, when ever I see Gene I take a picture of him or his booth. I have talked to him a few times and he is always willing to talk, he is a personable guy. The reasons I grab a shot of him is that he truly amazes me in his youthful appearance and his always active
    presence. Now that I know his secret for this I guess I will give up the beer, coffee, and spicy foods...Well I could try I guess.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The last week or so from Gene's shop on Instagram. IMG_4566.PNG

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I recently showed a pic of him to my 82 YO Mother, she said he looks real good for his age.....LOL
    She is amazed at his work abilities at this stage of life, sorta, as she knows the odd senior who is in real good shape too..

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Gene painted this car in my Hometown Winnipeg Canada,

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. This is a photo of Gene teaching me the finer aspects of leading . The man loves to dance and check out the local gals when he's in Austin . What a great guy . Boy he knows some good dirty jokes .Blue
    DSC00540.JPG

7. Picture taken in 1958. Gene shaved the hood and trunk and repainted it in 1956 as I hated it's factory color. This was perhaps his first paid Merc body work although he did own a '51 2dr at the time. Mercs had not yet gained their 'lead sled' popularity. Gene had a shop in Modesto in back of MJC. Sorry to say I can't remember much about him except he didn't waste time or make excuses like other shops. FYI I've repurchased a similar car in the original color (Avitar). Wonder if Gene would shave & repaint it?
    1958Mercury1950.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  8. Wow, working for the great Gene Winfield,how good is that!? I can't help but wonder how that man does what he does and still manages to sleep at night.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  9. I have meet Gene three times and I would love to attend one of his classes does anybody know where to find a class list and locations for 2017? He is a great gut we talked metal shaping for about a half hour at last years Syracuse Nationals. I am looking forward to seeing him again this year! Hobo Jim

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I don't know if you realize how talented Gene is, here is a video on YouTube that show another facet of his talents. Gene is credited with the design and production of over 200 of these. I am sure others played a big part in the production also. One sold on Ebay in Feb. for over 15 grand.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'd try his website or call the shop?

~in regards to future classes~

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Met Gene at the Nats here a few years ago.
    Chatted some time with him at his booth. I was there long enough that he asked me if I would watch it for him while he ran an errand.

He sure gets around. I think he covers just about every car event round the globe! :)

13. I heard once that he arrived at his surprise birthday party and ate the whole cake before anyone could tell them there was a stripper in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stogy and Zerk like this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

X2 NO COFFEE ???? but seriously I liked Gene before but like him even more now. Thanks for posting this.

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Gene is the GREATEST

Stogy likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

His Instagram just posted that he will be doing a metal working class dec 17 if who ever was wondering hadn't seen that

17. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Had the honor of meeting gene a few times at the Atlantic nationals in moncton

Stogy likes this.
  18. Thank you Tim I am on the wrong coast hopefully he will be doing one in the NY area. Hobo Jim

19. Talked to Gene a few times at KKOA in Salina and at Bonneville speed week. He even pitted next to us one year at speed week so we got to talk a bit more that year. Great guy and better person....

20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I'm guessing the person working for Gene when this thread was started is no longer there. I've tried sending E-mail messages to the address Gene gave me for his shop, but got no response.

21. IronTrap

IronTrap

John that handles the office-stuff for Gene isn't great with email. Call and leave a voicemail at the shop and someone is more likely to get back to you. A couple of the younger guys that run Gene's instagram may be able to get you an answer more quickly (if it's something needing immediate attention) if you send a DM there.

22. Had the pleasure of meeting Gene at Hershey last year! A real gentleman.
    DSCF5815 Gene.JPG

23. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I don't do Instagram or Twitter. When Gene and I were talking when he was visiting here, he mentioned about the time he spun out at Bonneville in 2011. I told him I saw that and had a series of photos. He gave me the E-mail address I mentioned, and his cell phone number, but I never got a response that the photos I sent were received.

Maybe by posting them here, he will get to see them.

GeneW-1.jpg GeneW-2.jpg GeneW-3.jpg GeneW-4.jpg GeneW-5.jpg

24. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I wonder if Gene ever got to see the photos I posted.

25. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

My buddy sold Gene a $10 part at Turlock Swap Meet several years ago, he paid with a $20 dollar bill that he autographed for him....still pinned on the wall in his shop.

26. verde742

verde742

He is kind of a strange guy... He once told me he stays youthfull by eating cats. ;):D

pretty sure he meant to say pussy.....

27. raymay

raymay

I have met Gene a few times over the years and was always impressed with his ability and willingness to discuss his builds and take an interest in what I was building. In 2016 he was in Rochester and came to one of our local Cruise Nights. He took the time to talk with several of us and I was honored when he checked out my 56 ElCamino build and signed the dash. Gene is certainly one inspiring individual proving that age is just a number.

IMG_6877.JPG DSC00038.JPG

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

At TROG this past June. So many people swarming him, wanting to meet and talk with him. He made time for everyone. Great guy 6301.jpeg

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Last year at LARS! June 16th2017 was his 90th birthday and my 70th. Why does he look better.:confused:

And with my wife!:eek: IMG_0888.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.