Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH WEEK Jag XJ6 IFS into F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy13

johnboy13

2. Orn

Orn

3. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

That helped with the bag question, but now I need to know on the other two. I have three XJ6 front suspensions lined up, so I need to know before I commit to making an offer on them.

4. 1. The link has info, yes it can be converted to air ride.
    2. The Jag crossmember will require a rear sump, or maybe a middle sump if you mount the engine back far enough. Definitely will not work with a front sump. Not sure what options for the 300 engine, but should be at least mid sump if not rear sump from some application like a van or Bronco?
    3. The Jag can mount in almost any frame, just depends how low you want to be and how much notching/fitting in you will require for your application.

I put Jag front and rear in my 53 GMC project. Easy swap since the whole front susp is self-contained. I hard mounted mine, welded straight to the frame. no stock rubber bushings.

5. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Hey Matt it is a great Tec thread on the jag install. I am in the process of installing 86 Jag into F1 Truck but soft mounting. I read threw your Thread and didn't see if you went with power steering.My question is if you know the pressure of the Jag pump? Or can you replace with the ford pump?I'am not sure if I am even going to go with the power steering yet trying to gather my options. thanks

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

One of the things that I suggest when people are getting the Jag suspension is to get the pump and the hoses along with the suspension. The pump is a standard GM pump but the hoses from it to the rack are important as the are Jag specific. I would think mounting the pump to a Ford wouldn't be any harder than mounting it to a Nailhead, which wasn't to hard.

As for running it manual, there are manual racks out there, but are pretty hard to get ahold of, I ran mine with just a line looped for a while and it wasn't bad at all, still much better than the manual Buick steering was.

7. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Thanks Zman for the quick reply. Mounting wasn't issue it was will the ford pump work with the right pressure. I liked your tec thread, very informitive
    i will go with the loop like you said instead of the pump to begin with.thanks again

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I used a piece of brake line and a couple fittings for the loop, worked fine.
    And I had the pressure for the GM pump somewhere and can't find it at the moment, but I'm betting it easier to find the pressure for the GM pump than for the Jag pump. I'll see if I can dig it up this afternoon, just got a lot of work to get done in the meantime. Do we already know the pressure of the Ford pump?

9. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

I am working on getting the pressure on the ford. Thanks Man

10. This is an awesome tech thread! I'm seriously considering putting a jag ifs under my '53 chevy. I'm so over the hopeless kingpins ):I might even though one under my panel truck. I really like the ride height you got on your truck!
    Thanks

Klaus

11. tjm73

tjm73

Great thread. I read the version on Slick60's forum and this one at least three times each. In either version you don't mention the total drop this gave you. How much lower versus stock did this put you? Estimating from the pictures I'd put it at around a 5-6" drop.

12. Mattilac

Mattilac

Yep that guess is about right. I also brought the rear down some (flipped leafs) to match.

13. Terraizer

Terraizer

Great Thread, i just picked up a 1980 XJ6 front clip for my 1955 R100 International pickup plan to get started in the next few months on the install.

14. please let us have the whole build in a nice thread, when you're ready to start. Maybe that's the thing to do for our 1950 IH L-121!

15. oberg

oberg

I am just N of you in Boulder and just picked up both the front and rear suspensions from a 1978 XJ12 to go into my 1950 International L-110 :D Rear is 3.31 with posi, so I am stoked! Just what I was hoping to find, and I was able to pick up the pair for $250+gas to Colorado Springs (and an evening loading and unloading those heavy sons 'o bitches).

Now to plan the rebuilds and get working on the mountin' :D

16. Nicely done! Although I like my "staight" axles you've done a great job and laid it all out for others to follow.

17. efd187

efd187

Hello, your post is very helpful thank you, what was the reason you choose not use the crown vic front end.

Thank you Scott

18. Erik B

Erik B

Great tech article. I ,too, like Jag suspensions but I sold my truck and will be selling my XJ-S rear suspension set-up.

19. Mattilac

Mattilac

Track width is to wide to look right in these old trucks.

Rellim51 likes this.
  20. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Hey Matt,
    Did you measure your cradle angle with the rake you have? Just curious since you said you barely had enough caster. My two F1s I put the cradles in level at ride rake, but my current 41 caddy build the cradle wants to be angled 4 degrees down to the rear at ride rake because of the frame rail shape. This would add extra caster which may be a good thing, but did you get an angle measurement on yours?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  21. Fifty8chev

Fifty8chev

Does anyone on here know if a 1990 xj6 will work on a 1958 chevy pickup for this swap? I have a good opportunity at a 1990 xj6 and a 2001 s-type. I am not sure if either will work. the track width is the same, but that is all I know.

22. Fifty8chev

Fifty8chev

Do you know if a 1990 XJ6 will work on a 1958 chevy apache for this swap?

23. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

Nice job. The extra effort to keep the subject and story advancing cleanly is appreciated. Should be a reminder to those that forgot what working on our vehicles is about.

24. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

1979 -1986 Series 3 J6 Are the best . or xj12 87-92 series were a little wider not sure what they measure would have to measure to see if it would work. I put a 86 in my f1 and it fits like it was made for it. Hope this helps.

25. 73RR

73RR

The early '87 is still Series III, look for the quad headlamps.
    NO, the 1990 is not easily swapped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.