Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Crank beazel is that's what it's called these days. Is he gonna stay up for a few days working on grill bars???:rolleyes::D

Tim likes this.
  2. YUP!!! I will until I get it done....

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Mayor I haven't gotten to your bezel yet. Was gone most of a week for the Turkey and when I got back and my syrup tank's floor had sagged out. I went to repair it and tore the liner. Big mess started to ensue, had to scoop out all the precious rust eater, into every container I could muster. I fixed and reinforced the shanty-esc tub, replaced the tarping, and loaded her back up. The roof, doors, and quarters looked real good and were finished along with other bits. Sadly I wasn't set up to power wash and prep that stuff at the time and it all flash rusted bad. So now it's back in for a little longer. I have to take down my hood sides of the garage wall and some other bits. They need to be put in when I get the bulk of what's in there now out.
    Worst of all I need to clean the garage to make room for all the parts when they're done. It's not like I can just snap it all back together on the frame. This is a far cry from the plastic 1:24th glue jobs of my childhood.
    Next up take that damn grill apart for my buddy from Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and bengeltiger like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hope I can post a cool pic with a similar view as this HAMB'rs avatar soon
    [​IMG]

bengeltiger and Tim like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh man I can just imagine how that felt. Like holes poping threw the damn and a guys only got so many fingers! Gah! Shit! Hope she doesn't see what's happening right now. Lol awe man

Geesh
    Guess the plus side is you know it's working lol

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sorry to hear about your molasses mishap! Musta been like trying to stuff the goo back into a saggy diaper. Bad juju. All my stuff flashrusted anyway. Best to wash it then sponge some Gibbs or something on it I guess.

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I have the POR-15 zinc prep stuff you spray on to stop the flash.

8. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

At least its to cold for the bee's, that could of been a lot of fun.

bengeltiger likes this.
  9. Glad you got to the bottom of this problem...Ha, Ha
    I know you will get around to sending the part and I am glad you got the tank fixed

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Since ^ someone ^ pressured me into chopping it so low I had to take safety into account.
    [​IMG]
    Nice and used. I'll make my own adjustable mounting solution. You know the Phillips heads make me want to vomit, "good by turkey my attorney will be in touch"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    dumprat, bengeltiger and Jeff34 like this.
  11. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Nice, had the same thought regarding the screws when I saw the pic. Not up to your high vintage standard.

Runnin shine likes this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Could be worse. Everything in Canada comes with F'ing Robertson screws.

13. Guess I am living in the land of darkness here in Nebraska...WTF is Robertson screws?

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Female Square head

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Horrible design for a screw head. I once repaired a wooden boat built with brass Robertson screws. Out of the thousand or so I took out about five didn't strip, they were the ones into rotten wood.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  16. Strange,
    It's dark here in New York also!
    Never heard of Robertson screws!
    If they are female they should be
    Mrs Robinson screws for the old timers!

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  17. Well it's super dark here in California so that means west middle and east America has no clue about them screws. We have machine screws or sheet metal screws, then there's drywall screws. Then there's always the kind when you get screwed...

volvobrynk and Tony Martino like this.
  18. Are they a Canadian thing A...

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I cheated and used Google ;):rolleyes::confused::oops:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Google!
    My first experience with these was being disappointed as a young boy that my dad didn't own a screwdriver that fit them. They were allover the trailer trash residence we resided in when I was a child. I use to want to take everything apart to see how it worked, including our home. Once we finally moved back into a real house made of wood and nails this became more difficult. I moved on to taking apart cars. Look where that got me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    volvobrynk, Tim and Tony Martino like this.
  21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

They were used on Canadian manufactured model T and some other cars. They are stupid. Phillips are far superior.

22. Well I learned something today...

23. Think something like these were in a fairly new 5th Wheel we owned at one time. Even found a multibit screwdriver in the trailer after we bought it that had the square bit.

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Unless it's a vintage project, Robertson is my choice. My hatred for slot (flathead) screws is a passion that runs deep.

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh they suck that's for sure but when your dead set on a particular look and era... I'm not going to pass off a 40s period build with a zip tie and box store zinc plated lock nuts right where everyone can see a rolling contradiction.

26. Oh don't get me wrong, I won't be using phillips or robertson screws on either of my builds. But I will be cursing everything under the sun every time I have to turn a screw... :D

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Officially took first parts out of the Molasses today. I really don't have time to be messing with this stuff but I needed to make room in there for some more parts as the weather is getting colder fast. The roof is done but the two sections are on the bottom of the tank so I'll have to get to it next week.
    Doors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back panel piece below window.
    [​IMG]
    B-pillar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were pretty bad on the inside. You can see there is still rust inside the layers of steel at the hinge mounts. I put the other one back in for a few more days. Maybe this one should go again too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm still happy with the results. Everything is coming out at least 90 somthin% rust free. It's mostly time over labor here. It's kinda a messy deal giving I'm doing this at home in the yard and at winter time now no less. I'm thinking I've spent around $250 on this procedure so far. When the juice gets old it turns black. I spilt a bunch with the leak mishap. There's a large portion of grass I've destroyed. I hope that after the spring rains it will all be well, but it's an ugly sight. Oh and the old stuff stinks God awful, actually the clean parts even stink pretty bad. I guess this is all more of a shop kinda kinda thing not a subdivision one

kidcampbell71, slv63 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Do you need to neutralize these after the bath? With it getting into all the books and crannies it seems if you did you'd need to almost submerge the part to get into all those spots

loudbang likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I used this stuff Tim.
    [​IMG]
    You keep it as saturated as possible for 20-30 minutes. On one hand the dry cold keeps it from flash rusting fast. The directions are kinda confusing cause you have to apply it to a dry surface, good luck with that if you don't want it to start rusting. At $30 a gallon I can't afford to submerge these parts even one at a time. I just waited till most of the water ran off than started spraying vigorously. Will see if it worked or not.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Tim likes this.
  30. My thoughts are the parts look dam good for doing it at home.