Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Not only street-legal, but an outstanding example of a street-strip roadster. Dean drove it to Pasadena and I got a chance to sit in it at the Powerine station next to Bobs. It even had leather straps on the doors to keep them from hitting the front fenders. And it was a Hot Rod Magazine cover car, while winning national drag meets.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Jim%20Seaton%202.jpg
    Tony Nancy's old roadster, now fitted with a blown Olds and run by Jim Seaton. This is at San Luis Obispo, mid-50s

Ramona 2.jpg
    Two B/D at Ramona, near San Diego

scoville.jpg
    Koper & Scoville, from California, at the NHRA Nationals, '58, where they won the A/R class. The blown Chrysler that powered it later went into Tommy Ivo's single Buick car to set the gas dragster record at around 159mph.

SH100689.JPG
    Early '50s, Paradise Mesa, near San Diego...before drag slicks, some racers tried dual wheels for more traction. Roll bars were optional back then.

So-Cal%20roadster%2032\'-2.jpg
    Morris Brothers So-Cal sponsored '30 roadster at Pomona, early '50s, before they hole-sawed the frame. This car ran both lakes and drags for years, has now been restored....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    hendelec, tommyd, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Crietz and Greer. 15304113_218777831900506_1903353582530026020_o.jpg

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

11. thehazguy

thehazguy

12. loudbang

loudbang

Anybody know if this is the same "Burkhart" family that had altereds?

13. If you are referring to "Big Mike Burkarts'Doran Chev Camaro,,NO Mike was the only racer in his family...Note our sponsorship on his front fender,

14. loudbang

loudbang

Cool I never even noticed that.

tommyd likes this.
  15. 296ardun

296ardun

If you're referring to the Burkhart, Brammer & Burns fuel roadster, no, that was Big George Burkhart from California...

hendelec, tommyd, thehazguy and 2 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Unknown dragster blowing it's top. Anybody know what the tube or pipe looking thing on the left side of the engine coming from below into the intake is?

turbo pipe.JPG

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

The Scoville Bros roadster used to set in the Sepulveda Muffler shop at nite , then during the working time they would roll it outside for all to see going down the street

I remember seeing all the time just like it was yesterday

Neat stuff, DND

tommyd, thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

From old HAMB thread, Sideplatesix says:

I just noted that the dragster at the top in running a front mounted Potvin style blower, has an Enderle injector hat. How engenious. Both the Aussies and the Brits refined the R&D of 6 and 4 cylinder motors to a high degree.

tommyd, thehazguy and loudbang like this.
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

Very cool, I remember it once at Pomona-- loud!

loudbang likes this.
  20. rooman

rooman

Eddie Thomas at Riverside, Melbourne, Australia and it is not blowing its top, just making a run in the days before burnouts. As noted by DDDenny the car has a Potvin style front drive package for the blower. Prior to the installation of the late hemi seen in the photo the car ran a Mopar wedge engine with the same front driven blower. When the hemi was first installed it ran the factory dual quad set up and then subsequent to the pictured package it was top blown with a Scott injector.
    Check out Eddie's first dragster in this photo posted here (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lets-see-some-cool-old-pix.82452/) by Aushotrods back in 2005. It had a Mopar poly head motor with what was most likely an aircraft cabin blower.
    [​IMG]

Although he was not a young guy at the time that he raced dragsters Eddie is still around and involved in the business that he founded way back when. Read about it here;
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...9/news-story/6c41dd67a868f888857447391d0aa467
    Roo

21. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Steve Gibbs took a step back when he saw part of what was coming and couldn't change it for this years CHRR - but he did NOT resign and is still very much a part of the NHRA Museum and on the board of directors.
    Posting bad information doesn't help anything.

hendelec and 296ardun like this.
  22. Johnny99

Johnny99

Can we get an AMEN!

23. thehazguy

thehazguy

24. thehazguy

thehazguy

25. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Arden if Dean had caught me sitting in his roadster when I sat in it, I wouldn't be typing this now...LOL

26. 296ardun

296ardun

I just sat in the passenger seat, though I thought about what it would be like to get behind the wheel, think that Dean was bigger than me, soooo.....

27. 296ardun

296ardun

dode-scans025.jpg
    From Dode Martin's collection, Santa Ana, Art Chrisman in the 25 before it was 25, reversed the numbers..not sure who he is racing, really early '50s...

BevsSteakhouseFuller.jpg
    Bev's Steak House Fuller car, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest...

Larkin.JPG
    Tommy Larkin, not sure where this is

user99375_pic441827_1358717769.jpg
    Have no i.d. on this shot, but it reminds us that real street roadsters used to race...no rollbar, by the way

28. misigis

misigis
    from NY

Per Hot Rod.Com
    Steve Gibbs, Wally Parks’ longtime competition chief, loyal “company man” for 47 years, and cacklefesting’s cofather (along with NHRA Museum curator Greg Sharp), resigned his director’s role in protest.

loudbang likes this.
  29. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Per Cindy and Steve Gibbs:
    Attention friends of the CHRR:
    So. It's been a few weeks since the CHRR and for those who were there, you know that things were a bit off this year...to say th...e least. The rumor mill does what it does and many things have been said. This is what I know. My father is the heart and soul of that event and I've been praying that wasn't going to change.
    I just received this message from him...I was tipped off to this earlier, but here it is, in his words. Please feel free to share [​IMG]

'I have kept a pretty low profile following the CHRR, and its manifestations, as I wanted to weigh things
    out as best I could. It's no secret that I backed off from my usual role at the event, as a personal option.

I don’t pretend to know exactly where this is all headed, but I remain somewhat optimistic that some
    reasonable solutions are possible regarding Cacklefest activity.

To make it clear…I have not resigned from any of my past responsibilities. I have not been “thrown under the bus.” I am still on the NHRA Museum Board of Directors. I am doing what I can to see that this matter is addressed properly, that the negative aspects of 2016 CHRR are acknowledged, and that we can regain lost ground. There is substantial support among some "key players” within the Museum/CHRR/NHRA hierarchy.

My loyalty still lies with Wally, the museum, and the reunions…and I will not abandon that commitment as long as I can sense a willingness to face the truth of what transpired, and to make serious efforts to correct them. I have put in too much of my life and career to let this go. Hang with me for a while longer.'

Steve

30. Yeah, but even as a pre teen Mark was bigger than me! He may have been scared of me, but I didn't let him know he had no reason to be. ;)

t-rod, 296ardun, Mark Hinds and 3 others like this.