Register now to get rid of these ads!

History single yellow spot light

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by statesblue, Nov 30, 2016.

1. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Not sure I should be asking this but I don't know why and I am curious. Why one spot light on the front frame rail and does it matter which side?? I've seen both. Its a cool look for sure.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. ...you're probly referring to fog lites, only one was used on many old cars
    48 ford fog lite 003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put it on the same side the steering wheel is on, its there for a purpose.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgot the picture of mine,
    upload_2016-11-30_14-9-42.png

5. One is just, well, cool.:D;) 2013-10-22 13.06.14 (1).jpg

6. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

OK, I get it. I was thinking maybe there was some deep spiritual thing going on here. You know like in the Harley world someone gifts you a small bell to hang off your bike to ward off evil...

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. And cheaper in the back in the day .
    Since I have 2 doesn't that make mine twice as "cool"?
    IMG_0240.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    kiwijeff, loudbang, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  8. Now, THAT is a happy looking truck!

9. They also come in handy when you can turn all the rest of your lights off and just have that on to see the road when your running from the law. That's why you put them on the drivers side. Or should I say back in the day when your A model ford was souped up and the law couldn't catch ya anyway.

10. 55zephyr

55zephyr

I had my fog lamp shipped over from the USA because it is a genuine 1950s item, I think they look cool.
    Cheers, Ron.

13418644_10153584877206615_2276793127293350381_o.jpg

11. I think "protocol" requires a fog lamp on one side and a driving light on the other side, but as hot-rodders we've always thumbed our noses at "protocol".:D;) 2013-10-22 13.06.45.jpg

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm on the two light bandwagon. IMG_0936_2.JPG

13. ratrod0

ratrod0

They were called passing lights. put it on the drivers side.

i.rant likes this.
  14. I think this question gets asked every few weeks, I know it came up recently. What is funny is you will see as many cars with them mounted on the passenger rail as the drivers. On my Tudor I have the mount on the pass. side, I did this due to all the deer in the ditches here. I realized with my former daily that the right side fog was wayyy more important in lighting up the ditch that the left side light.

15. 2935ford

2935ford

I bought a set and put one on each.
    I like them as I run them as daytime running lights which is mandatory here for all new vehicles.
    boatohdem 003a.jpg

16. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Thanks for stating it's purpose.
    Saying that it's there for a reason and then not stating that reason doesn't help.

17. Daytime running light use is a great idea.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  18. I had 2 fog lights but modified them,they could be used for their intended use driving/fog lights but they also served as turn signals. HRP

[​IMG]

Jeff34, olcurmdgeon, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  19. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Generally speaking a yellow lens is a fog light, a clear lens is a driving light and a cowl or roof mount adjustable light is a spot light.

Supposedly yellow light is reflected back into the drivers eyes by fog less than white light and should be mounted as low as possible.

20. Yes. John W. has the best (most accurate) description/explanation.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  21. X2
    But he must not be running from the law.;):D

22. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Years ago I had a friend who fitted a switch in the tail/brake/license light circuit. He liked to drive fast.

23. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Now that's some big turn signals

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. I always thought the amber light was a fog light so it was on the passengers side to see the edge of the foggy road. The clear light was the passing light. It was located on the drivers side,it warned the car in front your passing plus light up the passing lane.

loudbang likes this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up in the central valley where it gets very foggy in the winter. Most all the cars in the mid 50's had two fog lights. Ours did as did my grand mothers Buick and mu Uncles Pontiac. Old mans truck had em too.

26. Squablow

Squablow

Passing lights are mounted way out on the driver's side, like in-line with the wheel, and are generally clear and very large. The idea being you could peek around the vehicle in front of you without having to pull half way out into the opposing lane. Think of how close to the center of the car the headlights are on a 20's or 30's car, the drivers side headlight is actually to the right of the driver.
    [​IMG]

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

DSC09627.JPG
    Some day this one will see 12v...

28. 41 C28

41 C28

My thoughts on one fog light is they didn't have a pair of lights or brackets.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My thoughts also.

30. I think the idea if a single fog light had to do with depression era cars, and one light was better then none. I have no proof of that obviously and my contacts that I could actually have asked are long gone, but to me it is a logical reason.

williebill and lothiandon1940 like this.