Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 50 years of "Playing ON the Freeway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

3. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Walt Brinker Tomas, Add this one from 2009! Walt Brinker
    [​IMG]
    Unlike · Reply · 1 · November 4 at 7:12pm
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Weller replied · 1 Reply

[​IMG]
    Walt Brinker
    I had read about Tomas in the newspaper, so in 2009 enroute to visit my son in California, I visited him to see whether he was for real. He is! We traded roadside survival tips, his wife, Patty, fed us, and she took the photo before I departed. Tomas make me look like a novice. Check this for advice which I know Tomas would agree with: http://www.wusa9.com/.../learning-roadside.../348078719
    [​IMG]
    Learning roadside survival tips
    Chris talks with Walt Brinker, expert in roadside assistance, about the tips and gear you need if your car is ever in need…
    WUSA9.COM|BY TEGNA

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

“It is often said that one has but one life to live, but that is nonsense. For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time.”
    ― Louis L'Amour, Education of a Wandering Man

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Took the Merc out to warm her up prior to installin a quart of silicone silicate in the cooling system hopin for a possible "fix" for her cracked head? blown head gasket?

Installed the silicone silicate and took her out on the I-8 EB towards Alpine to circulate the concoction -- ALmost TO Alpine, some ignorant fool cuts RIGHT in FRONT of me @ 70 mph+ to take the offramp I'm takin [​IMG]:O [​IMG]:p

NObody beHIND me but this MORon HAS to cut in FRONT of me! [​IMG]:p

LESS then a car length!! [​IMG]:p

IDIOT!!!!!!!

SOOOO -- I'm coming back WB and passing Lake Jennings Rd [ in traffic ] and I'm IN the #1 lane moving WITH the flow of traffic --

A car comes up behind me and gets closer and closer to my tail --

I flash my brake lites x3 rapidly ----- NO reaction [​IMG]:(

I hit my rear-facin strobes and emergency lights --- NO reaction [​IMG]:(

I have no ability to move to the right hand lane due to traffic unTILL passing the Greenfield DR overpass -- when I DO --

Car behind me comes up beSIDE me and the women IN it have their cellphones UP and videoin me! [​IMG]:O

Well, I don't mind the attention, BUT, please PAY attention to HOW close you FOLLOW on the freeway!

TOO many accidents are CAUSED by followin TOO close!

The FREEway is NOT supposed to BE a DOGpark!!!!!

tomorrow morning will be a decision -- one of three things -- either the crack-leak will be cured, there will be no change, OR, the engine will BE seized --

6. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

NOT "cured":confused: NO "change":confused: but at least it's not seized:rolleyes: [ still can move it around under it's own power, but with a pronounced miss ] -- but, unless or until a new engine magically appears, it looks like my iconic "ghostbusters" cars are finished [ all THREE ] -- maybe it's just *time* to quit -- :(

7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

BE the change you wish to SEE in the world!

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If I had a good running Y-Block, it would be yours, but since I'm mostly a Chevrolet guy, I can't help you out there! There has to be one or more HAMBERS close to you that could possibly fix you up with another engine or in repairing the one you have. It's hard when you only have older cars as daily drivers, and getting parts or work done in a timely fashion. What about swapping to a more modern engine, like a 302/overdrive automatic? Maybe start a Go-Fund-Me account; I'd kick in some funds. Maybe a public interest story by the media could generate replacement/repairs, or getting a "newer" car to use for your cause? Can the Ford HAMBER guys help? I know they rallied to help you out after your accident in getting one of your cars repaired. You don't strike me as a "quitter". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

SanDiegoHighwayman and Legends47 like this.
  9. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

endofthetrail.png Thank you for yer kind thoughts and words pardner -- Merc is dead now :( and Beulah is unusable -- too many issues w her :confused: for *me* to be helpin *others* anymore :oops: looks like the "End of the Trail" for me ---

10. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]

Pretty in pictures but only just ---------

11. Tomas,You did not say the procedure you used with the sodiu silicate...You are supposed to drain the system after running it good for mixing,,after draining,,let it set till sod sil has a chance to dry out,then refill the system...Maybe that's why yours didn't work??

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  12. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Merc was ok [ no "milk" in the oil ] prior to the Alpine run :( during the run, approaching the Tavern Rd turn off, there were a coupla loud explosions [ backfires? ] and the engine tried to die several times at the 2 lights I had to transit to git back to the freeway WB :oops:

I kept it goin by revin it in neutral while at the lights -- :eek:

once back on the interstate, I could feel "issues"

and now --

the oil IS milky :( and she's DEAD

I WAS able to move her TO the covered parking spot, between the house and the barn, where Beulah had sat for 4 years after being "killed" then Rick M of Vista hauled her up to his shop and [ uitilizing Marc J's donated front clip, and a LOT of time, effort, and money of his own ] "restored" her to life [ to the best of his ability ] FOR me for which I'll ALways BE grateful [ she's very pretty and runs well BUT is NOT "play on the freeway" operationally safe. I hired a guy who was recommended as an expert at wiring, who said 2 weeks and $1000 :( He had her 2 & 1/2 MONTHS and when I was called to come git her I'd given him $2000 -- she didn't make it home before "issues" became apparent and overall, she's WORSE off then she was before :eek:

Words can not describe my depression:oops:

As of now, Beulah is in my shop garage, because she moves on her own, but is NOT "operational" and the Merc *made it* TO the back spot, where she'll likely be "interred" till a miracle occurs -- or we hit the lottery:rolleyes:

IMG_1828.JPG IMG_1825.JPG

after 50 years, I no longer have an operational "Ghostbusters" car to "play on the freeway" with [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

November 26, 2012 at 12:09pm ·
    Subj: THANK YOU
    gas tank. I had already walked to a hotel parking lot, paid a cab to take me to a gas station, 1 gallon of gas didn’t cut it so I called my Acura roadside assistance. This takes quite a bit of time so I always attempt to “fix” it myself. I thought you were the roadside assistance, and little did I know,… who in fact you really were until I got home and pulled your card out of my pocket. I shook my head and instantly started crying. My older sister lost her baby to sudden infant death syndrome last week at just 1 week old. Thanksgiving I went to the Ralphs on University Ave in Hillcrest and bought a rotisserie chicken for a homeless woman I saw on the corner en route to meet my family for our own meal. I do the little things that mean the most. I had an extra $8.61 I did not mind sparing on a Holiday. Little did I know, this actually does pay off. I had the day from hell Saturday and the running out of gas just topped it off. I served 10 years in the Army, I have a Masters Degree, I have always tried relentlessly to make my mother happy. Nothing works. I had just had a screaming blow out with her 10 minutes prior to the empty gas tank. You have no idea what you did for me that day. I have your address and would like you to know that this kind deed did not go unnoticed. Because of you, and your selfless act, I will forever be grateful. You truly have changed my life, in every way, shape, & form.

I sincerely thank you from the kindness of my heart !

Tricia

Saxman and Flat Six Fix like this.
  15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Synchronicity at work at it's finest........

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    1 min ·
    Thomas Weller shared Denise Pollard's photo.
    November 27, 2014 ·
    Officer Kammy -- yer a DOLL! [​IMG]:)

Motor officer is protectin me as I crouch beside the motor home IN the fast lane to git the gas into it -- *some* folks jist don't GIT IT that they're *supposed* to MOVE OVER! when flashing lights are seen -- I had mine on and SO did the officer [ the "Move Over" law was recently instituted here in Calif ] and I have been priviledged to SEE ignorant motorists actually GET ticketed for NOT doing so on several occassions :rolleyes: when he notices that I'm clear, he's no longer worried and comes up to the back of the MH as I'm handin the gas can in the open driver's window so the the driver, who's already removed the "doghouse" engine cover, can prime the carb to git the engine started -- I made shure he put the aircleaner cover back ON and tightened it down beFORE he tries to crank it! [ seen several instances where MHs and vans w this engine configuration have caught fire and burned on backfirein after bein "primed"
    Kammy rolls up on the EB side jist about then to see if assistance is needed [​IMG]:D I bout fell off the CD when she gave me a "TOOT" :eek:
    & thankee kindly to the "motor" officer fer his "fuel costs" donation -- GOOD onya pardner! [​IMG]:)

[​IMG]
    Motorhome in the CD WB I-8 near Taylor --

Sinister likes this.
  17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Just a minute of one's time --

A Message From Your Neighbor - HeroicStories
    Assistance comes from an unexpected sources. After a neighbor drives by, leaving her stranded, a complete stranger stops to help.
    HEROICSTORIES.ORG

This what I aspire to as well to BE an inspiration

BE the change you wish to SEE in the world!
    Gandhi

[​IMG]
    Thomas Weller
    Years back, I was headed to Coronado for a family DO, on a HOT summer's day, when I passed a van on the RS of the 163 SB offramp -- I caught a glimpse of a handicapped hanger on the rearview mirror as I passed -- could see also a driver sittin in it w the windows down -- thought about it for a moment [ if I stopped, I'd be late ] BUT went back -- to DO so I had to exit the 163 @ Mercy Hospital, hang a Ue into their lower parkin lot, REenter the 163 NB TO the I-8 EB, exit @ Mission Valley Center, cross over and REenter I-8 WB to be ABLE to pull up beHIND the van. The van WAS OOG the driver was confined TO a wheelchair and suffering in the heat! Driver's cell was dead and he was *nearly* so -- delirious . FIRST thing I did was give him some COLD water from my small ice chest I always carry throughout the summer, and an ICED- wet handkerchief for around his neck -- snapped him RIGHT OUT of it! [​IMG]:) THEN, I gave him some gas -- then, I had to jumpstart the van as he'd been using the fanblower to move some air in an attempt to cool off and had run the battery down [ had BEEN there a while [​IMG]:( ] van started right up [​IMG]:) I was a leetil late gittin where *I* was goin --- but, what the hay [​IMG];) [​IMG]:)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  18. So all you need is to rewire the Ford (with all your accessories also) and now you need a motor for your Mercury?. Do you have a new wiring harness, what did the other person do and what needs to be done to finish her.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

With all the HAMBers in Southern California it seems to me some of them could get together and help you out by either helping to fix the wiring in the Ford or put the Ford's engine in the Merc.
    Where are all those famous car clubs out there?

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

1oldtimer, the list is endless, therefore my depression :(

no cabin lights
    no instrument lights
    strobes in taillights not working
    corning lights not working
    liftgate electric release not working
    RR window not working
    gas guage not registering
    side strobes not working
    brake lights not working as they should
    RF turn & side signals work erratically
    roof HI mt turn signals - BRAKE lights -- warning lights not functioning as they should
    controls for warning lights mixed up
    lo beam head lights dim
    wiring runs exposed and ugly -- TAPED to roof rack!
    fuses insufficient and poorly placed
    trailer hookups nonexixtant
    on and on and on :( :(
    just overwhelming for *me* now :(

I had exPECTED better :(

esPECIALLY for the time he HAD her :(

Merc, on the other hand *just* needs an engine but it's more then I can handle these days --

Can't DO either here --

Winter's [ hopefully, last couple have been poor ] our BUSY season to be ABLE to continue thru the year --

I think it's just nature's way of tellin me it's "time" o_O

Had Shela out for her morning walk this mornin, she fell 4 times, and the bright sun was causin her to flinch -- she's losin her eyesight & hearin and stability:(

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thankee kindly fer yer sentiments pardner -- I have HAD a LOT of "help" thu the years -- which is WHY I've been ABLE to DO for others what I've done -- it's been FUN and spirit lifting, but *my* time has come I'm afraid --

On the first day, God created the dog and said, “Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years.”

The dog said, “That’s a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I’ll give you back the other ten?” [ Shela's 17 ]

So God agreed.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said, “Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I’ll give you a 20-year life span.”

The monkey said, “Monkey tricks for 20 years? That’s a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back 10 like the dog did?”

And God agreed.

On the third day, God created the cow and said, “You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves, and give milk to support the farmer’s family. For this, I will give you a life span of 60 years.”

The cow said, “That’s kind of a tough life you want me to live for 60 years. How about twenty and I’ll give back the other forty?”

And God agreed again.

On the fourth day, God created man and said,

“Eat, sleep, play, marry, and enjoy your life. For this, I’ll give you 20 years.”

But man said, “Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my 20, the 40 the cow gave back, the 10 the monkey gave back, and the 10 the dog gave back; that makes 80, okay?” [ I'm 69 December 25th ]

“Okay,” said God, “You asked for it.”

So that is why for our first 20 years we eat, sleep, play, and enjoy ourselves. For the next 40 years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next 10 years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last 10 years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

I've BARKED -- WOOF! WOOF! [ insteada yellin HI ] to neighbors, passersby, and friends for as long as I kin remember -- it's just been *part* of my quirky? personality :rolleyes: back in the 70s, I usta [ when driving delivery for University Ford ] CROW when arriving @ a shop and no one was at the counter -- they'd hear me clear to the back and know University Ford IS here! :D I've ALways been a leetil ODD that way -- :confused:

anyways ------

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    41 coupe and Petejoe like this.
  23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

In my old age...
    Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked.....
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do.....
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

LOVE IT ! :D Petejoe

Petejoe likes this.

24. So if you were to get the Ford on the road you need a new wiring harness with additional circuits (since being original isn't needed) and someone to install it. To get the Merc going you need a good running motor and someone to install it.

Well if this is going to happen, I'm up for coming down there and spending time to get things right (I have some vacation days coming). Anyone local have some parts or a place to work, I'm thinking a Rebel 21 circuit wiring harness might fit the bill and then well see if any other parts are needed or a good used 292 (?) Y block.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    November 30, 2014 ·
    It lightened my soul, when, a CHP MC officer whom I'd twice encountered before at incidents where I was helpin folks stranded and had *warned* me both times that I could be ticketed for doing so encountered me for a third time as I was helpin a young sailor who'd run outta gas on *his* MC in middle lanes of the NB I-5 and had inadvertently caused a a traffic "issue" in gittin his bike to the RS safely -- I'd SEEN the "situation" developin and had LIT UP to git there, thru traffic, and protect the fella -- and the officer had seen *me* doin so and had "landed" behind me intendin to admonish me -------- ended up HELPIN me help the sailor instead [​IMG]:) [​IMG]:) [​IMG]:) left w a handshake & smiles [​IMG]:) [​IMG]:) [​IMG]:)

"What wisdom can you find that is greater then KINDNESS?"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Flat Six Fix likes this.
  26. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Tom, we can round up a couple guys and put the Ford motor in the Merc while try to round up another engine... Maybe only get by with just a short-block. You are pretty well known around 'Dago, just a matter of getting the word out amonst us locals to see what all we can get donated for parts, machine work and good ol' CASH. I know a few people, and they know even more people... You have enough KARMA comming back to you, I don't think you will be on the bench for too long! I'm going to put the word out to a couple people, get somthing going around town, maybe even SoCal.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  27. Hell, Thomas, 70 is the new 50, or so I've been told. Don't give up on this thing you do as long as you still love doing it. Don't lose heart, my friend. You have lots of good Karma coming and everything is fixable. There's always a way.
    I know your girl Shela is not doing that well and that's makes me kinda sad. I have a soft spot in my heart for our canine friends. I know what she means to you. Give her a kiss on the snout for me.

28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

*this* I don't want to do, I understand the reasoning, and I appreciate the thought, thank you, but --

29. I suggest if you don't have the funds Know How & self reliance . Quit and find another hobby. It may sound mean but its my opinion and advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.