Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Breaking in new lifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

If you are replacing lifters, but not the cam, do you still need to go through a cam break in routine? This an OT stock mid 70's Olds 350 hydraulic lifter engine, if that helps.

Thanks in advance

2. 73RR

73RR

Yes. However, if the lifters need replacing then what makes you think that the cam is good?

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

4. Sporty45

Sporty45

No obvious problem with the cam. The only reason I'm just replacing the lifters is because some of them seemed to be collapsed. This motor has been sitting for close to 20 years. It is a freebie that I'm using til I can afford to build what I want. Just trying to freshen it up a bit.

5. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I bought a rebuilt nailhead long block a while back that had been sitting for many years and it had the same problem. I removed the lifters that wouldn't pump up, took them apart and found that the discs underneath the plungers that act as a one way valve was stuck to the bottom of the plungers. Cleaned them all up and motor has run for years with no lifter problems.

6. Are the lifters collapsed or are there cam lobs gone or crap lifters with the base gone, that will stuff the cam!! JW

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wasted days and wasted nights.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

The above would be my first thought however, ..... I have successfully put a few new lifters on the old cam after isolating the noisy ones and eyeballing the action to be sure the cam wasn't totally flat. I used a liberal application of Isky's Rev-Lube but no 20-30 minute break-in.
    I don't know the Olds 350 very well but if you have to tear it down like a Chevy to get the lifters out aren't you most of the way into a cam change also?

9. Sporty45

Sporty45