Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HELP A FELLOW HAMBER OUT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56sedandelivery, Nov 28, 2016.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First of all, I'm way up here in the PNW, and I don't know the man, other than what I've read of him or by him, here on JJ/the HAMB. The San Diego Highwayman, AKA Tom Weller, is without a running/working rescue vehicle to continue in his "savior on the streets" endeavours the Southern California, San Diego freeway areas. All I can help out with is in $$$, some of you may be able to help out on labor, needed parts, or a complete engine. If someone "down there" can set up an account or a "clearing house" for labor/parts/$$$/whatever, I'll start by kicking in $500.00. Maybe/hopefully someone can kick in a good running engine, repairs to the existing engine/cooling system, or help out with labor, parts, or $$$. I know he was helped out once before a few years ago when one of his vehicles was wrecked and needed repairs, HAMBERS came through for him then. I don't even know if he would even be accepting of further help, or if he actually does want to finally retire from "his cause". So Ryan, HAMBERS, Southern Californians, millionaires, billionaires, or destitutes, what say you?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That was very generous of you to offer to donate $500 to help him but I think Thomas should seriously think about giving it up. He's got to be at least 70 years old and is very lucky that he has never been seriously injured or even killed while helping people on the side of the San Diego freeways. There was an incident here in the Louisville area last week where a father and son were helping a woman whose car had broken down on I-65 and they were hit by some drunk and the 21 year old was killed and his father is in intensive care (see link below). Thomas has helped thousands of people for half a century and I think it's time for him to find a safer and more appropriate way for someone his age to help others....

http://www.wdrb.com/story/33802217/...-was-one-of-a-kind-and-i-will-always-love-him

3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Haven't we been here before?

4. Or fix the Ford.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.

5. SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

239, 272, 292, 312 were the Y block sizes (?); may be others in the Lincoln-Mercury line up (I'm not a ford guy), but I'm sure the 292 would be workable. Guess we'll wait and see what shakes out of this thread.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I thought he just got a vehicle totally rebuilt from charity? Maybe that was an old thread? Good idea anyway

8. It would be nice if he could have just 1 of his cars repaired ,just to cruise around in.Bruce.

9. Inked Monkey, I think it was but they messed up the wiring and he just barely made it home with the wagon. Now I could be wrong but that's what I thought I read. Bruce.

10. Lebowski,I think it still would be nice for him to have 1 of his wagons just to cruise around in.Bruce.

11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Well then that donation of $500 should way cover a wiring job

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. Hamb brethren, I'm glad to see this thread as Thomas is in need of support. Glad to come down and do what I can. I think that the truck motor has a different oil pan config than a car but I'm sure it can be switched out.
    I've got a picker and a trailer if it goes that way.
    Hit me up.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Wow, that other post went south quick.

Anyhow, btt

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thankee kindly fellas -- I only just now came across this thread -- this is where the Merc is at this point -- IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1988.JPG

I got this far, and encountered difficulties in lining up the mounts:mad: -- [ happened the last time engine was replaced as well, like 15 years ago ] but I was stronger then --

One week ago today, I was hospitalized w a stroke,:eek: luckily, a mild one:confused: I'm told, and have learned in conversations with others who've suffered MUCH WORSE :(then I --

I am blessed to still BE here and be ABLE to do for myself -- but, I have to be careful how much I do

Kinda neat story bout my ambulance ride -- one of the 2 attractive angels -- female paramedics, [ how do I git so lucky? :D ] attending me related that *I* had assisted *her* on TWO separate occasions when her vehicle had broken down in the past -- and she STILL carried my pass it on card, and had it WITH her as she assisted *me* :)

they were HERE before Patti had hung up the phone from callin 911 [ the firehouse is just down the street ]

Fortunately, I'm a stroke survivor --

UNfortunately, my days as the Highwayman are likely through, for I won't jeopardize others, nor myself, by being less then full capacity to react to "situations" requiring it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Unfortunately, my days as the Highwayman are likely through, for I won't jeopardize others, nor myself, by being less then full capacity to react to "situations" requiring it.""

Highwayman you done good for a long time and hopefully a Hamber or two that live near you can stop by and lend you some "muscle"! I'd be there but I'm in the center of CT! Be great to get the car running as a cruiser.. Cool that one of the Paramedics was able to assist you in your time of need, Karma I guess? So from Hunter and I we wish you all the best..

Attached Files:

18. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I'm in northern ca, I wish I was closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat with a carload of gear heads to knock that job out. I sure hope there is someone in your area that can help out. I'm a fan of yours and I wish you the best

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app