Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought another Ford today

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by steinauge, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Well, I know for a fact that my brother, Steve bought the tube grille from J.C. Whitney, back in 1958 or 1959, but unfortunately we don't have a picture of it. He had switched the hood and hood latch bracket to a '51 along with '51 hinges and grille surround, so it worked out perfectly...However, your grill surely doesn't look much like the one from J.C. Whitney.. it was perfect in fit/spacing/ends curved back right at the edge of the surround...

2. Good to know, thanks.

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

At the turkey run swap meet I scored a front bumper that was kind of what I had been looking for for the Ford.It is off a 40s Chevy pickup . I went to work on it today and discovered it almost fit sort of.Ended up cutting it in half,getting everything lined up and welding it back together.I made a couple of mounts and got it bolted onto the car and am pleased that it makes the front end look so much more finished-well,it does to me anyway-.I will get it prettied up and post another pic in the next couple of days.[ [/ATTACH] DSCN1540.JPG DSCN1541.JPG

4. Looks good! Really like the way the grille turned out too.

donno21 likes this.
  5. donno21

donno21

Damn, what a transformation!! You Sir, are to be commended. I'm following this.

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thanks guys.Critch I am going to start on a new grille shortly.Same thing but I am going to get the curved ends to actually fit the body line and generally clean it up.Do you have your engine started yet?

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN1543.JPG Well,I made some modifications on the bumper mounts today and got the bumper in just a bit closer to the body.I have stripped the bumper down to bare metal and painted it with etching primer,hope to have it done and on the car tomorrow.

8. Yeah...about that...you'd think with being laid off the past 3 1/2 months I'd have knocked everything out by now. Truth is, I've still been just as busy with other stuff. I should have a chance this week to get the radiator out and see if the engine turns.

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got it finished and on the car today. I reckon I will start on the new grille tomorrow. DSCN1544.JPG

10. Rope, wire., string, tape, maybe wire ties..... all traditional

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The wire ties are mighty handy as temporary grille mounts. I am not sure there is any rope or bailing wire in the car.

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

Bumper looks good tucked up close like that!

13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got the thing registered tuesday(finally) and have been making short runs to see how it works.Seems pretty good so far.Goes,stops and steers, nothing has fallen off(yet).Hoping to get it to a guy I know next week who has a lift and hydraulic exh tubing bender so I can get a real exh system on it.Body work will of course be ongoing forever.

dlandberg likes this.
  14. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Great work man! Like the grille idé think it will look real good if you shape it up a little like you did write, did a tube grill on a 54 ford many years ago and that did turn out good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. HiHelix

HiHelix

TRUE

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Congrats on registeration!
    There's always work to do,but its a big milestone.

17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thanks guys.It needs a LOT of work but it is nice to be able to drive it! DSCN1548.JPG

18. Burnout video soon? :D

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

With a 6 and a powerglide likely not!

20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got the exhaust system on today.I actually have a full length welded ,fitted exhaust ! Drove the car over to Deland and back-about 60 miles round trip-and it seems to work fine.Very loud inside at this point but that isnt surprising as there is NO insulation,sound deadener,weatherstrip etc.I will get that fixed soon enough.Pretty pleased at this point.

21. You've done a lot of work in a short amount of time, I think you should be pleased. Cool to see your car on the road, congrats!

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you.I hope yours gets out of paint jail soon

23. You and me both! I'll be bangin' on that door over the holidays.

24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have been working on noise issues. Installed a rear firewall padded with carpet on the trunk side and did the interior side and rest of the interior with rubber mat.Since there are no side windows in the car yet the waterproof part is very important! All this did a lot for interior noise.I have also been dealing with clunks and rattles which are far fewer than I had expected.I am afraid I didnt use enough muffler ,the exhaust is pretty noisy.I am using 2 thrush glasspacks and above about 2500 its pretty loud.