Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Buick special 4 door sedan. Series 41. Build thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky, Nov 16, 2015.

1. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Just saw this build. Your going all out on this one. I love the diesel idea as something different. Thanks for all the pics. I'm collecting parts for my 56 and I'll be checking this out. Mine looks like your brother.

Attached Files:

2. Thanks. I actually kicked the diesel idea. It's getting a boosted ls 5.3.

Yours is the exact paint scheme mine will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Wish you kept the diesel, respect the build anyway. What a great 'comfort car' this is going to be!

Disturbing, re: powder coating chipping, I thought the process was much more durable. Did I waste my money powder coating my wheels (they haven't come back yet)?

4. The stuff I had done is no where near durable as they say. I wish I just left it paint.

5. I had wheels powder coated ( both sides ) in 2005 by Coker, 11 years back. No chips thus far.

6. [​IMG]

Honing out the king pin bushings.

[​IMG]

Finally got my lathe out of storage! 1952 Zubal Preci-Matic.
    I have a feeling it will come in handy when I cut up the column. I also wanted to try and make my own "portholes" for the fenders.
    And of course I'll make my own driveshaft.

[​IMG]

7. I ditched the diesel bc I thought the novelty of it would wear off and I would wish I put a nice quiet gasser in.

AndersF and LONG like this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BJR and michael knight like this.
  9. Attempted to install the disc brake swap. The kit is for a 57. 40-56 is different.
    At the rate progress has been going lately I expected nothing less.

If anyone is in the market for 57 disc swap brackets I have a Powdercoated set now for sale.

10. New brackets are on the way. Old ones are on eBay. Gotta keep on rolling.

11. Century

Century

Great build, keep it up

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  12. Thank you.

13. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Whats your thoughts on brake pedal/dual master cyl?

14. As of right now. Astrovan hydroboost with whatever disc brake master cyl fits the bill.

There will be some floor reconstruction to relocate the hole so I can check the res.

[​IMG]

15. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

ok just checking. i have the stock master on mine but want to change to a dual master and will need to replace pedal assy as well.

16. I saw scarebird had an adapter but it sounds like your going firewall mount? I was going to do that but there's something cool about the pedal in the floor. Even if it's just to see non car peoples reactions.

17. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

That's why I dig the Hamb. Different ideas and research I never seen the brkt with scarebird. That will work better with less work.

18. [​IMG]

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic to show the difference between 55 and 57 brackets.

[​IMG]

LONG and street rod lover like this.
  20. bet on black

bet on black

Looking good. Hoping to tear down my '53 Buick and do something similar. I already have the cavalier rack and other parts, but mine is running good now, so it's hard to take it off the road for a build

21. Thank you. This one was supposed to be a quick spray job and tuneup the nailhead. Somehow I got here. LOL I would say if it's running good leave it for now. Or at least until after mine is on the road and I can tell you if the cavalier rack was an awesome idea or not.

Actually my next few posts will probably be about wrapping up the rack. Primarily that center section where I have to make a plate for the tie rod ends to mount

Chrisbcritter and LONG like this.
  22. Hard to tell but the Ackerman is nice. It was fine when I originally set it up at ride height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

street rod lover likes this.
  23. Finished the bracket to mount the inner tie rods to the rack. I wonder if I should have just made the inner tie rods ends longer. But anyway this is the route I took. It's offset to make up for the rack being offset. So I get full lock to lock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drewfus likes this.
  24. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very cool build. Nice work

25. Thank you.

26. Really nice work being done, keep up the good work. Interesting thread, for certain.

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cool build, if you end up needing a hood or front fenders I have nice spares here in NY I am going to sell.
    It is too bad they made so much stuff here "illegal", I have done and am doing more old car builds but I do not post them here anymore.
    Good luck with the build!

28. Yeah. I actually would love to get my hands on a set of fenders and a good hood. My fenders look like some one hit them with a few rounds of from a shotgun. I'm in northeast Pa. Scranton.
    As far as the rules go im surprised my build hasn't been locked. I can appreciate preserving the past. But when it comes down to dual resi master and disc brakes vs single pot and drums. The answer is obvious.

Where do you post now? I also have this build on Hotrodders.com where you can do what you want but there's like 40 members so it's quiet.

29. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

sending you a PM

30. So on this plate I made. When I bolt it down the the rack I was thinking of 2 options.
    1. I can countersink the holes to 60* and use lugnuts to prevent it from coming loose.
    2. Use castle nuts and drill the studs for cotter pins.
    I'm leaning towards number 2.
    Any input?