Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. I see you are from around here.
    There is a forklift scrapyard in north Portland that sells parts for the motors. The forklifts have the lower power version of the engine, but the parts still interchange as it is the 153.

2. The 153 (Mercruiser 120) feels like it has half the power of a Mercruiser 170.
    so I'm adding an Eaton M90 blower.
    The blower was longer than my engine so I put that idea on hold

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Received my Mercruiser head from Charlie Stephens after its big trip to Australia,,I will use all the gear from my old head that has an extra combustion chamber on No 2 ,,,new head looks mint,,very happy with it ,,thanks Charlie ,,,engine going in my sons 28 coupe,, image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. jt1949

jt1949

Funny you say that... all 3 of the engines that I have purchased have come out of forklifts. :)

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Always some Mercruiser valve covers on eBay. Most are painted black. Mercruiser also has an aluminum side cover.

6. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Hi JT ,can you do a couple of pics of your forklift exhaust/intake manifolds ,,?

7. David Luttrull

David Luttrull

Roddy,
    I have a 79 Monza 151, V8 bell housing motor I intend to put into a 26 touring. Could you shed some light on what drive train you will be using?

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What are you doing with the '28 engine that's in your '26 now. I saw it on the Termite thread. Its a beauty.

9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

David I am using a 3 speed mustang Toploader with a Jeep shift top adapted to the original A rear end ,,the trans is already adapted behind the banger and works great ,,I will use a steel scatter shield and side mount to the frame as original ,,,

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have a 151 from a Jeep YJ. The block will bolt up to any small block Chevy bell housing. The Jeep bell housing looks like Ford pattern on trans side so a Mustang T5 might bolt up certainly a jeep will. I don't think I'd put 100 hp through the wooden wheels. I think the rear end from a Dodge D5 will bolt in and has a Chevy 6 lug pattern. Then you'll be into juice brakes and changing the front brakes and wheel. there goes your nice original '26. They are only stock once. You might be surprised what the old motor would do with better gears.

RoddyB34 likes this.
  11. David Luttrull

David Luttrull

Six Ball, I would love to sell the 28 motor, the whole drive train for that matter. I had a rod let go, but the crank appears to be fine. The engine has about 3000 miles on an align bore. I have quite a few other parts for that engine also, I am in central Indiana, about 50 north east of Indianapolis.
    As far as pushing much power thru the wooden wheels, I had an S-10 rear end, 4.10 gears, redrilled to fit the bolt pattern of the wheel, and alum adapter machined to space the wheel out to specs, and center the wheel so the lugs only hold the wheel on, they do not center it. I have no intentions of hot rodding this car, I just want to be able to cruise easy at 50, and be able to stop well. I think that engine is rated at something like 90 HP. The S-10 rear end with hydraulic brakes will be a major upgrade. I will probably go with a 700R4 auto trans, making it easier for my wife to drive, she loves to cruise it also. And I think the automatic will be easier on the wheels.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  12. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Anyone have recommendations for a dual carb intake? Need one for 181 8 port head. Did OMC (or others) ever use such a manifold. I have a single now.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There is a '28 Chevy engine thread on here. I bet you will find a buyer for the old parts near you. With the great interest in vintage racing you should have no problems. I'd be interested if it was closer. I think there is a 200R4 that is smaller and lighter and might be easier to install. Keep us up one what you do.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1928-chevy-4cyl-motor.463465/

David Luttrull likes this.
  14. I would like to add to your wish list. I would like a cast iron exhaust manifold for a 181 8 port head. If we are lucky Santa is listening.

Charlie Stephens

Count Scrapula and RoddyB34 like this.
  15. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if you fellas are gonna dream, how about an individual runner intake for dual Webers while we're at it?

16. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

With Mercruiser 8 port heads there appears to be 3 different port styles that I have seen so far ,I will be fabricating intake and exhaust manifolds ,,thanks again to Charlie Stephens for my cylinder head ,,,still like to see any pics of manifolds to suit though ,,,

17. karl share

karl share

Older hyster forklifts run the 3.0 lt or 181 engine

RoddyB34 likes this.
  18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Santa doesn't seem to be able to read my wish list. All I ever get from him is socks

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Maybe CNC Dude will read your Santa List. He has the means and I think there is a place for a small run here. :)

20. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Do any of you guys know if the ports on a 181 head are the same size as on chevy 6 cylender 292 thanks of Charlie the Quilt you of the merkcruser alumin is not the greatest qualty for polishing I found out

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think there are 3 different 181 heads. the 8 port ones don't have the same shape as the sixes.

22. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I will have to look and see what I have was wondering if I could cut down a offense houser 292 and make it work thanks 6 ball

23. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpeg
    Looks like a triple cut down ,,$ 329 at speedway then start cutting ,,,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  24. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Hey, That's my manifold and head. o_O So, yes on the 5 port heads the spacing is the same as the 6. I cut the back off of an Offenhauser 3X1 and will run 2 Zeniths. The exhaust spacing is the same as a small block but the 4 cylinder ports are larger. I'm working on adapting a Fenton Black Widow header. You can also cut down a set of six header flanges to build headers or even cut up a set of six headers. But this won't work on the 8 port heads.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    BigDTexasKid and RoddyB34 like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I looked back in this thread and see that my pictures went away whenGoogle screwed up Picasa. Here three about this.
    100_1619.jpg 100_1617.jpg 100_1622.jpg

6inarow likes this.
  27. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Wow that looks like you are coming along just fine

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those are old pictures. I've been stalled for a while.:( I have lots more good ideas though. :)

29. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

O good want get front axle to get Vega box set a guy that builds race class is goning build hepaders

30. Gunpilot

Gunpilot
    from Tennessee

Great thread. I recently purchased a Mercruiser 120 with intent to use it in a future roadster project. Unfortunately, as I was cleaning it today I found what appears to be a freeze crack in the block. Somewhere along the way someone attempted a JB Weld repair. It may in fact work, but I'm not going to risk it. I'll strip the engine down and see if anything is salvageable. Meanwhile; after reading this forum thread I'm encouraged to keep an eye out for another engine. Now that I'm back to ground zero, are there other similar compact 4 cylinder engines that offer equal or better performance in similar package?