Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Boxed Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butch, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. butch

butch
    from Michigan

I would like some info on boxed rods. Did they fill up beam with welding rod ? Or cut a pice of steel to fit and weld it in. Must have been real heavy. Hard to imagine something like that nowadays. Picks would be cool.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cut a piece of flat steel and welded it in. I have also seen some that had a rod welded in the center of the I-beam from the big end to the small end, I would think that that did very little other than add weight.

RICH B likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    All I know is that they were boxed like a frame to strengthen them. Primitive by today's standards however they were experimenting and leading the charge to go faster..

s55mercury66, RICH B and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

That's all there was till Fred Carrilo came along with his H beam machined rod, Freds rods were a work of art !!!

Used them for years and always spot on the money

DND

Speedwrench, Baron and mad mikey like this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Man, haven't heard that term in years. Had forgot they did that.

6. khead47

khead47

I once seen some rods beefed up with rebar! No shit!

7. i suppose you would have to straighten and resize both ends , and then add some weight to the crankshaft to balance it?

8. aaggie

aaggie

In 1961 I worked in a speed shop and we were bending rods in our Hemi dragster. The owner tried a set of Aluminum rods but they only lasted a few runs before stretching so he had a welder TIG boxing plates on some used stock rods and had it balanced. That engine lasted most of the season. Price wise the stuff from Callies, Eagle and others are a bargain today.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have seen that too!
    Heres a pic of a rod with a piece of square rod welded in the center of the beam. The actual boxed rods were supposedly pretty strong, but heavy. I will try to find a pic.
    328.jpg

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy