Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Curious what all you hambers do for work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 55Brodie

55Brodie

43 years selling industrial power transmission. Bearings, seals, chain and sprockets, belt drives, speed reducers and gearboxes, motors and drives, fluid power and industrial rubber products.

2. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

1123161624.jpg Just saw this page and thought its pretty cool, so figured id chime in even though its an older thread. I cowboyd for a good bit and for the last seven years ive been a dozer operator at a coal fired power plant. Those of us from Texas know what cowboying is. Ha ha.

LOU WELLS and DBruce like this.
  3. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im sort of a roady ,i haul equiptment for rock n roll bands across the country...WSP,The Boss,Billy ,etc..

DBruce likes this.
  4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Been a lot of things in my lifetime; the last being a drawbridge operator for a subcontractor of the Mass. DOT. Worked 90 feet above the Merrimac River in Newburyport, Mass. ( used to see some pretty interesting things going on down below- it's funny what people will do when they think nobody can see them!!)

Note: see the car magazines on the chair?? Pic #2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    rjones35, kiwijeff, clunker and 3 others like this.
  5. Auto body tech- painter.

DBruce likes this.
  6. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I'm a recovering carpenter, working as a facilities manager

clunker and DBruce like this.
  7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

8. sololobo

sololobo

vintage clothing and furniture dealer, expert at buying more than I can sell!!

9. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Originally design/draftsman then journeyman machinist, now HVAC tech- pays better no boss tons of sheetmetal equipment at my disposal.

lbcd and DBruce like this.
  10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I thought I had posted on this thread back in the long long ago. I'm a Central Plant operator for a Central CA university after 27 years in the field for one of the main HVAC manufactures. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, LOU WELLS and DBruce like this.
  11. Thought that was you up there....

falcongeorge and DBruce like this.
  12. I build props and sets. Recently did this one, spinning wheel game. Lots of welding. Was for an event broadcast live, so there was a huge amount of pressure for it to work perfectly without any hick-ups, failure not an option....

IMG_1479996464.735961.jpg IMG_1479996525.075880.jpg IMG_1479996609.907005.jpg IMG_1479996741.286906.jpg

I'm not much of a sports fan, but the famous sports guys around Boston sure keep food on my table. They're all really nice.

wraymen, Dino 64, LOU WELLS and 3 others like this.
  13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

For most of my adult life I was an automotive repair tech (mechanic) most of that was in a Ford dealership as a heavy repair tech - engine,transmission, rear end repair. I also was a production welder. After turning wrenches I got into warranty administration for an engine rebuilder and then a transmission rebuilder. Currently work in a Freightliner-Western Star dealer in the parts department

DBruce likes this.
  14. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I started out in auto body right out of high school, then realized I never saw a person retire from that career. I then went back to school to get a Machinist degree. Ran production CNC for a while, hated making 95000 of the same part with a 50 second cycle time. Next I got a job in a tool room and got a Wisconsin Journeyman Tool Maker card. Worked there for 13 years then company went overseas, and my job went in the toilet. At that point I got tired of someone else controlling my money. Now I work for myself, installing hard wood floors, and Love every minute of it.
    Tony

DBruce and clunker like this.
  15. Working really hard at being retired! Life has never been so busy or the days so short - unfair but that's life...

Previously I worked in IT for almost 30 years and then did other work until retiring in '13 ....

lothiandon1940, DBruce and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, I was on the flip side of your biz for a while, was a union stagehand for 8 or 9 years, lots of rock, hair metal and contemporary country, '87-'96, worked tech theater & road house for 4 years, then over 30 years as an arena operations manager. Retired Nov. 1st! Later, K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

DBruce likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Update:
    I drill oil and gas wells no more. The price of oil has seen to that (translating to lower fuel prices :) ) Thankfully I had 20 years of auto body repair to fall back on.

DBruce likes this.
  18. At the cusp of closing a career that started as a (in my mind) short time job as a GM parts counterman in 1970. Forty six and a half years at this point, approaching retirement from it next year. Have been a assistant manager, manager and one time service manager over the years. I did give up the management end in 1988, got tired of the politics in dealerships.

Will continue to work albeit at less hours in a Harley Davidson dealership, been in those part time since 1999. Almost changed twice, 1974 to go with the now defunct Bell System in a Central Office switchman assistant job and 1985 into a LEO position as a result of my volunteer Fire/EMS service out west.

DBruce likes this.
  19. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's some cool stuff! Don't need a 68 year old apprentice do you? (Mass. Carpenter's Local 26, retired)

Who might the attractive young Maiden be?? ( I know who the Big Dude is!!)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    clunker and DBruce like this.
  20. Forgot her name, she is a sportscaster on one of the cable channels. The big guy is really cool, he goes out of his way to be nice to everyone.

DBruce and mike bowling like this.
  21. I work in a jewelry store, I clean bird shit out of Cuckoo Clocks!

kiwijeff, j-jock and Roadsir like this.
  22. Parts dude for heavy truck dealership. 30+ yrs.
    Also part time bikini/beer inspector. Lifelong.

OahuEli, DBruce and LOU WELLS like this.
  23. I fit out vans so people can drive from there wheel chairs. A lot of fabrication and trim work. Been doing it for 18 years now. JW

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thats a hell of a job you have there. I bet you make people with disabilitys life so much better.

DBruce and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

SNIPER

DBruce likes this.
  26. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

27. chris' 38

chris' 38

Do you live in Clifford?

28. 2935ford

2935ford

The best job of all....retired! :)

29. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Design Engineer for a tier 1. I design High pressure fuel systems for GM and some Nissan. If you own a V6 or Four cylinder GM product built since 2009 to present its probably my system......I do the rail, pipe and injectors, my coworker has pump design. I apologize if you have had any issues;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DBruce likes this.
  30. Hey, K6 - met you on my way out to the Salt flats in '13. Thinking of hitting the LSR in early April and stopping by you on our way. I would love to catch up with you and the guys and hopefully get some of that great bbq ..... will start a conversation with you so we can do some planning ......

lothiandon1940 and DBruce like this.