Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Winter is coming. . . Got heat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Nov 22, 2016.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I've got a wood burner, what have you got? 1479869639418.jpg

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

Natural gas, forced air, hanging garage heater, set at 64 during the day, drops back to 60 at night, unless I'm working out there some night. 64 is a nice temp if you're working, a bit cool if your sitting around BSing. I'm a wimp. Gene

kbgreen, 73RR, stillrunners and 2 others like this.
  3. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Propane mr heater

robracer1 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  4. Abomb

Abomb

Same as Gene, 75K hanging furnace...I'm not at the shop everyday, so I keep it at 45, just to keep stuff from freezing. Doesn't take long to heat my 28 X 36 up to 60 or 65 when I'm wanting to work on something...

5. Central heat & air ~ No more open flame for me. HRP

6. butch

butch
    from Michigan

seb fontana likes this.
  7. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Heat Hell, I don't even have a Windshield!!!

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      355.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Toqwik

Toqwik

9. butch

butch
    from Michigan

Put this in last year. Had wood burner for years nice to step out in garage and just turn up heat.

Attached Files:

wheeldog57, seb fontana and 56shoebox like this.
  10. trollst

trollst

Wood stove, I'm surrounded by scads of the stuff, free heat for me, I don't paint in my shop, and don't handle flammables either, wood works for me. DSC05641.JPG

11. A very large outdoor wood stove....

DSCN1605.JPG

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10 foot long radiant tube heater.
    Efficient (electronic ignition no standing pilot flame ) natural gas fired and it takes combustion air in from outside.
    Gas or paint fumes are not an issue.

kbgreen and wheeldog57 like this.
  13. Wood stoves. I was cutting firewood today. And I had a bad tooth that's been slightly painful. The chainsawing set it off. injecting it with clove oil wasn't helping one bit. and it was too solid for me too pull. Drive to Mammoth Spring Ar. Dentist pull tooth. Cost $129 worth every penny. I up been feeding the outside wood stove. Its raining 48 outside 78 inside. Durn upper jaw where the offending molar was is throbbing hurting a considerable amount. By the time I left the dentist office the Pharmacy was closed. Didn't get to buy my pain prescription. Its heck being old.

14. Wheeldog, DANG and I thought my little shop was crowded. LOL.I have a P.Tack unit like the motels use. It has A.C. and heat plus when its real cold here I use a small propane torpedo with it. Both of mine are used but not abused.Bruce.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    stillrunners likes this.
  15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Kerosene torpedo heater. It smells but heats up the 19x25 garage in ten minutes.

16. Wheeldog, I never could use a wood burning stove with all the paint and thinners I have in my shop. There would be a BIG BOOM and a big hole left in the ground where my shop used to be. LOL. Bruce.

550Coupe likes this.
  17. NICE!!!!!Bruce.

18. Oldwood, yours looks like one I was working on a few years back. Bruce. HPIM0598.JPG

oldwood likes this.
  19. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Fan driven 220 volt electric heat. But we have the lowest hydro electricity prices in North America, but yet it's still not cheap. My garage is insulated with R20 walls and R40 attic, overhead doors are R 12 rated.
    I would have gone wood, but a huge deal to get insurance here with using any wood heat sources in garages. I wouldn't mind an oil fired furnace, too, again hating oil here is not anywhere near as common as years in the past. All natural gas or hydro electricity...

stillrunners likes this.
  20. I open the garage door in summer to cool and in winter I open door in afternoon to warm up.

kbgreen likes this.
  21. oj

oj

Don't talk about heat. My furnace crapped out Saturday, there was a power spike in a terrible windstorm (a very good friend lost his life, the wind blew his Harley into oncoming traffic at 60mph) and burned out the circuit boards for the burner and blower. I have replacement pieces coming but am forced to use propane and the fumes are horrible, my apprentice is taking the rest of the week off.

22. If anyone needs some excellent, cheap and simple to install heat in their shop/basement/anywhere, there's a company that makes these electric panels that mount on any ceiling (surface), they are radiant heat ( feels like you are standing in the sun). They are 220volt or 110volt, can be wired to a simple thermostat or even just wired to a light fixture in the ceiling and use the existing on/off switch. They come in different sizes, and can be used to replace panels in dropped ceilings, suspended or mounted to a wall/ ceiling.

Usually they are really expensive, and are used in high end residential and commercial applications. A lot of yoga studios use them, to get the room to 95 degrees (or something). But they offer a "woodshop Series", which are simply the scratched and dented ones that they can't sell normally, so they sell them super cheap (like 75% off). You could buy the panels to heat a large barn for a couple hundred $, or a room for less. And it's way efficient, a fraction of what electric baseboard heat costs each month. I originally bought them to heat my drafty old barn, which I was using as a woodshop, I needed a cheap heating system that would not combust the sawdust, and not involve plumbing or a chimney and not use up floor space. Now they keep me toasty as I work on my cars and bikes in there. They worked so well I put them in my basement and back porch. I've turned a lot of skeptical people onto them, and every one of them love it.

They are made in the US, they answer their phones, and an engineer will explain the technology and will help you design a system for your square footage/situation over the phone. Can't say enough praise for them really.

If you need cheap heat look into it, I'm a big fan.

http://www.sshcinc.com/commercialphotos.htm

IMG_1479908901.340736.jpg

IMG_1479908940.277392.jpg

If you zoom in you can see one up on the rafters next to the lights. Two 6 foot 220volt units keep this drafty building at 65 degrees all winter long here in New England for about $80 per month, (I do not like being cold), I think they were a couple hundred to buy.

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I got me one o them FIRE STOOLS from Home Despot. I've gotta do my 20lb bottle exchange today.

I went with this because it was cheap and I can just run the hose under my bay door instead of dealing with going thru-wall and having to get a 100lb tank delivered and serviced. I can also move this thing around if I need heat elsewhere. The math on my shop works out to needing around 15,000 BTU to heat it, so this little jobby is perfect and it cost less than $60.

Dyna-Glo 15K - 25K BTU Propane Convection Heater

[​IMG]

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  24. Wow. Sorry about your friend. That's awfully sad.

stillrunners and oj like this.
  25. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

I got a little natural gas wall unit My wife got me at lowes a few years ago. I think it was $125.00 bucks or so. Had a professional install the gas lines so I wouldn't blow myself and family up. Works pretty good. I shut it off if I'm going to paint.

26. same as Gene , but 45,000 BTU

who has a carbon monoxide detector in their garage?

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I built my shop I put radiant heat in the slab. Boiler is in the basement and piped out to the shop so I don't have to worry about a flame igniting fumes. I have a 220V high SEER window air conditioner that I mounted in a hole I cut into the side wall. 63 degrees in the winter feels a lot warmer when your feet are toasty, and occasionally I'll lay down on the warm slab just because I can.

28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Large Ford wood stove with city code inspector on duty..... SIEBERT 2014 001.JPG

29. I don't have one. When I start to pass out I turn off the torpedo heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillrunners and LOU WELLS like this.
  30. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I agree on your working/BSing temps. I'm running a high efficiency, natural gas, forced air, hanging garage heater. A Modine Hot Dawg heater and it's awesome. They are manufactured specifically for residential garages.

LOU WELLS likes this.