Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical better see this

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BURN OUT BOB, Nov 22, 2016.

1. My 3rd brake light install. Car is still 6 v so I bought this DROK 6v to 12v convertor. Pretty neat little package that says it puts out 10 amps. Haven't checked that out as I don't need that much for the GM 3rd brake light. Been testing it for a week & so far all is good. DROK says that you can run your radio off it. I don't run a radio in the roadster as the Brockmans & wind are music to my ears. Cost was less than $30.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Hnstray, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  2. Looks bright! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. What's the 3rd Brake light out of? been thinking about one for my 51, I drive it daily and the stock taillights are not as bright as I would like.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - where did you source the converter from? good idea to upgrade light to LEDs. lots of rides out there with 6v and thick dark glass brake light that are very hard to see by average driver behind you. found a site that lists converters from multiple sources to do a possible comparison www.shopbot.ca/dc-voltage-converter/price/canada/1050221

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice work there.
    3rd brake light is a very good idea.....may not be traditional but well worth the little effort to be seen better these days.

I took a perfect size and fit, late 70's Volvo 3rd brake light and installed on the rear shelf in my '35 slantback.

6. HiHelix

HiHelix

Very crafty indeed!

7. GM Blazer or suburban from the wrecking yard .$5.00

8. Amazon.com I think it was around $21.00. DROK makes different ones for less but not enclosed.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My '31 "A"hiboy roadster has a louvered rear deck lid and I inserted 7 ea. 2"x5/8" leds in the top row of louvers far enough inside that you must look very closely to see them unless they are illuminated. Several have either dimmed or died and I plan to redo and hope the new generation leds last better than these which are prolly 8-10 years old.
    For my '40 Ford coupe I'd like to mount leds at the very top of both sides of the split rear windowm on the inside, with the leds housed in some sort of case sealed against the glass so all the light goes outside and none to the interior.
    Juliano's has some that appear to be workable at the bottom of the windows, but with a slight rake, that's where you need it clear so you can see behind you. All you see out of the top part is the sky unless you have something very tall like a big truck or a bus behind you! Maybe sooner or later I'll figger out something that will work:rolleyes:

rpm56 likes this.
  10. I remember seeing that and was gonna ask you about it,but we got side track and you know how us old farts are we can't remember anything. HRP

11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Cool stuff Bob thanks for the idea and info! Joe

12. Bob....Great looking setup..flows real well with the car's lines. I may just have to take a walk in the local u-pull-it before the bad weather sets in. Mine's out of a late model Caddy, inside, and not led's, but they're still pretty bright. Just kind of a boxy shape I don't like. side panels, etc 021.JPG
    Ha..just realized I took this pic when I was doing the initial wiring on the car..had the wife come out and step on the brake pedal for me.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ok, I "see" the safety aspect... But...... LED third brake lights on the HAMB?? :confused:

14. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

I have a bucket list dream of doing Drag Week in my 29 roadster. A bright removable brake light would help to be seen at night. Nice idea!

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think most drivers now are so out of it about what is going on around them that they just don't see the brake lights on cars ahead of them unless they are way up high right in front of their eyes. And the brighter the better..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    rpm56 likes this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Led lights are super bright. We made a pod to fit a 49 led tail light as a third stop light. You can't miss these. 20161123_195809.jpg 20161123_195747.jpg

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

bob do you have this car on the road yet!!? been a long time since I talked with you!

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think I just posted this some wheres [I forget] But fits thread... 3rd Brake Light 001.jpg 3rd Brake Light 002.jpg

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and oldsjoe like this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

Did something similar with my '60 VW some years back; used another 1960 taillight lense and installed it behind the air intake below the rear window. As many of you HAMBer's know, those small hotrod taillights can be hard to see, so a third brake light is a small compromise for safety and peace of mind.

20. Hi Ben; Yes it has been a while hasn't it, time sure flies by when you are having fun. I been running it around town for a year or so but, still lots to do. Pic is in Needles Cal, down the road a ways. Been on light duty since the hospital stay so probably won't get much done this winter. Maybe some wiring like turn signals.

Attached Files:

markl350 likes this.
  21. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Kiwi,

Can you provide some insight into how you made these LED pods for the '49-'50 taillights? These look killer and give a traditional flair to a modern day feature.

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Kinda lends itself to an earlier car, but a Harley soft tail's front fender light worked well on my '33 coupe, it sat low,
    The car had a 10" section and channel...
    This lens was clear, some are amber, I used "dy-kem red"to change its color... used it for 18years...
    I mount them on the rear of the roof where the compound curve matches...
    This one is going onto my '30 A coupe...
    3rd brake 1 002.JPG 3rd brake 1 005.JPG 3rd brake 1 009.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  23. Looks too "street-rod-ish" for my taste.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well down under until very recently we were required to have a third brake light , but that was dropped, but I still kinda like them to make the dickhead drivers aware. LED lights are not trad but everyone comments how they glow, which in my mind is what you want.
    Nothing hi tec in making the pod just time and some filler really, we used some tubing for the stand and formed a little panel steel for the light pod using high temp glue ( that is bronze weld) It took time and planning . The light is secured by screws from underneath. The trickiest part is getting it square and level. Ours is a little off and is slightly too close to the rear window and if someone manages to squeeze int the back seat they can hear it touching the rear screen. The wires drop through the parcel shelf to bayonet fittings below. apologies for being a little vague but once you start the project it becomes more clear.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the idea and that added protection. I've something more traditional, this NOS Hollywood accessory lamp. I'll use a 12v bulb
    Hollywood stop light on.JPG Hollywood brake lamp.JPG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    LOST ANGEL likes this.
  26. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Won't protect from texters